The Student Room Group

How much student maintenance did you get?

Hopefully people don’t mind answering this but I was wondering how much student maintenance people got. Mainly for people in the uk

My household income is 25k and I’m getting the minimum which is like £4,200

Scroll to see replies

usually just over £9k - I'm in the lowest income bracket
I started on about £6k in my first year but this year I'm getting just over £8k.
Reply 3
Original post by vetstudent123
usually just over £9k - I'm in the lowest income bracket

Would you mind giving me an estimate at what would be classed as low income? The reason I ask is because my household is 25k but I got the minimum which got me confused as I was thinking I would get like £6k
Reply 4
Original post by vicvic38
I started on about £6k in my first year but this year I'm getting just over £8k.

Do you mind me asking what you house hold income is? I’m trying to make an estimate at what they give each household
Original post by Leahmitch
Do you mind me asking what you house hold income is? I’m trying to make an estimate at what they give each household

Oh gosh I don't actually know? See I think the actual gross income is something like £40-50k a year, however it is calculated on taxable income, rather than gross income. My father (the sole contributor to the household) has been siphoning a lot of money off into his pension (he amped it up just before I went away to my first year, which is why it increased to over £8k in my second year, and is remaining so into my third.) This money isn't taxable until he draws on it, so it makes our income look a lot lower.

How much lower exactly though, I cannot say.

Having looked at the bursary I receive from my uni, it looks like on paper he makes £35,001 - £37,500 a year.
Would you mind giving me an estimate at what would be classed as low income? The reason I ask is because my household is 25k but I got the minimum which got me confused as I was thinking I would get like £6k

Lowest income bracket is under 25k, I'm not sure how much my mum earns but I think it's in the low teens?
You should definitely be getting more than £4k though. I'm assuming you're applying to SFE? This is a basic table of around how much you should be getting:
Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 18.41.05.png
Lowest income bracket is under 25k, I'm not sure how much my mum earns but I think it's in the low teens?
You should definitely be getting more than £4k though. I'm assuming you're applying to SFE? This is a basic table of around how much you should be getting:

This is impacted by a number of factors (like how many dependents your household has.)
This is impacted by a number of factors (like how many dependents your household has.)

Yes, but I doubt it should fall all the way to £4200. OP (I can't remember if this is even a part of it anymore so this might not even be relevant) did you tick to get additional means tested maintenance loan?
Reply 9
Oh gosh I don't actually know? See I think the actual gross income is something like £40-50k a year, however it is calculated on taxable income, rather than gross income. My father (the sole contributor to the household) has been siphoning a lot of money off into his pension (he amped it up just before I went away to my first year, which is why it increased to over £8k in my second year, and is remaining so into my third.) This money isn't taxable until he draws on it, so it makes our income look a lot lower.

How much lower exactly though, I cannot say.

Having looked at the bursary I receive from my uni, it looks like on paper he makes £35,001 - £37,500 a year.

Thank you. That’s why I’m so confused because your household has more money than mine but you got a higher student finance then I did 😭😭😭that’s so odd the way it’s like that
Reply 10

I seen tables like that and they all said that for my household income I should be receiving about £7/8k and me and my sister depend on my mums income so I thought I’d be getting away more than 4K
I seen tables like that and they all said that for my household income I should be receiving about £7/8k and me and my sister depend on my mums income so I thought I’d be getting away more than 4K

I would go through your application again to double check for mistakes and if you can't find any, then contact student finance and have them take a look :smile:
Reply 12
I would go through your application again to double check for mistakes and if you can't find any, then contact student finance and have them take a look :smile:

I’ll do that now, hopefully I’ve made a mistake which is why it’s low
Reply 13
Would I just contact them and say that I think I’ve been given a low amount considering what my household income is?
I’m going into my second year and only getting 4k while the accommodation is about 5k so that's great for me :redface:
Reply 15
Thank you
CE8C76A6-F658-487B-B284-D3122E46E647.jpg.jpeg

I just thought I’d show you this first. Looking at what stated in the grey box are they sort of saying that I haven’t provided information about my household income?
Thank you
CE8C76A6-F658-487B-B284-D3122E46E647.jpg.jpeg

I just thought I’d show you this first. Looking at what stated in the grey box are they sort of saying that I haven’t provided information about my household income?

Yes. So the amount you have isn't means-tested i.e. is the basic amount everyone can get (I think everyone can get it?)

If you change it to yes change my maintenance loan and then provide household income information you will be able to get more in addition to the 4k or so you already have :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by TheStarboy
I’m going into my second year and only getting 4k while the accommodation is about 5k so that's great for me :redface:

Im first year but my loan is just about £500 off how much my accommodation costs which could be worse
Reply 18
Yes. So the amount you have isn't means-tested i.e. is the basic amount everyone can get (I think everyone can get it?)

If you change it to yes change my maintenance loan and then provide household income information you will be able to get more in addition to the 4k or so you already have :smile:

I’ve given them my mums p60 I think it is. What else would they need as I’ve given them that document
Reply 19
Yes, but I doubt it should fall all the way to £4200. OP (I can't remember if this is even a part of it anymore so this might not even be relevant) did you tick to get additional means tested maintenance loan?

I ticked the box that said I’d like to apply for the full 9k rather than just the 4K. I hope that’s what you mean

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending