The Student Room Group

Communication with Uni of Manchester

Hi, I am looking to study International Development at UoM. Since applying, their communication has been kind of poor, their system to accept the offer is really outdated and people take weeks to reply to emails. Is this a representation of the uni experience as a whole? Any opinions of the teaching quality in the Development department?
Original post by toyamariad
Hi, I am looking to study International Development at UoM. Since applying, their communication has been kind of poor, their system to accept the offer is really outdated and people take weeks to reply to emails. Is this a representation of the uni experience as a whole? Any opinions of the teaching quality in the Development department?

hi @toyamariad,

I study International Development at UEA, so, unfortunately, I can't help on the university side of things. I would say though, it's important to understand that universities are coping with a lot right now, so giving them a bit of space whilst COVID-19 is going on would be good. However, it's important that you do get communication from the university as a whole, as I didn't really hear from my department personally until a few weeks before I started. My advice here would be to search the head of school if you can and email them or email the UoM inquiries to see what they say!
If you have any questions about International Development as a whole, please let me know!

Becca (2nd year International Development Rep)
Reply 2
Original post by University of East Anglia UG Student Rep
hi @toyamariad,

I study International Development at UEA, so, unfortunately, I can't help on the university side of things. I would say though, it's important to understand that universities are coping with a lot right now, so giving them a bit of space whilst COVID-19 is going on would be good. However, it's important that you do get communication from the university as a whole, as I didn't really hear from my department personally until a few weeks before I started. My advice here would be to search the head of school if you can and email them or email the UoM inquiries to see what they say!
If you have any questions about International Development as a whole, please let me know!

Becca (2nd year International Development Rep)

Thank you! I am curious as a whole how valuable a degree in International Development is in regards to finding jobs in the field later. I guess it's the age old question of experience vs. education! Also I have been out of education for two years now and worrying if it may be hard to pick up such an essay and reading heavy subject. I know all unis will be slightly different but is there anything I can do to prep myself?
Original post by toyamariad
Thank you! I am curious as a whole how valuable a degree in International Development is in regards to finding jobs in the field later. I guess it's the age old question of experience vs. education! Also I have been out of education for two years now and worrying if it may be hard to pick up such an essay and reading heavy subject. I know all unis will be slightly different but is there anything I can do to prep myself?

@toyamariad,

One of my best friends on my course took like 3 gap years before coming to uni to study International Development and yes it is difficult, but it's probably one of the easier subjects to come back to as it's so broad and interesting what your study! I would say to make sure you're watching the news and reading about global issues and grab a few starter books off amazon about development so you know some broad terms :smile: In terms of careers, the opportunities are kind of endless really, you can go into governments both here and abroad, the UN, anywhere within a charity or traveling, to be honest! For example, my goal is to work within the marketing sector of a charity or do social media for a charity that I have a strong connection with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending