The Student Room Group

How do you forward park properly?

I seem to always struggle to forward park a car and I was wondering how I can do it properly. What's your advice? I can't seem to get the car straight and there isn't enough space.
Practise is the only real option.
Has your instructor told you how to do it? As in, that your body needs to be at the halfway point of the bay you want to park in then you need to full lock at that point. So your body needs to be aligned in the middle of the bay, and if it’s left hand, same thing.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous17!
Has your instructor told you how to do it? As in, that your body needs to be at the halfway point of the bay you want to park in then you need to full lock at that point. So your body needs to be aligned in the middle of the bay, and if it’s left hand, same thing.

Which part of the body should be at the halfway point?
Original post by 73iso
Which part of the body should be at the halfway point?

Um, ideally your whole body :lol: think your shoulders basically. When you forward park, you need to put some distance between your car and the side you want to park on. For example, if you’re parking on the right hand side bays, you should move further over to the left to allow room and leeway to full lock. Then, as your driving, your shoulders should be aligned to the half way point of the bay. Then, full lock. I’ll see if I can find some diagrams to explain what I mean properly
I don’t even use reference points anymore, I just use judgement and if its not right its easy to correct so meh.
Reply 6
IMO reverse bay parking is easier and the objectively safer option.
Reply 7
Original post by 73iso
I seem to always struggle to forward park a car and I was wondering how I can do it properly. What's your advice? I can't seem to get the car straight and there isn't enough space.

It's like parking backwards, but forwards.
Reply 8
You need to consult your driving instructor.

If you ain't got one cos you've passed then God help us all but you need a refresher lesson or something.
Original post by FRS500
You need to consult your driving instructor.

If you ain't got one cos you've passed then God help us all but you need a refresher lesson or something.

Bit dramatic
Reply 10
Original post by Nuffles
IMO reverse bay parking is easier and the objectively safer option.

Why is it safer to reverse park instead of forward parking?
Original post by 73iso

Cannot say if it is actually safer or not, but for me personally, I have always found it easier to revers into a parking bay, than forward park. So I suppose for me as an individual, it is safer, but this will vary with everyone. :smile:
Original post by Joshkav
Cannot say if it is actually safer or not, but for me personally, I have always found it easier to revers into a parking bay, than forward park. So I suppose for me as an individual, it is safer, but this will vary with everyone. :smile:

I rarely ever reverse park tbh, only if theres loads of space and no other car near.
Original post by ThuggerThugger
I rarely ever reverse park tbh, only if theres loads of space and no other car near.

I'm the complete opposite, only forward park when I have to. Don't even think about it, just automatically reverse park every time. Sometimes by mistake when I have to use the boot :biggrin:
Original post by 73iso

All your mirrors point back, not forwards, personally I find the mirrors way easier to use as reference points (esp when turning) than the snout of my car.

I'm happy enough to park forwards assuming I have 2+ car lengths to line up, but 9/10 I'll park backwards into a far smaller space.

(I've scudded my wheels several times parking forwards at the wrong angle, when reversing? never)
Original post by 73iso

Its just practice.. I still don't know how to drive properly. Although I have to...
Original post by Sarahp2000
Its just practice.. I still don't know how to drive properly. Although I have to...

Have you passed your test?
Original post by 73iso

Your mirrors point behind your car. When you reverse park, all you need to see is the parking bay behind you.

If you drive in forwards, then you need to see 180° around the rear of your car when you come to leave. This is next to impossible to do when reversing back out, especially if you have an SUV parked nose in either side of you. You can see literally eff all until you're already most of the way back out of the space.

Driving out forwards you have a much better view of what's going on. Stray children/toddlers especially are shorter than the bottom of the rear windscreen in most cars and you can very easily reverse over them. No such problem if you reverse park and drive out forwards.

Too many times I've been cruising through supermarket car parks and people have almost reversed out of their space into my path and I've had to brake to avoid hitting them. Never happens with people driving out forwards.
Reply 18
Original post by Nuffles
Your mirrors point behind your car. When you reverse park, all you need to see is the parking bay behind you.

If you drive in forwards, then you need to see 180° around the rear of your car when you come to leave. This is next to impossible to do when reversing back out, especially if you have an SUV parked nose in either side of you. You can see literally eff all until you're already most of the way back out of the space.

Driving out forwards you have a much better view of what's going on. Stray children/toddlers especially are shorter than the bottom of the rear windscreen in most cars and you can very easily reverse over them. No such problem if you reverse park and drive out forwards.

Too many times I've been cruising through supermarket car parks and people have almost reversed out of their space into my path and I've had to brake to avoid hitting them. Never happens with people driving out forwards.

Never thought of it this way, I like it!!

Quick Reply

Latest