The Student Room Group

Can you become a pilot with a travel and tourism level 3 diploma

I’m wondering what I should do for college
you may want to consider engineering !!! if your college do an BTEC engineering course would be great
I agree with the comment about engineering! I currently study the travel and tourism course and yes, it is possible for you to become a pilot after taking this course, but you’d have to study at university and go through years of training. Personally, I think you’d benefit more from the engineering course :smile:
University, engineering study or a tourism course are not routes to become a pilot but flight school is still open to lots of different applicants if they have gcse maths and physics at the right grade and meet the medical requirements, although right now might not be the best time for this career path with many pilots being made redundant but maybe there will be more opportunities in the future
Original post by Maxel.1566
University, engineering study or a tourism course are not routes to become a pilot but flight school is still open to lots of different applicants if they have gcse maths and physics at the right grade and meet the medical requirements, although right now might not be the best time for this career path with many pilots being made redundant but maybe there will be more opportunities in the future

I agree. However once completing a degree/flight school, the industry should be into recovery therefore opening more opportunities. It’s a risk, yes, but if they’re passionate that this is the right path for them, I say go for it! :smile:
Original post by Maxel.1566
right now might not be the best time for this career path with many pilots being made redundant but maybe there will be more opportunities in the future

That would be my thought, it could end up being a very expensive yet complete waste of time. There will be so many redundant pilots with exp floating around I suspect it would be hard for a newb to get in

As a tangent, I work in horticulture, grounds maintenance normally....quite often, the entry level roles are easy to walk into, no quals needed, often no exp..they'll give a newb a shot at it. Last few years? 2020 esp? nah, they want 3-5 years exp and a bunch of professional certs...because they know fine well there's a huge pile of redundant experienced labour desperate for work, why take a chance on a newb when there's far better candidates for the same £££?
Reply 7
Original post by StriderHort
That would be my thought, it could end up being a very expensive yet complete waste of time. There will be so many redundant pilots with exp floating around I suspect it would be hard for a newb to get in

As a tangent, I work in horticulture, grounds maintenance normally....quite often, the entry level roles are easy to walk into, no quals needed, often no exp..they'll give a newb a shot at it. Last few years? 2020 esp? nah, they want 3-5 years exp and a bunch of professional certs...because they know fine well there's a huge pile of redundant experienced labour desperate for work, why take a chance on a newb when there's far better candidates for the same £££?

So if I was to go straight to flight school, can I get in with a engineering diploma
Reply 8
Original post by Linden5
So if I was to go straight to flight school, can I get in with a engineering diploma

STEM subjects will make you more competitive than something in travel and tourism ever will, but lots of people want to become pilots, so it's very tough to get in.
Original post by Linden5

I have no idea on the tech qualifications side, i'm more pointing out that there's going to be a lot of experienced pilots competing for fewer vacancies for the foreseeable future.
Reply 10
Generally, you don't need a specific course to become a pilot.

But you WILL need the dosh and to be able to demonstrate academic aptitude in order to complete training.
Reply 11
Original post by FRS500
Generally, you don't need a specific course to become a pilot.

But you WILL need the dosh and to be able to demonstrate academic aptitude in order to complete training.

Where do people get 100k for flight school!!!? Is there a loan because I have money but not 100k!
Reply 12
Original post by Linden5
Where do people get 100k for flight school!!!? Is there a loan because I have money but not 100k!

- Work (people will save up a lot of money over the years);

- Loans (people will borrow from banks/finance companies and family);

- Remortgage parents' property (Parents might borrow against the value of their house);

- Existing savings;

- Sponsorship from an airline.

Any combination of the above really. It isn't unheard of for people in their 30's/40's to become pilots. Generally, these are career changers with some sense of stability in their lives who have already saved up a significant sum from a professional career and obvs have the house too which they can borrow against.

Given the current state of play with COVID-19, I wouldn't expect to be able to get sponsorship from airlines for some time tbh.
I was on the very verge of becoming a pilot for Aer Lingus when all this COVID kicked off and it fell through.

I don't know how invested you are in aviation news, but 1000's of experienced, qualified and type rated pilots have been made redundant in recent months, with cuts to continue. These pro pilots will be your competition in the coming years, so you really don't have a hope.

This is good news!! It means there's no rush for you to get into 100K debt to fund flight school.

In fact, if you're smart and thinking long-term, being a pilot is always a rather perilous career path. That's because one failed medical (eyes or ears developing a problem) and you'll be grounded for minimum 6 months if not permanently. Same with any broken bones or surgeries on worn out knees/backs/hips. And you don't make money when you're not in the air.

This is why having a different career and skillset to fall back on is vital, because it may not last forever.

So pick what subjects interest you, not what you think airlines might want. STEM subjects are seen favourably, but not exclusively important. Using myself as an example, my background is in policing and I did a degree in psychology and counselling. I've now gone back to Uni to study an unrelated part-time Masters (International Affairs), as the industry and job prospects are realistically dead for 5+ years (I'd say 7 minimum for sponsorships). In the meantime I'm hoping to keep my job as cabin crew so I can still fly, travel, and pop into the flight deck for take-offs and landings, etc.

My point is, life experience and varied skills are more important than a basic career path that leads to it - and you'll be rejected outright until you've lived, travelled, and experienced life.

Check out Mentour Aviation on YouTube and Captain Joe for more insider knowledge and let me know if you've any further questions I can help with!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending