The Student Room Group
Campus
University of Wales Trinity Saint David

Is brynmill/uplands a good place to live for studying at UWTSD?

I've yet to see Swansea in person before accepting the Uni's offer, but from what I've gathered, Brynmill and Uplands seem the place to be for students living in private housing, gonna give student halls a pass as I'm a mature student

Is it worth looking into although being around 1.5 miles away from Campus? There's Port Tennant to the east of the campus, but there's little info on what that's like.

I have a car, so if you know what the traffic is like between these areas and the city centre let me know :P

Cheers!
Original post by CptJapseye
I've yet to see Swansea in person before accepting the Uni's offer, but from what I've gathered, Brynmill and Uplands seem the place to be for students living in private housing, gonna give student halls a pass as I'm a mature student

Is it worth looking into although being around 1.5 miles away from Campus? There's Port Tennant to the east of the campus, but there's little info on what that's like.

I have a car, so if you know what the traffic is like between these areas and the city centre let me know :P

Cheers!

Let me start by saying I am a long standing resident of Swansea who worked nearly 40 years in the city centre so know it very well.

UWTSD has 3 campuses in Swansea. The Art and Media departments are housed in the city centre on a straight road from Uplands in. It is called Walter Road and goes straight from the Uplands shops down. The Business Centre is a little bit further away say a 5 minute walk away just past the railway station. The rest of the subjects are in SA1 which is approx 20 minutes on from the city centre. There is basically nowhere to park on any of the campuses and if you then it is going to cost. People working in the city centre often use the Park and Rides for that reason.
Uplands in particular is a really nice area and the Brynmill and Uplands area for many years have been where students from Swansea University have chosen to live. There is a direct bus from the Uplands shop that goes from Swansea University through Uplands and stops quite close to the Arts and Business campuses. It also stops on the main route for the new campus from where you would have an approx 10 minute walk possibly less.

The St Thomas and Port Tennant areas have not traditionally been student area and are not as up market as Uplands. There were docklands areas although since Swansea university built the Bay campus students have started living there.

I realise that you are saying that you do not want to stay in private halls but they are worth looking at. There are often many students on this site looking for flatmates so go through the threads and see if you can find somewhere.

Basically Uplands is the nicest of all the areas and as I said there is a bus connecting it with all the campuses. The number 10 will take say 10 minutes to the arts/media buildings are a few minutes further to the Business campus. If you are going to be studying at the new campus in SA 1 then the number 8 or 9 is more direct.

I would strongly urge you against using your car. In fact, you will hardly ever use it as wherever you stay you are likely to be within about 20 minutes walk to the city centre and parking is a nightmare.

I hope this has been of help but id I can help you further please ask.

http://glcstudentproperties.com/
https://www.studentroost.co.uk/locations/swansea
https://omniaspace.co.uk/accommodation/oldway-centre/
https://www.primestudentliving.com/swansea/
Campus
University of Wales Trinity Saint David
Not a uni student (in college) but I am also a Swansea local and I’d say uplands/brynmill are nicer then the port tennant area, though I can’t comment on distance to the UWTSD it is very easy to get buses from uplands into the city centre and other places in Swansea.
The uplands/brynmill area is quite lively with lots of nice restaurants and bars etc and lots of nice parks. Also close to the sea, although that’s not that hard in Swansea. If you have any questions about life in Swansea hmu (although I am a college student so can’t comment on some stuff)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending