The Student Room Group

What should you do if you regret one of your GCSE options

In year 10 and regret picking one of my options, I know it may be too late to change now, but really hating the subject. Any ideas on what to do?
Reply 1
I’d say suck it up, I didn’t like all my GCSE subjects but that’s what helped me know what I wanted to do at A Level. It may seem like a long road ahead for it but just avoid letting it bother you. You may as well do your best in it since you’ll enjoy it more getting good grades than if you get bad grades that make you hate it even more. What subject is it?
A single GCSE probably wouldn't take as long to learn as you'd imagine, and if you're in Year 10, you can probably assume that you've only covered half of that (perhaps less with COVID) so if you really wanted to change, you may be able to, if you're willing enough.
Reply 3
depends on what you want to change it too, if it's a large subject and might be a lot of catch up, you'll probably have to speak to head of year or a head teacher and mention it with subject teachers. I know someone who dropped computer science for music and the head teacher let them do it because they knew how to play an instrument. so it is possible but difficult to do.
Original post by tigerqueen
In year 10 and regret picking one of my options, I know it may be too late to change now, but really hating the subject. Any ideas on what to do?

It's not too late to change.

Change it if it makes you feel better. You don't wanna regret it. You'll catch up easily GCSEs are pretty easy.

If u need any help just come to TSR, ppl on here are lovely and will probs help u :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by mazenod
I’d say suck it up, I didn’t like all my GCSE subjects but that’s what helped me know what I wanted to do at A Level. It may seem like a long road ahead for it but just avoid letting it bother you. You may as well do your best in it since you’ll enjoy it more getting good grades than if you get bad grades that make you hate it even more. What subject is it?

Thanks for helping out, the subject is history.
Reply 6
Original post by robertgallacher
A single GCSE probably wouldn't take as long to learn as you'd imagine, and if you're in Year 10, you can probably assume that you've only covered half of that (perhaps less with COVID) so if you really wanted to change, you may be able to, if you're willing enough.

Thanks for the help.

Secondary school is more about getting the grades than learning tbh -_- or even learning how to learn i say thats the stupidest shi...
Reply 8
Original post by Azurekalyani
Secondary school is more about getting the grades than learning tbh -_- or even learning how to learn i say thats the stupidest shi...

That’s so true.
Reply 9
Original post by vix.xvi
It's not too late to change.

Change it if it makes you feel better. You don't wanna regret it. You'll catch up easily GCSEs are pretty easy.

If u need any help just come to TSR, ppl on here are lovely and will probs help u :smile:

Thank you for the suggestion :smile:

Ask your department head and examination officer to not enter you for any exams or assessments, thus giving you a free bye without having to work for it, and avoiding getting graded.

Quick Reply

Latest