The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Am i too old?

Hi I'm 35 and just gone back to college to get my gcse maths and English, i would like to do a degree but i will have to work due to circumstances... Im looking at doing a biology or education kind of degree with a view to becoming a teacher but i worry if it takes me 3-4 years i will be approaching 40! Realistically is it worth me trying or have i missed the boat?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you want to do it then yeah, go for it. Don't worry about age.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
I'm not sure about weather i stick to an education degree or do it or something els , thinking maybe primary but not sure why ... Maths isn't a strong point
Reply 3
Original post by Strach2k
Hi I'm 35 and just gone back to college to get my gcse maths and English, i would like to do a degree but i will have to work due to circumstances... Im looking at doing a biology or education kind of degree with a view to becoming a teacher but i worry if it takes me 3-4 years i will be approaching 40! Realistically is it worth me trying or have i missed the boat?

This is blunt but you have two choices: You can either be 40 with your desired degree and be doing your dream job or 40 and still no degree or qualifications. The choice is yours.

Nobody is ever too old to go back into education, you can do it!
Reply 4
Also can i apply for finance before choosing a course?
Reply 5
Original post by ryukk
This is blunt but you have two choices: You can either be 40 with your desired degree and be doing your dream job or 40 and still no degree or qualifications. The choice is yours.

Nobody is ever too old to go back into education, you can do it!

Love this answer, straight to the point and exactly what i need to hear!
Reply 6
Should have added im looking at the open university and would be looking to squeeze a full time degree in do 30+ hours a week at my age can it be done as well as working 5 days a week??
Should have added im looking at the open university and would be looking to squeeze a full time degree in do 30+ hours a week at my age can it be done as well as working 5 days a week??

I would say do an Access to HE course at your local college. (tuition fees for this are wiped once you go on to complete a degree)

Do Bsc Biology -> PGCE (4 years)
OR
BA teaching related then work placements.

You will be expected to go on school placements for teaching courses.

You are not too old, you need to just do it. We are always learning no matter the age.

Note: There are a few non-degree routes into teaching which may be quicker. All the info you need is here: https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/
Reply 8
Original post by iDeano
I would say do an Access to HE course at your local college. (tuition fees for this are wiped once you go on to complete a degree)

Do Bsc Biology -> PGCE (4 years)
OR
BA teaching related then work placements.

You will be expected to go on school placements for teaching courses.

You are not too old, you need to just do it. We are always learning no matter the age.

Note: There are a few non-degree routes into teaching which may be quicker. All the info you need is here: https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/

An access to he course is Monday and Tuesday i can't get both days off work without upsetting the apple cart and given the covid situation i don't want to right now.. I have 2 kids and a family and I'm a manager so it's quite a secure job for now. That's why i was thinking the Ou route i realise i have to find a placement but could do that further into the degree?
An access to he course is Monday and Tuesday i can't get both days off work without upsetting the apple cart and given the covid situation i don't want to right now.. I have 2 kids and a family and I'm a manager so it's quite a secure job for now. That's why i was thinking the Ou route i realise i have to find a placement but could do that further into the degree?

I've never looked into teaching via the open university so you would have to do further research on that. :smile: Just know it's coming.

You can do access courses via distance learning. Visit this link https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/en/course-search and click distance learning.
Reply 10
Yeah but if i start on a degree with the ou then i bypass the access course and get straight down to working towards the qualification, time isn't hugely on my side..

Are you saying you need to do GCSEs, BTEC/A-level then do an education degree part time?

Because I think 3-4 years would be pretty optimistic (it could well take quite a bit longer). I don’t wanna put a dampener on the situation, just be realistic,
The OU don’t do a teaching route in itself. They do childhood studies but doesn’t qualify you as a teacher.
They do however do biology and plenty of other subject degrees if you wanted to teach secondary.
You would then have to do your one years post grad teaching after that.

As for studying and working full time-many of us do it. And yes it’s hard, yes it can be time consuming but it’s not impossible. It all comes down to time management. You can also mix it up so you start full time and then split your final year into two so it would take 4years. (Full-time would be 3years, part time would be 6years in general)
Funding depends on where you live but your age doesn’t factor in.
Reply 13
Original post by mnot
Are you saying you need to do GCSEs, BTEC/A-level then do an education degree part time?

Because I think 3-4 years would be pretty optimistic (it could well take quite a bit longer). I don’t wanna put a dampener oni as the
n the situation, just be realistic,

No as the open university have no minimum requirements... I am hoping to pass maths and English gcse this august depending on predicted grades but then after... I know i want to make something of my life... Id like a more rewarding job and like i say interested in biology and others
Reply 15
Original post by GabiAbi84
The OU don’t do a teaching route in itself. They do childhood studies but doesn’t qualify you as a teacher.
They do however do biology and plenty of other subject degrees if you wanted to teach secondary.
You would then have to do your one years post grad teaching after that.

As for studying and working full time-many of us do it. And yes it’s hard, yes it can be time consuming but it’s not impossible. It all comes down to time management. You can also mix it up so you start full time and then split your final year into two so it would take 4years. (Full-time would be 3years, part time would be 6years in general)
Funding depends on whether do a re you live but your age doesn’t factor in.

They do a degree in education... Then id need a pcge to gain itt status?
https://help.open.ac.uk/becoming-a-teacher

This link provides info about becoming a teacher through the OU and what paths are available depending on where you live
Reply 17
https://help.open.ac.uk/becoming-a-teacher

This link provides info about becoming a teacher through the OU and what paths are available depending on where you live

That's very helpful thankyou... If i did a biology degree could i get on to a pcge after as that's clearly a science degree one if the core subjects?
Would you be wanting to teach primary or secondary?
Reply 19
Would you be wanting to teach primary or secondary?

I feel primary maybe a slightly better option,

Quick Reply

Latest