The Student Room Group

How to get good at problem solving

It's a skill that I don't really have lol. I've hardly ever solved tough questions correctly, but when I see the answer it makes sense.

I wanna get good at it cuz I think its a pretty important skill, especially to get into good unis.

Are there any websites, books,courses or youtube channels you would recommend? I would be really grateful for any suggestions:smile: thank you
Reply 1
Practice... That’s the main thing. A good thing to do is to look at other people solving problems and analysing their process and techniques.
Original post by mazenod
Practice... That’s the main thing. A good thing to do is to look at other people solving problems and analysing their process and techniques.

thankss
is it true that people are just naturally good at Problem solving or do they actually have to practice to get good at it?
Reply 3
Original post by vix.xvi
thankss
is it true that people are just naturally good at Problem solving or do they actually have to practice to get good at it?

It, like many other things, is a combination of the two, but as long as you aren’t awful you can always get yourself to a decent standard. Personally, it comes naturally, but I know that having seen other people’s processes has enriched my abilities and practice - especially in mathsy problems - is very useful
Reply 4
Original post by vix.xvi
thankss

If you are a good mathematician, I recommend looking at some of the UKMT Maths Challenge questions and Team Maths Challenge questions, which offer the opportunity to apply both learnt techniques and problem solving skills, unlike many other maths questions
Original post by vix.xvi
It's a skill that I don't really have lol. I've hardly ever solved tough questions correctly, but when I see the answer it makes sense.

I wanna get good at it cuz I think its a pretty important skill, especially to get into good unis.

Are there any websites, books,courses or youtube channels you would recommend? I would be really grateful for any suggestions:smile: thank you

Do maths lots of it. (Quick non-calculator algebraic ones)
Poker as well perhaps.
Logic based puzzles
Non-verbal reasoning.
Reply 6
There's no such thing as a maths-person. Not in my opinion at least.
I'd recommend practicing long, tough questions like the ones no the BMO1, BMO2, SMO1, SMO2 etc.
Sitting down and doing a paper for an hour sounds bad, but the questions are surprisingly fun.

Quick Reply

Latest