The Student Room Group

help with uni course

I've wanted to do medicine for as long as I can remember but lol that dream is out the window! So I've been looking at different courses. I like to know and plan things ahead as I just freak out if I don't know what im doing, i'm stuck between a few other courses now. Does anyone have any opinions on pharmacy, midwifery or audiology? As I'm unsure which one to go for after A levels, i do biology, chemistry and psychology thanks :smile:
Original post by xmelanieee
I've wanted to do medicine for as long as I can remember but lol that dream is out the window! So I've been looking at different courses. I like to know and plan things ahead as I just freak out if I don't know what im doing, i'm stuck between a few other courses now. Does anyone have any opinions on pharmacy, midwifery or audiology? As I'm unsure which one to go for after A levels, i do biology, chemistry and psychology thanks :smile:

Hello!

Might I ask why medicine is out of the window? Is there anything I can help with? I wouldn't know anything in particular about the other healthcare courses you mentioned but if you had any particular questions then I will try answering!

Best Wishes,
MJ
4th Year MBBS
Official Uni Rep St. George's
Dont discart medicine so quickly especially if its something you really wanted to do. I speak from experience having done an undergraduate in biomedical sciences before applying for graduate medicine. I now study medicine in the University of edinburgh
Original post by St George's, University of London
Hello!

Might I ask why medicine is out of the window? Is there anything I can help with? I wouldn't know anything in particular about the other healthcare courses you mentioned but if you had any particular questions then I will try answering!

Best Wishes,
MJ
4th Year MBBS
Official Uni Rep St. George's

Well I've been back and forth with medicine and I know it's a tough course so I wanted to be 100% certain before going for it. But I've been worrying so much about how I'm not intelligent enough to do the course so I just don't think it'll be right for me
Original post by stantheman12
Dont discart medicine so quickly especially if its something you really wanted to do. I speak from experience having done an undergraduate in biomedical sciences before applying for graduate medicine. I now study medicine in the University of edinburgh

Oh I didn't know you could do that... I've just been unsure about medicine for so long that I just don't think I'll be able to do it
Once you do your ucat, you'll have a rough idea if you want to pursue medicine but St George's and some other unis do biomed which leads entry onto medicine, of course you can always pharmacy/optometry/physiotherapy/ but it depends on what you want to do. Pharmacy takes up 4 years and has alot of biology...

I think you can do medicine, use "i don't think i can do it" as motivation to do it,
Original post by astayuno
Once you do your ucat, you'll have a rough idea if you want to pursue medicine but St George's and some other unis do biomed which leads entry onto medicine, of course you can always pharmacy/optometry/physiotherapy/ but it depends on what you want to do. Pharmacy takes up 4 years and has alot of biology...

I think you can do medicine, use "i don't think i can do it" as motivation to do it,

So is it possible to do a UCAT just to see how things go and if i do terrible, just end up doing something else? As I don't want to live regretting the fact that I didn't go for medicine but I'm also really anxious about failing everything and disappointing myself as well as everyone else around me
Original post by xmelanieee
So is it possible to do a UCAT just to see how things go and if i do terrible, just end up doing something else? As I don't want to live regretting the fact that I didn't go for medicine but I'm also really anxious about failing everything and disappointing myself as well as everyone else around me

Yes, if you have the predicted grades and get the ucat done early, you'll have time to asses the situation and make a coherent decision, the reason why you feel anxious about failing is because you don't see yourself to be good enough/the thought of causing disappointment. That is valuable as it shows you have insight and a synoptic mindset which is a trait doctors posses.

Believe me, it's better to give it a shot because you will always have the last choice as a safety (insurance)
Yes, if you have the predicted grades and get the ucat done early, you'll have time to asses the situation and make a coherent decision, the reason why you feel anxious about failing is because you don't see yourself to be good enough/the thought of causing disappointment. That is valuable as it shows you have insight and a synoptic mindset which is a trait doctors posses.

Believe me, it's better to give it a shot because you will always have the last choice as a safety (insurance)

Okay, thank you so much for the encouragement
Hi my GCSEs were 1 A*, 2 A's, 3 B's and 5 C's. But i'm predicted ABB for A levels. Are my GCSE grades going to let me down (to study pharmacy at Aston uni)?
Original post by sunshine34
Hi my GCSEs were 1 A*, 2 A's, 3 B's and 5 C's. But i'm predicted ABB for A levels. Are my GCSE grades going to let me down (to study pharmacy at Aston uni)?

Nope, as long as you meet the a level offer requirements :h:

The entry requirements for optometry at Aston are AAB i think :frown:

Just realised i meant optometry!
Original post by sunshine34
Just realised i meant optometry!

Yes but if you perform well in the interview it can be ABB, some just look at your personal statement like Cardiff and if it's really good then you may get an offer with ABB, of course YOU CAN GET HIGHER THAN THIS !!! don't let the a's scare u, if you put in the work you can get AAB

Quick Reply

Latest