The Student Room Group

"Get a man to do that for you.... and other fun titles"

Hey people,

(For context) I'm 5ft,2in 9/10 stone (pretty slim just got a lot of muscle I suppose. (dad says I have rugby legs lol) I'm 21. 100% healthy by my doctor.

Now. I'm a little annoyed and wanted some people to talk about this. I work in a warehouse, (supermarket) I do joint grocery/backdoor mostly backdoor and grocery if theres stuff to do)

I'm the only female on backdoor, thats fine (6 males and me) I'm pretty strong, can do 99.9% of what my male collegues can do. (just issue with lifting some cages from flat on floor to standing mostly due to my height haha)

I take heavy stuff out all the time, (pallets of stuff like pepsi, sand, rocks all sorts all manual pumptruck) I get so many damn sexist comments. At least 2-3 a DAY.

I unload and backload trucks I take most of the 60-100 (depends on backstock) delivery cages onto shop floor for night staff to work with my collegue) (takes a few hours).

Some comments from drivers and customers alike -

"You should get a man to do that"

"Thats too heavy for you (literally something light to me like dog food)

" Isn't backdoor hard for you? Yeah it has to be come on.... Its hard..." (mate its hard for everyone male or female sometimes, its physically demanding sometimes we're tired)

" Wheres the backdoorman?" me - "thats me tonight" - "oh, but you're a female" (no joke that was said)

Etc...

I'm just so tired of being commented on. I'm used to pulling this stuff, I used to lift BIB boxes at my old job and stack 18kg boxes of frozen meat in our freezer. (used to get 8-10 boxes sometimes)

Anyone else has this issue?

TLDR - I can lift and pull heavy stuff, 5ft2inch 9-10 stone. Get constant sexist or rude comments about how a man should do it all for me.

#SorryLongRant.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maybe some witty responses might shut people up. The issue with providing a service is that you can’t bounce back or you risk people complaining... It’s the perfect environment for *******s to thrive in. Have You spoken to colleagues about it?
I mean you are 5ft,2in and weigh very little so most guys would assume that you need some help
My colleagues are all respectful and know what I can do and some even said they respect me that I work hard and I'm not afraid of doing manual labor. Etc.

Some give me a look of "don't murder the driver/customer" I do usually explain "so what? I'm used to this I do this it's my job theres not many of us but oh well" customers I'm more aware and say stuff like "haha I' m used to this, I do this all the time so..."
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by LordFahid
I mean you are 5ft,2in and weigh very little so most guys would assume that you need some help

I get that, I really do. It's the comments, no need to say it in a rude or sexist manner. "do you need some help with that?" "would you like me to?" etc is completely fine for people who well don't know me.

I myself let whoever try a cage for themselves and if I see they're really struggling I ask "do you need some help with that cage/etc" I don't say "Maybe a man could do that for you" lmao.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Gabbie Shortie
I get that, I really do. It's the comments, no need to say it in a rude or sexist manner. "do you need some help with that?" "would you like me to?" etc is completely fine for people who well don't know me.

I myself let whoever try a cage for themselves and of I see they're really struggling I ask "do you need some help with that cage/etc" I don't say "Maybe a man could do that for you" lmao.

We live in an unfortunately sexist world. It won’t change overnight i’m afraid. I’m not sure there is much that you can do
Original post by mazenod
We live in an unfortunately sexist world. It won’t change overnight i’m afraid. I’m not sure there is much that you can do

Yeah, its just a shame and its frustrating hearing it all the time. When your male counterparts are expected to do it all. (also feel for you guys too, just because you're a man doesn't mean you need to lift a truck and do all the heavy stuff) we all get tired, we're all different capabilities etc.
Reply 7
Yeah, its just a shame and its frustrating hearing it all the time. When your male counterparts are expected to do it all. (also feel for you guys too, just because you're a man doesn't mean you need to lift a truck and do all the heavy stuff) we all get tired, we're all different capabilities etc.

Yeah, lol. People just need to mind their own business and realise how pathetic they sound when saying things like that.
Original post by mazenod
Yeah, lol. People just need to mind their own business and realise how pathetic they sound when saying things like that.

Ikr, honestly should troll some people and say "I'm sorry... I didn't notice the "Not for women" sign on this cage my god" or "okay (leaves delivery, cage etc wherever and walk away).

I'm a very sarcasic person (in my head)
Sorry to hear that this happens to you, must be frustrating on a daily basis. You could call people out on it, politely, and say you are perfectly capable of doing your job and if you needed help you would ask for it, and stop with the sexist comments. Is it the same people doing it or different people all the time?
Ikr, honestly should troll some people and say "I'm sorry... I didn't notice the "Not for women" sign on this cage my god" or "okay (leaves delivery, cage etc wherever and walk away).

I'm a very sarcasic person (in my head)

I can relate. Sarcasm is a risky tool to use in such a situation. People insecure enough to be rude like that will likely take it the wrong way. To bring a new perspective into it, it’s often that sexist and rude comments come from people who are insecure, so perhaps you can feel better about yourself for helping people overcome their insecurities (even if that does mean taking the abuse). Unless of course you feel they don’t deserve that, in which case I can’t really help ya 😂
Original post by mazenod
I can relate. Sarcasm is a risky tool to use in such a situation. People insecure enough to be rude like that will likely take it the wrong way. To bring a new perspective into it, it’s often that sexist and rude comments come from people who are insecure, so perhaps you can feel better about yourself for helping people overcome their insecurities (even if that does mean taking the abuse). Unless of course you feel they don’t deserve that, in which case I can’t really help ya 😂

Lmao, nah I used to be a manager at a fast food place...I've had all sorts 😶 but a comment everyday just grinds at you. I'm aware of customers I'd never say those thing outloud. I've got a good filter, I just say it later to my co-workers. Wish there was a day where customer services could talk back at rude people.

Weirdest comment was an old lady asked me "you're very pale are you anemic?" in the middle of reciting her order...No sorry I'm just ginger I suppose... (ginger - used to be hair went dark over the years 😂)
Lmao, nah I used to be a manager at a fast food place...I've had all sorts 😶 but a comment everyday just grinds at you. I'm aware of customers I'd never say those thing outloud. I've got a good filter, I just say it later to my co-workers. Wish there was a day where customer services could talk back at rude people.

Weirdest comment was an old lady asked me "you're very pale are you anemic?" in the middle of reciting her order...No sorry I'm just ginger I suppose... (ginger - used to be hair went dark over the years 😂)

People just can’t help themselves can they... My closest relation to this whole situation is when I was about 12 people used to tell me all the time to wax/pluck my eyebrow (singular) and I felt it was a bit of a feminine thing to do at the time. The sarcastic responses always gave me a thrill. Of course I eventually took the advice and stopped looking like a caveman. Sorry this anecdote has no relevant information...
Original post by Issakatie
Sorry to hear that this happens to you, must be frustrating on a daily basis. You could call people out on it, politely, and say you are perfectly capable of doing your job and if you needed help you would ask for it, and stop with the sexist comments. Is it the same people doing it or different people all the time?

For some reason your post didn't show up (mobile). Its men, women (customers) and truck drivers etc. Sometimes new staff.
Original post by mazenod
People just can’t help themselves can they... My closest relation to this whole situation is when I was about 12 people used to tell me all the time to wax/pluck my eyebrow (singular) and I felt it was a bit of a feminine thing to do at the time. The sarcastic responses always gave me a thrill. Of course I eventually took the advice and stopped looking like a caveman. Sorry this anecdote has no relevant information...

Lol, tell that to my postman he cries in pain when I open my door (joking) but I do wear mismatched pjs, my glasses, hair a bush. 😂😅 I'm just lazy at home.

oh customers... us lot could write a book or 50.
Some are cool others need to walk away and get on with their lives.
Lol, tell that to my postman he cries in pain when I open my door (joking) but I do wear mismatched pjs, my glasses, hair a bush. 😂😅 I'm just lazy at home.

As with society as a whole. You’ll always get the odd ******* to deal with. I gave up believing otherwise a long time ago. Lower expectations for society -> less disappointment

And who isn’t lazy at home? XD
Original post by mazenod
As with society as a whole. You’ll always get the odd ******* to deal with. I gave up believing otherwise a long time ago. Lower expectations for society -> less disappointment

My expectations are sooo low sonetimes, if a customer actually says "thank you" I'm surprised

Odd encounters -

2 guys asking me the differences between hand cream and lip balm (for their hands).. Ones for your lips the other hands... "yeah but what is the difference" 🤦🏻

"do you sell bread? (serious question)" Yeah its in asile X we also have a bakery for fresh bread" (not old, just a little weird)

"Is the ketchup halal?" Uh. Uh. "I'll go look at the stock info" (no idea only answer I could think of at the time I did look and google to find the best answer for them. 😬)

And many more..
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 18
Give them a People's Elbow
My expectations are sooo low sonetimes, if a customer actually says "thank you" I'm surprised

Odd encounters -

2 guys asking me the differences between hand cream and lip balm (for their hands).. Ones for your lips the other hands... "yeah but what is the difference" 🤦🏻

"do you sell bread? (serious question)" Yeah its in asile X we also have a bakery for fresh bread" (not old, just a little weird)

"Is the ketchup halal?" Uh. Uh. "I'll go look at the stock info" (no idea only answer I could think of at the time I did look and google to find the best answer for them. 😬)

And many more..

Lol. It makes me laugh how dependent some people can be. Ketchup is vegetarian so it is automatically halal 🤣

Quick Reply

Latest