The Student Room Group

The UK is to offer full Citizenship to Hong Kong Residents. Thoughts?

Personally I'm all for it. The new Security law is a breach of everything the handover and the one country/two systems was meant to represent.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chocolate_fan
Personally I'm all for it. The new Security law is a breach of everything the handover and the one country/two systems was meant to represent.

esp with BJ, not holding my breath till we see it, think it was a path to citizenship, but a risky move due to China's huge and growing influence
Bad idea.
This was predictable when they handed HK back, it was always going to be taken back into mainstream China.
HK also has a population of 7.5 million.

There's a better idea out there than this, I just don't know what it is.
Original post by Sam.C.Mat
Bad idea.
This was predictable when they handed HK back, it was always going to be taken back into mainstream China.
HK also has a population of 7.5 million.

There's a better idea out there than this, I just don't know what it is.

Only 3 million will actually be eligible, and it's highly unlikely anywhere close to that number will move to to the UK.I'd be surprised if it was even a million.
Sadly with China's growing influence and power, I don't think there is any better way, short of all out war.
Original post by Heterosexual Guy
The UK is overrun with foreigners, so no surprise there.

And Hong Kong was British? What's your point?
Good idea although China will retaliate, so expect fewer Chinese students. Chinese people are amongst the most industrious, hard working groups that integrate well. I would be surprised if it was a million.
I'd be surprised if it was even a million.

The UK would be in big trouble if there was a sudden influx of 1million immigrants.
Reply 7
China won’t be thrilled that’s for sure :colonhash:
And Hong Kong was British? What's your point?

The British owned Hong Kong many, many years ago. My point is the UK is a soft touch and anyone can come and live here.
The British owned Hong Kong many, many years ago. My point is the UK is a soft touch and anyone can come and live here.

23 years ago. My that was many many years ago.
And no, Petyr from an isolated village in Siberia can just come and settle in the UK as he pleases. Most people need to get visas, live in the UK for several years, and then pass a pub quiz most British citizens can't. And it's going to get even harder. So no, it's tough to live in the UK

Yes when the agreement was made.
Not just anyone can come here.

Three million people are entitled to come and live here, that's scary. Obviously not all coming together but sporadically I think but still, 65 million population already.
I'm completely for it as well, it isn't full citizenship it's the ability to apply for it after 5 years of residence (well technically 6), so it's not an easy process therefore it's very unlikely all will want to go through with it, the scheme is simply a lifeline for freedom to those who used to have, and I am very much pro-freedom so I'm happy that the UK feel the same :h:

Yes it's a influx of population but I'm sure a lot of the Hongkongers will quite happily invest their money into the building of houses and infrastructure to create more chinese settlements, just ones in the free world not one of tyranny and oppression.
Original post by Max1989
I'm completely for it as well, it isn't full citizenship it's the ability to apply for it after 5 years of residence (well technically 6), so it's not an easy process therefore it's very unlikely all will want to go through with it, the scheme is simply a lifeline for freedom to those who used to have, and I am very much pro-freedom so I'm happy that the UK feel the same :h:

Yes it's a influx of population but I'm sure a lot of the Hongkongers will quite happily invest their money into the building of houses and infrastructure to create more chinese settlements, just ones in the free world not one of tyranny and oppression.

I wouldn't put much faith in China allowing HK residents to move their assets abroad easily.
I think a model where they arrive with similar resources to any other political refugee is more likely.
Reply 14
they are masking the problem, not solving it, there should be sanctions for the uyghur treatment and hong kong too, why do they only impose sanctions on Venzuela or Libya or North Korea
Wow, 3 million+ is a hell of a lot. There’s 55 million people in a small country like England alone, where are they going to get housed?
Reply 16
Original post by Hudds999
Wow, 3 million+ is a hell of a lot. There’s 55 million people in a small country like England alone, where are they going to get housed?

agree 100%, we already have a huge immigration problem. I though everyone voted for PM Boris Johnson did so because he is tough on immigration and Brexit. Hell, hes doing the opposite
Original post by anaa100
they are masking the problem, not solving it, there should be sanctions for the uyghur treatment and hong kong too, why do they only impose sanctions on Venzuela or Libya or North Korea

Because China is bigger, richer and more important than us.
Reply 18
Original post by Sam.C.Mat
Because China is bigger, richer and more important than us.

yea then let them deal with Hong Kong then, the British handed it over in the late 90s , why should the British Taxpayer be responsible for not only millions of current immigrants but millions of new ones. and we already have a pandemic / economic problems.
(edited 3 years ago)
Good I’m all for it!

The people from Hong Kong are very welcome to come.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending