The Student Room Group

Italy

Italy is my dream country to live and study in are there any universities that teach in english? if not is italian difficult to learn and do some universities provide a learning italin course? what are the living expenses like in Italy?
Original post by Lïsaf__
Italy is my dream country to live and study in are there any universities that teach in english? if not is italian difficult to learn and do some universities provide a learning italin course? what are the living expenses like in Italy?

Italy's a beautiful place to live. I'm Sicilian but my family live in Verona, I've been a few times it's absolutely amazing. I'm by birth an Italian citizen so Brexit doesn't affect me, hoping to move over sometime maybe :smile:
There should be some English courses over there, and if not some people will speak English. Italian's not too hard to learn, there are many cognates etc.
Buon fortuna!
Original post by Lïsaf__

Italy definitely has universities offering courses in English, I think its fairly common. I work with Italian researchers they always joke learning Italian is very easy, as (apparently) lots of the the language is the same but with more flare.
Reply 3
What is the tuition fee like in Italy? Do you know of any medical schools that teach in english? I love Italy so much I can't wait to study there!!
Original post by Lïsaf__
What is the tuition fee like in Italy? Do you know of any medical schools that teach in english? I love Italy so much I can't wait to study there!!

You might have to go on google for that one.
Reply 5
Okay thank you so much for your response I really appreciate it!!
Might be easier to go to university in England and take a year abroad and study your masters in Italy. Italian universities are not very highly regarded and the private universities are expensive, so you have a higher chance of getting a good job in Italy if you have an English degree.
I know many (rich) Italians from Rome and Milan and every single one of them went to study in England rather than Italy. They were clever too and yet they traded Italian unis for average English unis like QMUL.
Reply 7
Original post by chloenix
Might be easier to go to university in England and take a year abroad and study your masters in Italy. Italian universities are not very highly regarded and the private universities are expensive, so you have a higher chance of getting a good job in Italy if you have an English degree.
I know many (rich) Italians from Rome and Milan and every single one of them went to study in England rather than Italy. They were clever too and yet they traded Italian unis for average English unis like QMUL.

Okay wow thank you, I didn't think of it that way. I always wanted to study at Oxford and then move to Italy maybe that will be possible!
Original post by Lïsaf__
Okay wow thank you, I didn't think of it that way. I always wanted to study at Oxford and then move to Italy maybe that will be possible!

No problem. I don't want to discourage you, just wanted to give you some advice! For example I just checked world uni rankings and I had to scroll to the 143rd rank before finding an Italian university! (It was Pisa).
If you can get into Oxford that would be incredible and I think you would find a job very easily in Italy (learn to speak Italian obviously because that would be needed). Even if you don't get into Oxford many other universities are still impressive. Most Italians I know went to LSE, UCL or Exeter!
Reply 9
No problem. I don't want to discourage you, just wanted to give you some advice! For example I just checked world uni rankings and I had to scroll to the 143rd rank before finding an Italian university! (It was Pisa).
If you can get into Oxford that would be incredible and I think you would find a job very easily in Italy (learn to speak Italian obviously because that would be needed). Even if you don't get into Oxford many other universities are still impressive. Most Italians I know went to LSE, UCL or Exeter!

Thank you so much!!
I've never been to Italy and I would never want to live there, but I am sure there are some English speaking universities and in this century, you can learn pretty much anything.
1523449083_shutterstock_363437531.jpg

I think it would pretty naive to judge Italian universities quality based of QS or THE times global rankings.

My impression is universities in Itlay are much more level nationally (compared to the UK) so almost all of them are at a very good standard but dont rank as highly by the QS & Times Higher Education methodology.

But generally speaking some of their universities are world class: especially: Bologna, Bocconi, the ones in Pisa & Milan.

I work in a UK research group where we have graduate researchers from top UK & Ivy league unis and we have multiple Italian graduates, so it doesn't hold them back in my experience.
Original post by mnot
I think it would pretty naive to judge Italian universities quality based of QS or THE times global rankings.

My impression is universities in Itlay are much more level nationally (compared to the UK) so almost all of them are at a very good standard but dont rank as highly by the QS & Times Higher Education methodology.

But generally speaking some of their universities are world class: especially: Bologna, Bocconi, the ones in Pisa & Milan.

I work in a UK research group where we have graduate researchers from top UK & Ivy league unis and we have multiple Italian graduates, so it doesn't hold them back in my experience.

I'm not saying that Italian universities are bad by any means. But if we compare them to British universities, they are less well regarded in general. Also I'm not basing my impression off rankings but what my Italian acquaintances have told me. They gave up places at Sapienza to go to less known UK universities, so clearly that means something.
Also OP wants to go to Oxford. It would be absurd to give this opportunity up to go to a less known Italian uni.
I'm not saying that Italian universities are bad by any means. But if we compare them to British universities, they are less well regarded in general. Also I'm not basing my impression off rankings but what my Italian acquaintances have told me. They gave up places at Sapienza to go to less known UK universities, so clearly that means something.
Also OP wants to go to Oxford. It would be absurd to give this opportunity up to go to a less known Italian uni.

Fair enough,
IF OP gets an Oxford offer. id still say Bocconi & Bologna can compete with any UK Uni reputation wise.

Especially Bologna’s history...
Original post by mnot
Fair enough,
IF OP gets an Oxford offer. id still say Bocconi & Bologna can compete with any UK Uni reputation wise.

Especially Bologna’s history...

The standard of teaching at Bocconi has dropped in recent years judging from the experience of those I know from Italy. Bologna is prestigious but I imagine that it will be hard to get in.
The standard of teaching at Bocconi has dropped in recent years judging from the experience of those I know from Italy. Bologna is prestigious but I imagine that it will be hard to get in.

Getting into Oxford is no walk in the park...
Either way I’ll leave it up to OP to make their own mind up.
Original post by mnot
Getting into Oxford is no walk in the park...
Either way I’ll leave it up to OP to make their own mind up.

No doubt about that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending