The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial

Hello all, I've recently got submission into Imperial. I'm just wondering, how is the social life in general there? And is it as competitive as they say? Please any help about this would be useful.
Original post by GreatMaster911
Hello all, I've recently got submission into Imperial. I'm just wondering, how is the social life in general there? And is it as competitive as they say? Please any help about this would be useful.

I guess you mean admission and not submission? Imperial is a top university and all students will be at the top of their game so yes it will be competitive. I guess you know that if you have been to the open day or read up about your subject and life in Imperial.

Being a uni based in London the social life is really good. London is a great city anyway and with so many unis there it's impossible not to find a student group you can get on with. So if your hobby is Lacross or Mahjong you will find a club.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by mike23mike
I guess you mean admission and not submission? Imperial is a top university and all students will be at the top of their game so yes it will be competitive. I guess you know that if you have been to the open day or read up about your subject and life in Imperial.

Being a uni based in London the social life is really good. London is a great city anyway and with so many unis there it's impossible not to find a student group you can get on with. So if your hobby is Lacross or Mahjong you will find a club.

Hi yes, I understand it will be competitive. My only worry is the that the workload will be too much compared to UCL. And as I am quite a 'free-spirited' person, I'm not really sure that will be for me as I won't have enough time to do other things that I like. However, I've been told the course is more fun than it UCL. An because of the intense workload, you do learn a lot of cool things which is better than UCL. What would be your take on this?
Reply 3
Workload depends a lot on the course. If you are good at time management you will have a good time

Hey! I'm an Imperial undergrad :smile: if you don't mind answering, what course are you on? It might make a difference. The social life at Imperial is not as good as other unis, in terms of clubbing and going out, etc. I am someone who needs a good social life and so it wasn't the traditional uni experience for me, however, I lived in halls in first year and was friends with literally everyone on my corridor, so we made our own fun. If you find your people, you can go out and do your own thing and generate your own social life, even if the uni generally isn't as sociable. Whatever course, the degree is gonna be tough with a high workload but the degree you get is worth it, I'd say, and also, JOIN SOCIETIES. Ive been an active member of 3 over my time at imperial and have toured all over the country and even to Ibiza on society tours, where the social life is DEFINITELY more lively. It's competitive, but there are always people who will help you out. (Students, the staff probably won't help you much save for a select few) and older students will help as well, they're a great resource.
TLDR: The uni isn't that sociable, but once you find your people you can make your own social life for yourself: there's no shortage of stuff to do in London. The course is competitive but not unbearably so. Again, find course friends and figure it out together.
Original post by studentgal123
Hey! I'm an Imperial undergrad :smile: if you don't mind answering, what course are you on? It might make a difference. The social life at Imperial is not as good as other unis, in terms of clubbing and going out, etc. I am someone who needs a good social life and so it wasn't the traditional uni experience for me, however, I lived in halls in first year and was friends with literally everyone on my corridor, so we made our own fun. If you find your people, you can go out and do your own thing and generate your own social life, even if the uni generally isn't as sociable. Whatever course, the degree is gonna be tough with a high workload but the degree you get is worth it, I'd say, and also, JOIN SOCIETIES. Ive been an active member of 3 over my time at imperial and have toured all over the country and even to Ibiza on society tours, where the social life is DEFINITELY more lively. It's competitive, but there are always people who will help you out. (Students, the staff probably won't help you much save for a select few) and older students will help as well, they're a great resource.
TLDR: The uni isn't that sociable, but once you find your people you can make your own social life for yourself: there's no shortage of stuff to do in London. The course is competitive but not unbearably so. Again, find course friends and figure it out together.

Hi yeah, I'm doing mechanical engineering master integrated program. My only worry is, I might end up hating engineering because of how much work I'm being given. Like I can always do more work in UCL for engineering but I feel like I can't do that at Imperial. Is this true? What would you say that your experience for the workload was? Like we're we' getting very little free time each day?
Hi yeah, I'm doing mechanical engineering master integrated program. My only worry is, I might end up hating engineering because of how much work I'm being given. Like I can always do more work in UCL for engineering but I feel like I can't do that at Imperial. Is this true? What would you say that your experience for the workload was? Like we're we' getting very little free time each day?

Mech eng is actually a pretty sociable course, in my year especially. Many of the people I knew who had good social lives were all friends from mecheng. The work load will be intense, that is true of any Imperial degree, but you gotta learn to manage it and fit the social times around it. You do adapt to Imperial pretty fast, in my experience. All of the mecheng guys I know (not an extensive list by any stretch but I knew a fair few) I either knew by societies or nights out, so they definitely had time to enjoy their uni times. They were all often parts of bigger friend groups within mech eng and they used to work together and help each other out, which was pretty good. It's also a great degree. Imperial mech eng with masters? You'll be pretty much set for life if you wanna be. I'm not personally part of the engineering faculty, but I have many friends who are. Like I say, work load will be intense but honestly you adapt and get **** done pretty quick. It won't be so huge that you don't have time for a life outside work, honestly. Sure, around exam times or high deadline times, maybe, but work hard, play hard, it's all good.
Original post by studentgal123
Mech eng is actually a pretty sociable course, in my year especially. Many of the people I knew who had good social lives were all friends from mecheng. The work load will be intense, that is true of any Imperial degree, but you gotta learn to manage it and fit the social times around it. You do adapt to Imperial pretty fast, in my experience. All of the mecheng guys I know (not an extensive list by any stretch but I knew a fair few) I either knew by societies or nights out, so they definitely had time to enjoy their uni times. They were all often parts of bigger friend groups within mech eng and they used to work together and help each other out, which was pretty good. It's also a great degree. Imperial mech eng with masters? You'll be pretty much set for life if you wanna be. I'm not personally part of the engineering faculty, but I have many friends who are. Like I say, work load will be intense but honestly you adapt and get **** done pretty quick. It won't be so huge that you don't have time for a life outside work, honestly. Sure, around exam times or high deadline times, maybe, but work hard, play hard, it's all good.

Ok yeah, thank you for all this. But only problem is, I've got lots of hobbies I like to do in my spare time. Will I be able to fit those in? And what's the timetable like for a typical first year mech engineering student? Could you attach a timetable of one of your friends? Or even your own typical timetable (it may not be for the right subject but will still give me a good idea). Because I've heard they have a lot of contact hours and most imperial students don't do anything on a weekday apart from study and then sleep. Is this true?
Hi yes, I understand it will be competitive. My only worry is the that the workload will be too much compared to UCL. And as I am quite a 'free-spirited' person, I'm not really sure that will be for me as I won't have enough time to do other things that I like. However, I've been told the course is more fun than it UCL. An because of the intense workload, you do learn a lot of cool things which is better than UCL. What would be your take on this?

Both UCL and Imperial are top universities so you will not do your CV any harm in saying you studied at either institute. You will have to look more closely at the course content to see which one interests you more.

A friend of mine went to Nottingham to study physics but had not really looked at the course content. He really hated it because it was too maths based. In his view if he had wanted to study maths at uni he would have picked maths. He ended up getting a 2.2 and having a horrid time at Uni.
@Sinnoh is a student at Imperial and might be able to advise on social life etc :smile:
Reply 10
Because I've heard they have a lot of contact hours and most imperial students don't do anything on a weekday apart from study and then sleep. Is this true?

Physics here but definitely not true for me so far.
The general gist is that yes you can fit in your hobbies, just takes a bit of effort.
Reply 11

what course are you doing? Contact hours can be long but once youve learned the content it will be fine - course works a little long for me (chemical engineering) but its fine most of it you can do collaboratively - I didn't go to most lectures and just learned from notes/powerpoints and I was fine (hopefully)
Original post by igof1
what course are you doing? Contact hours can be long but once youve learned the content it will be fine - course works a little long for me (chemical engineering) but its fine most of it you can do collaboratively - I didn't go to most lectures and just learned from notes/powerpoints and I was fine (hopefully)

Are the lecture notes normally quite good and comprehensive ?
Original post by Sinnoh
Physics here but definitely not true for me so far.
The general gist is that yes you can fit in your hobbies, just takes a bit of effort.

Physics tend to have lighter workload than engineering courses.
Reply 14
Original post by Anonymous
Are the lecture notes normally quite good and comprehensive ?

yeahh we got given these set of notes some second year made and they were really good but Im thinking (for first year anyway) the lecture notes were enough but see how you might struggle with harder concepts but all the lectures are recorded and its pretty easy to find supportive stuff online

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending