The Student Room Group

Tory supporters

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I'm not a Tory supporter but it's quite telling that most Tories think BoJo is a clown.

Can't say I know any Tories who actually like him.
With Keir Starmer, Labour are moving slowly towards being electable again. However, they are also pressing the self-destruct button with identity politics. Ultimately, they have too many low-calibre individuals in their party who should be nowhere near politics.
Original post by ChrisW99
With Keir Starmer, Labour are moving slowly towards being electable again. However, they are also pressing the self-destruct button with identity politics. Ultimately, they have too many low-calibre individuals in their party who should be nowhere near politics.

Centrists love identity politics. You can’t separate the two. Those who wanted Starmer obviously didn’t look closely at what they’re getting.
Original post by TheStarboy
Centrists love identity politics. You can’t separate the two. Those who wanted Starmer obviously didn’t look closely at what they’re getting.

Is Starmer more pro identity politics than Corbyn? I may be wrong but I would imagine it isn't of great importance to either but they are under a lot of pressure from the party.
Original post by ChrisW99
Is Starmer more pro identity politics than Corbyn? I may be wrong but I would imagine it isn't of great importance to either but they are under a lot of pressure from the party.

Starmer spent the whole leadership contest, pandering to all sides. Refused to criticise Corbyn until after he won. He’s definitely more Pro identity politics. Also, the people who supported in the party have been known to be racist who abused, bullied and harassed Corbyn supporters within the party.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by FRS500
I'm not a Tory supporter but it's quite telling that most Tories think BoJo is a clown.

I know and have met many people who have voted Tory, but none who now like Mr Johnson. Most I met when the Tories were choosing a leader wanted Rory Stewart. Though there are several who like Mr Johnson on this forum.
Reply 46
Original post by barnetlad
I know and have met many people who have voted Tory, but none who now like Mr Johnson. Most I met when the Tories were choosing a leader wanted Rory Stewart. Though there are several who like Mr Johnson on this forum.

I feel people liked him when he was running/ well before because... well "it's Boris!" but seeing what he's actually like as PM is another kettle of fish. :biggrin:

As for Rory Stewart... don't get me started on him!
Original post by FRS500

I would rather have had Raab as PM but unfortunately he dropped out in the third round. At the moment my ideal choice would either be him or Patel.
I don’t know yet, far too early in precedings.
Reply 49
Original post by LiberOfLondon
I would rather have had Raab as PM but unfortunately he dropped out in the third round. At the moment my ideal choice would either be him or Patel.

Hypothetically speaking (and this is a biiiiiiig hypo) ... I'd rather Rabb to those two any day.

I just don't see it when it comes to Priti Patel
Original post by FRS500
Hypothetically speaking (and this is a biiiiiiig hypo) ... I'd rather Rabb to those two any day.

I just don't see it when it comes to Priti Patel

If she cracks down on illegal immigration she will win a lot of votes.
Dominic Raab? Seemed out of his depth when he stepped in as temporary prime minister, all over the place at pmqs. However, he didn’t have time to prove much, so I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt for that.
Reply 52
If she cracks down on illegal immigration she will win a lot of votes.

Very true point!
Original post by Hudds999
Dominic Raab? Seemed out of his depth when he stepped in as temporary prime minister, all over the place at pmqs. However, he didn’t have time to prove much, so I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt for that.

At the time his boss was very ill so bear that in mind.
Original post by FRS500
Very true point!

The question is if the Civil Service will play ball. Patel's already had to sack one of her civil servants and he's now suing her for constructive dismissal so it looks like a rocky road for her.
Reply 54

The question is if the Civil Service will play ball. Patel's already had to sack one of her civil servants and he's now suing her for constructive dismissal so it looks like a rocky road for her.

Personally I don't think Rutnam did anything wrong but she has a long way to go to command the respect or even the confidence of the CS.

Do other Tory MPs even like her?
Original post by EmergencyAccount
Because Labour is anti-India, whilst the Tories have the great Rishi Sunak.

He's popular when he's giving out money ... wonder if he'll be as well received when he's trying to claw it back?
Surely, by definition, a Tory supporter would be voting Tory at the election - otherwise they wouldn't be a Tory?

I can't ever see myself voting for the Conservative party. I'm Labour through and through, owing to my (frankly) deprived upbringing. I'm so detached from privilege that I've experienced poverty and the influence of class, which has ultimately shaped my political views and progressive outlook.

It'd take a serious shifting of the political forces for me to vote for the nasty party!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 57
Depends if i've forgiven them for brexit yet, chances arent looking too good though. I'm still hoping for a nice candidate like Farron to re-appear though :biggrin:
Original post by FRS500
Do other Tory MPs even like her?

Don't know, but she usually does well in ConHome rankings of MP's.
Original post by Napp
I'm still hoping for a nice candidate like Farron to re-appear though :biggrin:

Ah, Mr Weed and Not Giving a Straight Answer on Homosexuality.

Dominic Raab is hopelessly out of his depth, as I believe to some extent is Priti Patel. Only three members of the cabinet have a clue- Rishi Sunak, Grant Shapps and the rudest man in politics, Michael Gove.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending