The Student Room Group

D1 scholarship from England

I'm at sixth form in the UK at the moment, is there any way to get a scholarship to play college (American) football in America when I'm finished?
Reply 1
I'm going to be brutally honest,

No, there isn't.
Reply 2
Original post by Xarao
I'm going to be brutally honest,

No, there isn't.

I thought that would be the case; a friend of mine did it for basketball and I was curious. Thanks anyway.
what are you doing now?
Reply 4
Original post by jayolo_11
what are you doing now?

Nothing right now due to coronavirus. However, after all of this, I'm taking a gap year (which is permitted by D1 schools) and in that time I'm going to work on my football technique. I'm currently trying to get in touch with a man called Brandon Collier who helps European athletes get D1 offers. Look up PPI recruits dream chasers tour on youtube to see what I mean.
Nice bro. Im going to sixth form in september and I also want to try and get a D1 offer by the end of it. I'll look that up on youtube, thanks. I hope your next move works out.
Btw I looked it up. Is American football the only sport they do? Because Im trying to get a D1 offer for basketball so do you know of anyone who could help me? Its fine if you dont.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by jayolo_11
Nice bro. Im going to sixth form in september and I also want to try and get a D1 offer by the end of it. I'll look that up on youtube, thanks. I hope your next move works out.
Btw I looked it up. Is American football the only sport they do? Because Im trying to get a D1 offer for basketball so do you know of anyone who could help me? Its fine if you dont.

1) I've noticed that getting into the NBA from Europe a whole lot more common than getting into the NFL. Europeans get into the NBA quite frequently but, no one has ever been drafted internationally into the NFL. The reason I mention this is because, if your end goal is the NBA then don't worry if you don't go D1. You can still get NBA coaches attention by playing well in a European league. Also, as strange as this may sound; it is harder to get a D1 coach to take a chance on an international player than it is to get a professional coach to (at least that's the case for football).

2) Basketball D1 recruiting isn't an area I know too much about but from what I've learned about football recruiting I'd recommend you try the following: Start playing for a team in some kind of league that has good competition so that coaches can see you performing at a high level. Also, get someone to film you playing in games and create a highlight tape. Then send that the every and I mean EVERY D1 programme that you can think of. Doing this will mean that you get coaches to notice you and hopefully they begin to interact with you and recruit you (there are guides on this on youtube). Remember that you are competing (right now) with the top players in high school for those D1 spots and coaches are going to be naturally reluctant to recruit you so the odds are not in your favour. I know that there are basketball recruiting agencies (like PPI but for basketball) out there but I don't know their names. You should be able to find an agency but if you don't the highlight tape method is a solid option.

3) If you have the talent and the work ethic you will get a D1 offer regardless of if you have help or not.
Original post by Anonymous
Nothing right now due to coronavirus. However, after all of this, I'm taking a gap year (which is permitted by D1 schools) and in that time I'm going to work on my football technique. I'm currently trying to get in touch with a man called Brandon Collier who helps European athletes get D1 offers. Look up PPI recruits dream chasers tour on youtube to see what I mean.

Ive seen that dream chasers tour vids on youtube, they are really interesting.
I think getting a d1 offer from the UK is going to be hard, as getting your name out their I can imagine being an uphill battle.

Best of luck, if you do get one please update.
Do you have a hudl video or a public recruiting tape you can share with us? (just curious).
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by mnot
Ive seen that dream chasers tour vids on youtube, they are really interesting.
I think getting a d1 offer from the UK is going to be hard, as getting your name out their I can imagine being an uphill battle.

Best of luck, if you do get one please update.
Do you have a hudl video or a public recruiting tape you can share with us? (just curious).

I'm going to a PPI recruiting showcase in London on the 22nd of Augusts and if I standout I get a spot on the tour. I'll keep you updated.
Original post by Xiphos
I'm going to a PPI recruiting showcase in London on the 22nd of Augusts and if I standout I get a spot on the tour. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks good luck!
Original post by mnot
Thanks good luck!

I got injured and couldn't attend but, I will try and go to a camp in Europe when I'm ready.
I got injured and couldn't attend but, I will try and go to a camp in Europe when I'm ready.

Ahh, I know what a bad injury is like.

Peak, as last time I hope it works out for you, good luck. College football is in a very weird spot right now.
I thought that would be the case; a friend of mine did it for basketball and I was curious. Thanks anyway.

hey man, I am second year loughbrough student and was trying to get d1 offers for basketball so I can play in year 3 and year 4. I am just asking how did your friend get offers for basketball. I really want to play basketball professionally but I am trying to get into d1 colleges. can you help me out bro?

also how did it go for you with your d1 american football offers?
I had one for track and field which I have just left. It really isn't all that they play it up to be. I haven't enjoyed the sports side but I have made some friends for life
Original post by BigJonno
hey man, I am second year loughbrough student and was trying to get d1 offers for basketball so I can play in year 3 and year 4. I am just asking how did your friend get offers for basketball. I really want to play basketball professionally but I am trying to get into d1 colleges. can you help me out bro?

also how did it go for you with your d1 american football offers?

NCAA has a rule that states that your D1 eligibility is removed if you are enrolled as a student at any university where you are just a student and not a scholarship athlete. These rules change quite a lot and there may be exceptions for international athletes, I suggest you contact the NCAA and see if you are D1 eligible. Also, your age may be an issue (above 19/20 means you won't get picked up at least for football as most guys declare for the draft at 22 or 23 but basketball may be different). You may also get redshirted which is when the NCAA requires you to sit your first year out whilst they process you or if your coaches feel you aren't ready, this happens more frequently in football. As for my friend's recruiting process, I believe that he got in contact with a recruiting agency that operates in Europe and the US, and I'm assuming the connections that the agency had are what got him the offer. Recruiting is all about how connected to coaches and schools you or the agency you're using is. Take what I say with a grain of salt because, I know very little about basketball recruiting and more about football but, from what I've seen not securing a D1 offer is no obstacle to the NBA if you want it bad enough. Giannis, Luka, etc had no D1 offers, NBA scouts look overseas far more in basketball than in other American sports. If I were you I'd try to contact an agency and if that doesn't work out then I'd join a European league because NBA scouts have their eyes out there. As for me, the London showcase was my first and last chance to get recruited as I turn 19 this month and don't have a single season under my belt because of covid restrictions in the UK. Good luck.
Original post by molangel
I had one for track and field which I have just left. It really isn't all that they play it up to be. I haven't enjoyed the sports side but I have made some friends for life

Do you mind telling me some more about that? Were you an international athlete? What college did you end up at?
Yo how did he do that please send me his socials so that i can talk to him about it because i want to follow that path thank you
Original post by ahmed.mahamud
Yo how did he do that please send me his socials so that i can talk to him about it because i want to follow that path thank you

I don't have social media so I can't help you there I'm afraid.
NCAA has a rule that states that your D1 eligibility is removed if you are enrolled as a student at any university where you are just a student and not a scholarship athlete. These rules change quite a lot and there may be exceptions for international athletes, I suggest you contact the NCAA and see if you are D1 eligible. Also, your age may be an issue (above 19/20 means you won't get picked up at least for football as most guys declare for the draft at 22 or 23 but basketball may be different). You may also get redshirted which is when the NCAA requires you to sit your first year out whilst they process you or if your coaches feel you aren't ready, this happens more frequently in football. As for my friend's recruiting process, I believe that he got in contact with a recruiting agency that operates in Europe and the US, and I'm assuming the connections that the agency had are what got him the offer. Recruiting is all about how connected to coaches and schools you or the agency you're using is. Take what I say with a grain of salt because, I know very little about basketball recruiting and more about football but, from what I've seen not securing a D1 offer is no obstacle to the NBA if you want it bad enough. Giannis, Luka, etc had no D1 offers, NBA scouts look overseas far more in basketball than in other American sports. If I were you I'd try to contact an agency and if that doesn't work out then I'd join a European league because NBA scouts have their eyes out there. As for me, the London showcase was my first and last chance to get recruited as I turn 19 this month and don't have a single season under my belt because of covid restrictions in the UK. Good luck.

if youre still on track with trying to get a d1 offer for football then juco might be a good option. you could go on a scholarship offer for 1 year or 2 than transfer to a d1 college when ur ready
I’m 14, and I am looking up this stuff now so when I do get to college I can know how to. I want to swim though and I’m not sure that many places do that? Please help thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending