The Student Room Group

Does anyone remember Concorde?

My favourite aircraft, but unfortunately too young to have very vivid memories of it flying..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Who's Concorde?
My earliest memories are of Concorde flying over my old house in London
I remember seeing it fly once and I was obsessed with it as a child. I even have massive hand drawn picture of it that recently came out of storage.

Spoiler

It isn't my favourite plane though, that is taken by the Avro Vulcan.
Reply 4
My mum won tickets to NYC on one. Couldn’t go in the end as she had my sister then they obviously stopped flying
concstamp.png
Original post by TJ1997
My favourite aircraft, but unfortunately too young to have very vivid memories of it flying..

Yes an amazing aircraft.

The realities of operating costs just don’t make commercial turbo-jet aircraft viable. Let alone environmental factors would ground any business trying to make a serious commercial case for them.

I think some companies are looking at bringing super-sonic travel back to smaller aircraft for one off private business hire, but I don’t think thats as inspiring as a ‘Public’ route.

An engineering marvel but just not viable.
Reply 7
Original post by DiddyDec
I remember seeing it fly once and I was obsessed with it as a child. I even have massive hand drawn picture of it that recently came out of storage.

Spoiler

It isn't my favourite plane though, that is taken by the Avro Vulcan.

I absolutely love that! Remember building a Concorde model out of lego and becoming obsessed to the point where I had all the documentaries, books, etc ahaha

As for the Vulcan, it's a stunning machine. Seen it fly twice at Farnborough and it didn't disappoint!
Reply 8
Original post by Pugglet
My mum won tickets to NYC on one. Couldn’t go in the end as she had my sister then they obviously stopped flying

Oh wow, bet she must've been gutted.

My dad used to work for BA but for some reason never got round to flying on it; he still tells some amazing stories of the time though!
Reply 9
Original post by 73iso
Who's Concorde?

It's a plane
Reply 10
Original post by SpitfireAce
My earliest memories are of Concorde flying over my old house in London

Yeah it used to fly over mine; think the windows used to rattle!
Original post by TJ1997
I absolutely love that! Remember building a Concorde model out of lego and becoming obsessed to the point where I had all the documentaries, books, etc ahaha

As for the Vulcan, it's a stunning machine. Seen it fly twice at Farnborough and it didn't disappoint!

I think the first time I saw it up close was at Duxford, they have one of the pre-production models. That is when I became obsessed.

The Vulcan was a later love when I was rudely awoken in my university halls by one flying over head from Cosford. The sound puts the fear of god into you.
Reply 12
Original post by DiddyDec
I think the first time I saw it up close was at Duxford, they have one of the pre-production models. That is when I became obsessed.

The Vulcan was a later love when I was rudely awoken in my university halls by one flying over head from Cosford. The sound puts the fear of god into you.

Ah yeah I've been to Duxford and seen that one; was interesting comparing that to the commercial ones (have also been in the one at Brooklands in Surrey).

Absolutely; the thunderous roar certainly gets the hairs on the back of your neck straight up!
Reply 13
Saw it fly only once.
Yes l do l called it the iron bird it was an amazing plane
Reply 15
Original post by gjd800
Saw it fly only once.

Whereabouts
Reply 16
Original post by TJ1997
Whereabouts

Manchester at some point in the 90s
Reply 17
Original post by mnot
Yes an amazing aircraft.

The realities of operating costs just don’t make commercial turbo-jet aircraft viable. Let alone environmental factors would ground any business trying to make a serious commercial case for them.

I think some companies are looking at bringing super-sonic travel back to smaller aircraft for one off private business hire, but I don’t think thats as inspiring as a ‘Public’ route.

An engineering marvel but just not viable.

Agreed, the climate now just doesn't accommodate supersonic aircraft (especially supersonic airliners that could be potentially pitched to airlines). I also feel that Concorde was made at a time where man-made endeavour was at it's highest such as seeing the likes of man reaching the moon, etc which we just don't seem to have in today's world.

Although the costs escalated, I'm pretty sure that a big reason for withdrawing it was due to the fact Airbus (who took over Aerospatiale, the French company which produced Concorde) were unwilling to fund and support maintenance costs. Air France weren't making profits on Concorde after the crash so apparently co-conspired to end commercial service; British Airways couldn't go it alone and in a post 9/11 world weren't able to afford the necessary costs to keep it running.

Yes supersonic travel for business use remains a floating idea and it could happen in the next 10 or so years if a viable project gets green lit.
Reply 18
Original post by gjd800
Manchester at some point in the 90s

Ah interesting. There's one still there which might be worth checking out at some point :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by TJ1997
Ah interesting. There's one still there which might be worth checking out at some point :smile:

yeah, i've never got around to it

I generally try to avoid manchester :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest