The Student Room Group

Doing the covid test to go visit grandma

Does the covid testing hurt? I m frightened just by knowing they ll put hardcore tubes through the nose, I have a very sensitive nose I d probably bleed. But at the same time, I d knew if I had it or if I was an asymptomatic case and thus know if I could go visit my grandma 100% sure. Is it worth doing the test?
Original post by Eccentric Goatie
Does the covid testing hurt? I m frightened just by knowing they ll put hardcore tubes through the nose, I have a very sensitive nose I d probably bleed. But at the same time, I d knew if I had it or if I was an asymptomatic case and thus know if I could go visit my grandma 100% sure. Is it worth doing the test?

The test isn’t painful. It’s a cotton stick they put up your nose and another stick for the throat. It’ll be over in a matter of seconds. I was asymptotic case too. But I did the blood test to determine my results. It’s worth it if you want to protect your family.
Original post by Thecrazydoughnut
The test isn’t painful. It’s a cotton stick they put up your nose and another stick for the throat. It’ll be over in a matter of seconds. I was asymptotic case too. But I did the blood test to determine my results. It’s worth it if you want to protect your family.

What’s the blood test?
What’s the blood test?

It’s where they put a needle in your arm and get blood from you.
Original post by Thecrazydoughnut
It’s where they put a needle in your arm and get blood from you.

Yeah I got that part, just don’t know thepurpose... if you re already doing the nose insertion test

I have had the test and it doesn’t hurt but the nose makes you sneeze and the throat makes you seriously gag it’s really far back they want the swab sample done.
What’s the blood test?

The blood sample is for the anti body test not a test to see if you have Covid but if you have HAD Covid.
Original post by paul514
The blood sample is for the anti body test not a test to see if you have Covid but if you have HAD Covid.

Ohh... so do you think it’s worth doing both or for my purposes it s a bit irrelevant knowing if I ve had?
Ohh... so do you think it’s worth doing both or for my purposes it s a bit irrelevant knowing if I ve had?

I’d just go for the normal covid test. There’s no use in knowing if you’ve had it in the past.
Reply 9

You aren't eligible for a test just to see if you are safe to visit someone!
Original post by Surnia
You aren't eligible for a test just to see if you are safe to visit someone!

What are the requirements then?
I've been to visit my grandma and I haven't been tested. I haven't had it (as far as I'm aware) and nor has my grandma. We maintained the required social distance between us and it was fine.
Reply 12

You can visit and social distance, same as thousands of other people have done that haven't been tested.

I'm not putting info on this forum that could be abused. If you required a test, you'd know.
Reply 13
Standard COVID test is shoving a stick in your nose tbh. Doesn't hurt but yeah it can get a bit uncomfortable

Nothing to sweat really.

You are fine to request a test online. There isn’t a shortage of them anymore if you want one.
Tests cost £100-200. Do you meet the criteria? Or were you going to pay yourself?
How were you planning on getting tested, just out of interest?
How was it?

Quick Reply

Latest