The Student Room Group

Any Year 10's need help?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mayataylor
Hi everyone. I’m a year 11 expecting 9s in English lit and Lang, Biology, history, Latin, drama, Chem and French and 8s I’m maths and physics. PM me and I can help you with concepts you don’t get, advice, resources, etc.

hiya, i private messaged because literally all the subjects u do i need help with so message me back please
Original post by gscewhizz
hi, i am ever so needing help for geography and spanish, particularly spanish. I always get nervous when it comes to speakings and struggle with the listenings

Hiya, I've posted some help for Spanish above on the previous page of this post so have a look for it but here are some extra:

Honestly, I struggled so much with listening and it really seemed to be a hit or miss whether I'd do well in it (when I say I was doing bad in it I mean it, I literally got a 3 in my year 10 listening mock which went up to a 6 in my November mocks and then kept improving). I began to reason with myself that if I did really well in the other sections then my grade would be boosted so I didn't need to worry about listening as much as I was, I just needed the marks. (Because there's usually like only 2 marks between grades it's insane!) Here's how I improved (ontop of the other tips) practise papers. That's the key as you need to get used to listening out for keywords/ phrases used. For example, in the section where you have to state whether opinions are positive, negative or both there are some tricks you can use. The first trick is to memorise some comparison, opinion phrases or connectives to know: for example, if they say odio ........ then we know it's negative but later on they may say something like sin embargo so we know it's now positive and negative. Another two they like to use are pero (but) or por un lado...por otro lado (on one hand.... on the other hand) to show an opinion that is both positive and negative. Another tip (more of a hack but oh well) is to know that you usually get four questions on this so you usually have one positive, one negative, one positive and negative and then the other answer that could be either of the three.

Geography: (I posted this on a GCSE help post a while ago but here it is {added a little to it as well}

For this I just made big flashcards for each of the case studies as well as smaller ones with questions regarding the case study: e.g. state 2 economic challenges faced in the favelas in Rio etc.. I also made large mindmaps for each topic on A3 sheets of paper and stuck them on the walls in my room and above my desk (I did this with most of my mindmaps). I also mad Q&A flashcards for the separate topics and watched primrosekitten's walkthrough of the papers on youtube(I did this for science also) to see how they're meant to be approached. PAST PAPERS - these are honestly going to be your best chance at getting "good" grades as it teaches you what the examiners want to see and also in which sections you should apply which case studies, you could even make flashcards about the topics you got wrong so you know what you need to learn so you can't get caught out again. LINK YOUR REASONS/EFFECTS you need to be able to explain the short and long-term effects of things cleary. (For example large earthquake---> houses destroyed, people killed, flooding------> homelessness/unemployment & diseased water----> contaminated water = illness spreads---->more money has to be spent on healthcare/clean water supplies------>take longer for houses to be repaired------->buisness closed + illness =houses needing to be rebuilt = economy of the country falls)

If you need anything more specific {topics etc...} let me know.
Hope this helped! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by carxlinefxrbes_
Hiya, I'm a year 11 student who has some free time on their hands so was wondering if any year 10 students have any questions they want to ask me about subjects they're studying, revision tips, online resources or year 11 in general.

Subjects studied: Eng Lang (AQA), Eng Lit (AQA), Maths (OCR), Chem (AQA), Bio (AQA) Phys (AQA), Drama (OCR), Spanish (AQA)& Geography (AQA).

{I'll check this daily so if you want to post a question I'll try and respond as soon as I can! :smile:}

Hey! I'm in year 10 atm and I struggle with both Englishes. What books did you study for literature?
Original post by ellioondra
Hey! I'm in year 10 atm and I struggle with both Englishes. What books did you study for literature?

Hiya, I have posted a bit about English previously if you look through my previous posts here but am more than happy to help with any more specific questions you may have! The texts I studied for lit were: A Christmas Carol, An Inspector Calls, Romeo & Juliet and then Power and Conflict for poetry. :smile:
hey so for english literature i was just wondering how to link quotes and what you should write for analysis which both comes under the term used for essay writing “PETAL”
Original post by jenniferrr_
hey so for english literature i was just wondering how to link quotes and what you should write for analysis which both comes under the term used for essay writing “PETAL”

Sorry, we never used "PETAL" at my school, any chance you could tell me what the acronym stands for? I'm guessing: point, explanation, technique, analysis, link????? The question you have asked is quite broad but I can try to answer it. Can I just ask, are you referring to linking quotes directly together or linking quotes to the text? Also, are you asking how I wrote my english lit essays (like the format)?
Hiya, I'm a year 11 student who has some free time on their hands so was wondering if any year 10 students have any questions they want to ask me about subjects they're studying, revision tips, online resources or year 11 in general.

Subjects studied: Eng Lang (AQA), Eng Lit (AQA), Maths (OCR), Chem (AQA), Bio (AQA) Phys (AQA), Drama (OCR), Spanish (AQA)& Geography (AQA).

{I'll check this daily so if you want to post a question I'll try and respond as soon as I can! :smile:}

Subjects I'm studying: (are all aqa, gcse higher) Mathematics, English language and literature, triple science, art, history, business, Spanish.
I needs help in revising Triple science and my weakness is English language and literature. I need help and free tips in memorising fast and in detail.
Physics was actually my strongest subject with consistent 9's so I hope these tips help!

I'd highly recommend learning to understand each topic before you start revising it because if you understand it then you're more likely to make the most out of revising it. To do this try talking to/emailing your teacher about any concepts you don't understand (don't be afraid to ask questions!). To understand concepts (and for revision in general) I highly recommend the youtube channel freesciencelessons as he was probably the channel that helped me the absolute most.

Do past papers! With AQA science they look for quite specific answers on the mark schemes so doing past papers is my best tip for you as it really engages you to think what the mark scheme would want. Whilst marking the paper, use a different coloured pen to correct answers you got wrong and make a flashcard on it or note down the topic so you know what you need to revise. It's better to have a general understanding of each topic rather than an in-depth knowledge of one and not know much about the rest so don't worry if you can't understand some of the in-depth concepts (for me it was the magnetism unit that baffled me so I got a generalised understanding of it). I also recommend watching primrosekitten on youtube and her topic summaries/ the whole of AQA GCSE physics videos (I did this right before my mocks whilst making notes and it helped a lot. I also stuck the formulas on flashcards to my ceiling so they were the last thing I saw before I went to sleep (this apparently helps to remember them better and it worked for me! I tried to memorise 2 formulas each night before falling asleep!).

I tended to use the cgp revision guide (I highly recommend purchasing this if you haven't already) and make Cornell style notes on each page but use the revision method that works best for you {flashcards, mindmaps etc..}. Near the end of year 11 I started to make mindmaps of each topic as I, unfortunately, ran out of time to write all my notes. I posted an answer on how to memorise the formulas/remember them a while ago and have it on a doc if you want me to copy it and share it on here? (since quite a lot of the marks are made up from formula questions this could be quite useful for you?) :smile:

That would be great!
Hey everyone, if anybody is doing AQA Macbeth, power and conflict poetry, Jekyll and Hyde and AIC, pm me as I have some resources and some tips I could give you. I impribed from 7s to hig( 9s in both
Original post by Exite
That would be great!

If you have a look back on page one I've posted it on there! :smile:

Original post by Exite
Subjects I'm studying: (are all aqa, gcse higher) Mathematics, English language and literature, triple science, art, history, business, Spanish.
I needs help in revising Triple science and my weakness is English language and literature. I need help and free tips in memorising fast and in detail.

Okay, I've posted about English Lang and some Lit on the previous page also and physics in detail but I can give some tips on bio and chem here! :smile: I studied AQA higher papers also for all three sciences with (Phys= 9, Chem = 9 and Bio=8) {In my last set of mocks at least}

Chemistry:

Honestly for chemistry, I HIGHLY recommend doing past papers as you get used to the format the questions are portrayed in but also what the mark scheme is wanting ( I know I used to write way too much when the answer required was one sentence haha). Another thing I did (for all three sciences) made Cornell notes on each page from the cgp revision guide (you NEED to get these if you haven't already they are lifesavers). These were really helpful as well as flashcards which I could go over the night before an exam and even bring to school to quickly revise before an exam. Especially, for chem, I would recommend getting a largish flashcard and writing all the test (test for carbonates, co2 test, oxygen test, flame tests, precipitates test etc...) answers on it as I tended to bring these ones to school before an exam to quickly memorise so I could blurt them on the front page of my test as soon as it began. I also REALLY recommend freesciencelessons on youtube for chem as he allowed me to understand each topic (you need to understand it before you revise it as it makes revision 1000x easier) in simple details. Primrose kittens full topic/paper run-throughs for science were really useful for me to do the night before an exam and I also recommend physicsandmathstutor (website) to gain access to past paper questions.

Bio:

Once again PAST PAPERS as the mark schemes are quite specific for bio so if you learn what kind of answers they want it should be easier for you to give them. I also recommend (for all sciences) making flashcards for each practical as there always HAS to be at least one practical question in each paper which is usually 6 marks but could also have some 2 or 1 markers on safety features etc.. You also need to be able to apply topics you have learnt to questions that may seem unfamiliar so my tip here is to just really think about what the question is asking and how to go about answering it (think logically). For bio, the Cornell notes worked best for me but you'll need to figure out what works best for you (flashcards, blurting, mindmaps etc..)

Hope this helps! Any more questions I'm more than happy to answer. :smile: (I know someone who studied GCSE history who got 9's if you want me to ask them to write you an answer for revision tips on here?)
If you have a look back on page one I've posted it on there! :smile:

Okay, I've posted about English Lang and some Lit on the previous page also and physics in detail but I can give some tips on bio and chem here! :smile: I studied AQA higher papers also for all three sciences with (Phys= 9, Chem = 9 and Bio=8) {In my last set of mocks at least}

Chemistry:

Honestly for chemistry, I HIGHLY recommend doing past papers as you get used to the format the questions are portrayed in but also what the mark scheme is wanting ( I know I used to write way too much when the answer required was one sentence haha). Another thing I did (for all three sciences) made Cornell notes on each page from the cgp revision guide (you NEED to get these if you haven't already they are lifesavers). These were really helpful as well as flashcards which I could go over the night before an exam and even bring to school to quickly revise before an exam. Especially, for chem, I would recommend getting a largish flashcard and writing all the test (test for carbonates, co2 test, oxygen test, flame tests, precipitates test etc...) answers on it as I tended to bring these ones to school before an exam to quickly memorise so I could blurt them on the front page of my test as soon as it began. I also REALLY recommend freesciencelessons on youtube for chem as he allowed me to understand each topic (you need to understand it before you revise it as it makes revision 1000x easier) in simple details. Primrose kittens full topic/paper run-throughs for science were really useful for me to do the night before an exam and I also recommend physicsandmathstutor (website) to gain access to past paper questions.

Bio:

Once again PAST PAPERS as the mark schemes are quite specific for bio so if you learn what kind of answers they want it should be easier for you to give them. I also recommend (for all sciences) making flashcards for each practical as there always HAS to be at least one practical question in each paper which is usually 6 marks but could also have some 2 or 1 markers on safety features etc.. You also need to be able to apply topics you have learnt to questions that may seem unfamiliar so my tip here is to just really think about what the question is asking and how to go about answering it (think logically). For bio, the Cornell notes worked best for me but you'll need to figure out what works best for you (flashcards, blurting, mindmaps etc..)

Hope this helps! Any more questions I'm more than happy to answer. :smile: (I know someone who studied GCSE history who got 9's if you want me to ask them to write you an answer for revision tips on here?)

Wow, thank you SO much! :smile:
Hey everyone, if anybody is doing AQA Macbeth, power and conflict poetry, Jekyll and Hyde and AIC, pm me as I have some resources and some tips I could give you. I impribed from 7s to hig( 9s in both

hi would love this! omg
Reply 32

I’m doing Macbeth, Jekyll and Hyde, power and conflict and lord of the files ( I do aqa). What are your tips and resources?
would any other year 10s be interested in being on a discord study group where we focus on the same subjects and give each other tips but also takea accountability for each other cos my main issue is not having that motivation? what do you think could help op?

Did u do Triple science- what books would u recommend I’ve got the black and purple cgp books....
Original post by Cherrygrape1234
Did u do Triple science- what books would u recommend I’ve got the black and purple cgp books....

Hiya, I did do triple science (AQA) and there are some tips on this page and the last that may help you. Personally I only had the cgp books (higher) for each science and they were enough as they covered everything and I don't think I came across anything in any of my exams that those books didn't cover. The only other books I got were the cgp workbooks and answer books (I bought the answer books off amazon so I could self mark at home with a mark scheme that mimicked an exam mark scheme but I'm sure your teachers wouldn't mind marking it if you decide to just buy the workbook!) However, I honestly lived by the cgp books so, in my opinion, they were the best thing I had for triple science (and freesciencelessons on youtube of course!).
Hope this helps! :smile:
Hiya, I did do triple science (AQA) and there are some tips on this page and the last that may help you. Personally I only had the cgp books (higher) for each science and they were enough as they covered everything and I don't think I came across anything in any of my exams that those books didn't cover. The only other books I got were the cgp workbooks and answer books (I bought the answer books off amazon so I could self mark at home with a mark scheme that mimicked an exam mark scheme but I'm sure your teachers wouldn't mind marking it if you decide to just buy the workbook!) However, I honestly lived by the cgp books so, in my opinion, they were the best thing I had for triple science (and freesciencelessons on youtube of course!).
Hope this helps! :smile:

Thank you so much for replying and I just read thorough this thread it is sooo helpful! Just to clarify I have this book for each science: 975CC281-EB04-47CC-9788-629E78F12452.jpeg. Also, are u a regular on TSR because I will probably have much more questions that I need tips on during the summer or I could pm u? Thanks again :smile:
Thank you so much for replying and I just read thorough this thread it is sooo helpful! Just to clarify I have this book for each science: 975CC281-EB04-47CC-9788-629E78F12452.jpeg. Also, are u a regular on TSR because I will probably have much more questions that I need tips on during the summer or I could pm u? Thanks again :smile:

Hey :smile:
Those are the books I also used for the sciences and achieved 9's in all of them. I would say they are definitely the best books to use and if you are looking for some additional science help you could use freesciencelessons on youtube or my-gcsescience.com which is paid but supplies questions and videos covering each topic thoroughly. Those are the resources I used and they really helped me to understand everything. Hope this helps, if there are any other questions feel free to ask away :smile:
Original post by solver1601
Hey :smile:
Those are the books I also used for the sciences and achieved 9's in all of them. I would say they are definitely the best books to use and if you are looking for some additional science help you could use freesciencelessons on youtube or my-gcsescience.com which is paid but supplies questions and videos covering each topic thoroughly. Those are the resources I used and they really helped me to understand everything. Hope this helps, if there are any other questions feel free to ask away :smile:

Ok thank you!

Hiya, I think my cgp books were the same but the question and revision guide came separate, I'll find a pic of them now but they were bio: green, chem: red and phys was purple. I used these (and a few other things)and got two 9's and an 8 in my last set of mocks which was absolutely ages ago haha and I only revised the week or so before (don't recommend cramming though it just happened to work for me whoops {it IS a bad strategy though}). I can confirm I've never come across a question that the answer cannot be found to in these guides (apart from the application questions but the theories for them are there) Don't know if your guide is a higher/foundation or combined but mine were only higher? Here's a pic of the guides I had:
s-l400.jpg

I've been going on here quite a lot lately probably because I have the time to at the moment but I think I'll come on here regularly if people keep posting questions cause why not help out if I can right! :smile: Might end up being twice a week or so but if people post I'll check! Also if anyone wants me to try and explain any science theories/ processes I can try on here because the rule I lived by was trying to understand what was actually going on before revising this (it helps a lot trust me haha). Don't really know how the pm system on here works but I'm fine coming back on here during summer or actual mocks (sny time really) to help out any stressed year 11's or 10's (or curious year 9's) to answer any questions or give reassurance because I've been there too. So I guess I'm saying that I'll keep this thread open if I can so anyone can post on here when they want help or reassurance and I'll try my best to give a good reply! :smile:

Hope this helps? :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest