The Student Room Group

How does deferring work?

Do I do it now or once results are out? I would rather defer once I know I have got a place after results day.
Original post by etienne26
Do I do it now or once results are out? I would rather defer once I know I have got a place after results day.

You can leave it until results day and then ask your uni if you can defer
Reply 2
Original post by harrysbar
You can leave it until results day and then ask your uni if you can defer

They don’t have to accept the request do they?

No

But if you know your results then you are in a better position to decide whether you are happy taking a gap year and reapplying if they won’t agree to a deferral.

It is unusual for a university to refuse.

No they don't have to accept the request. They don't normally mind but obviously it could be different this year if too many people ask and apparently a small number have already stated that they don't consider coronavirus issues alone to be a good enough reason to defer .....most other unis will probably allow it though

https://www.totum.com/news/students-told-coronavirus-not-good-enough-reason-to-defer-by-universities
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Say if I get in with one or two grades below my offer, would my chances of deferring decrease or its the same?
Say if I get in with one or two grades below my offer, would my chances of deferring decrease or its the same?

It’s completely at the discretion of the university whether they will defer a place with lower grades or not.

Why not ring them up now and explain that you’re considering it but aren’t sure and ask them how it works. They’ll be able to explain whether they are likely to be helpful or ********s.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending