The Student Room Group

My school's dropped triple science - what can i do?

In my school, triple science isn't a GCSE that you take as an option - the two top sets (one on each half of the year) take triple. However, they've now decided that they don't want to enter anybody for triple, and have now dropped everyone down to combined. They wrote a whole letter explaining it which basically states it's because they've decided we're more likely to get higher grades in combined (10% of top set y11's got 9's in the nov mock sitting triple compared to 50% getting 9's in march mocks when sitting combined) and not because of the impact of covid.

I wouldn't mind as it was technically just an extra GCSE, but I was planning on going to a selective 6th form (average grade of A and I think around 75% go to 1st choice uni with 80% going to a russell group uni) to do maths, bio and chem a levels, but that school requires you to have sat triple science or they reject your application straight away. So obviously I wouldn't be able to apply anymore. Is there anything I can do? I would look at entering myself privately and teaching myself the parts of triple we haven't yet covered, but it'll be between £200-£300 and my family doesn't have the money for that. Even during online learning, science is my best subject and i was on track for a 9 in bio, 9 in physics and a 8/9 in chem sitting triple (based on my march mocks).

As I'm in my 2nd year of GCSEs (started in Y9), does anyone know whether my school is allowed to do this??? They made this decision completely without even mentioning it to anyone, so should my school be offering to enter people for triple??? How could I go about asking to be entered for triple??? I'm sorry that this was such a long read, but I could really do with some advice.
Original post by Candy578
In my school, triple science isn't a GCSE that you take as an option - the two top sets (one on each half of the year) take triple. However, they've now decided that they don't want to enter anybody for triple, and have now dropped everyone down to combined. They wrote a whole letter explaining it which basically states it's because they've decided we're more likely to get higher grades in combined (10% of top set y11's got 9's in the nov mock sitting triple compared to 50% getting 9's in march mocks when sitting combined) and not because of the impact of covid.

I wouldn't mind as it was technically just an extra GCSE, but I was planning on going to a selective 6th form (average grade of A and I think around 75% go to 1st choice uni with 80% going to a russell group uni) to do maths, bio and chem a levels, but that school requires you to have sat triple science or they reject your application straight away. So obviously I wouldn't be able to apply anymore. Is there anything I can do? I would look at entering myself privately and teaching myself the parts of triple we haven't yet covered, but it'll be between £200-£300 and my family doesn't have the money for that. Even during online learning, science is my best subject and i was on track for a 9 in bio, 9 in physics and a 8/9 in chem sitting triple (based on my march mocks).

As I'm in my 2nd year of GCSEs (started in Y9), does anyone know whether my school is allowed to do this??? They made this decision completely without even mentioning it to anyone, so should my school be offering to enter people for triple??? How could I go about asking to be entered for triple??? I'm sorry that this was such a long read, but I could really do with some advice.

Mate, it depends on what you want to do at a levels/ uni if you want to take a science for a level then it'll be best to do double as you'll be more likely to get a higher grade. At my school you require at least a B grade or above in the science you want to take AND all your sciences so you wouldnt wanna mess up at GCSE cos you may regret it later on.
Also believe me people who did double science for gcse are more than capable of doing it for alevel (its not like they are doing btec) and I know loads of people who took double science and are doing sciences at a levels, dont think your gunna be behind because you wont.
Coming to think about it GCSEs where just made to decide wether a person is capable of doing a certain a level subject or not so its not as if youll fail at life if you do badly in the mocks... (but how you respond does)

At the end it doesnt matter what class your in just try and get a B grade or above then it should be cool.
I would contact the 6th form you are interested in. There is a difference between taking double when triple was available and taking double because triple is not offered. If the schools are in a similar location then they will need to have an approach for this as you won't be the only student affected.
Reply 3
Original post by ReadingMum
I would contact the 6th form you are interested in. There is a difference between taking double when triple was available and taking double because triple is not offered. If the schools are in a similar location then they will need to have an approach for this as you won't be the only student affected.

I'm currently waiting for a response from them and I really hope that they understand what's going on. My only worries are that the selective school is in my borough whereas the school I currently go to isn't and that since the majority of people who go there study science to move onto a medicine uni course, so science a levels are going to be very competitive as they take the highest grades first.
Reply 4
Original post by han.578

hi, I know this was a couple of years ago but I’m currently in a similar situation and I just wanted to know what you ended up doing pls thanks **

Quick Reply

Latest