The Student Room Group

Can you tell when someone is lying?

Yes, when the person lying keeps explaining themselves eventhough I'm not asking for it. Usually, when I feel like someone's lying, I just stare at them. Try it and you'll see yourself watching a liar reveal himself/herself

It doesn't always work on everyone tho, sometimes people are just like that, they explain in advance so you wouldn't be too suspicious
Original post by anubha299
Yes, when the person lying keeps explaining themselves eventhough I'm not asking for it. Usually, when I feel like someone's lying, I just stare at them. Try it and you'll see yourself watching a liar reveal himself/herself

It doesn't always work on everyone tho, sometimes people are just like that, they explain in advance so you wouldn't be too suspicious

Read 'Talking To Strangers' by Malcolm Gladwell - small book, big impact. It explains in there why we TV Watching people have difficultly telling when someone is lying and why - he references Friends. My view has always been - if a person's words don't match their behaviour, then they are lying with their mouths, not their actions. Ultimately, it is what a person does, not what they say that reveals who they really are. If someone says "I love you" but treats you like a piece of garbage, they don't love you. They may think that they do, but that just means they are lying to themselves also. Actions, not words, can be trusted. This rule will set you up for life. Be merciful though, because unless you have never lied in your existence to anyone, then you cannot be judge and jury to others who you catch lying. Anyway, READ THE BOOK, you won't regret it!
Original post by TheMillHouseEdinburgh
Read 'Talking To Strangers' by Malcolm Gladwell - small book, big impact. It explains in there why we TV Watching people have difficultly telling when someone is lying and why - he references Friends. My view has always been - if a person's words don't match their behaviour, then they are lying with their mouths, not their actions. Ultimately, it is what a person does, not what they say that reveals who they really are. If someone says "I love you" but treats you like a piece of garbage, they don't love you. They may think that they do, but that just means they are lying to themselves also. Actions, not words, can be trusted. This rule will set you up for life. Be merciful though, because unless you have never lied in your existence to anyone, then you cannot be judge and jury to others who you catch lying. Anyway, READ THE BOOK, you won't regret it!

The book sounds interesting! I will add it to my to-read list for future references hahahaha thank you for the recommendation and advice :biggrin:
Original post by Kinder Bueno
If they do these 5 things, then I could tell.

1. They touch their face, mouth or throat. This subconscious body language may indicate that someone is lying to you.

2. They repeat themselves.

3. They pause before answering.

4. They look toward the door.

5. They don't blink.

I think I have come across this when I was watching a crime investigation video. Thank you!
A simple test, if they are a government minister.
Reply 5
A lot of people change the tone or tempo of their speech when lying sometimes slightly but once you notice it it's kinda obvious. But lying can depend on the person so anything that seems or sounds out of the ordinary to how the person generally acts can be an indication
I find that I realise someone is lying after the conversation. I'm so busy saying what I want to say, that I ignore that better part of my brain that is flagging something is just 'off' about tone, content, body language etc. Only when I ponder the conversation afterwards and entertain those flags that I understand what I was trying to tell myself - that the person was lying. The solution, be more present, listen closer, better, active listening. Two ears, one mouth - because we should listen twice as much as we talk.
This video explains some good points of what to look out for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending