The Student Room Group

Applying for PGCE Primary 2021 - what to do about work experience?

Hello,

I decided earlier on in the year that I would love to pursue a new career as a Primary school teacher. However, having been in a full time job for 2 years and now that schools are closed, I really don't know what to do about gaining adequate work experience to help my application. I have experience with kids (babysitting, nanny, aupair, international volunteering in a primary school) but not in a UK primary school. The courses I'm looking at consider such experience compulsory :frown: I'd really appreciate any suggestions or advice on what to do!
That's a bit of a sticky one...

I'd probably have a word with your employer about the scenario and see if they're okay with giving you a week or two off to gain said experience.

I'd then try and find the headteachers of each primary school local to you. Schools are now open quite a lot (it's still optional for parents to send them but they ARE open) so assuming they'd want you to wear PPE, you should be okay.

Good luck!
Original post by hmoc
Hello,

I decided earlier on in the year that I would love to pursue a new career as a Primary school teacher. However, having been in a full time job for 2 years and now that schools are closed, I really don't know what to do about gaining adequate work experience to help my application. I have experience with kids (babysitting, nanny, aupair, international volunteering in a primary school) but not in a UK primary school. The courses I'm looking at consider such experience compulsory :frown: I'd really appreciate any suggestions or advice on what to do!

Hey,
You don't actually need any experience to do a PGCE now as the government have taken that requirement away, you sound like you have experience working with children in an alternative context so that should look great on your application- what courses have you been looking at, for a PGCE they shouldn't reject you just because you don't have experience in UK primary schools.

Also here's the thread for 2021 applicants https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6522386 Hope this helps! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by hmoc
Hello,

Hi hmoc.

Do not panic about getting experience, you have a whole other year to get some before you start your teacher training and we can help you gain this if you contact the Get Into Teaching number on 0800 389 2500 and ask for an advisor. I'm surprised they have said this is compulsory, especially in these times, but it's easily sorted, you just may need to get time off work or use some annual leave in order to achieve this.

Cheers
Dan
Reply 4
Original post by JamThatJam
Hey,
You don't actually need any experience to do a PGCE now as the government have taken that requirement away, you sound like you have experience working with children in an alternative context so that should look great on your application- what courses have you been looking at, for a PGCE they shouldn't reject you just because you don't have experience in UK primary schools.

Also here's the thread for 2021 applicants https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6522386 Hope this helps! :smile:

Thank you very much for the info and reassurance! I have actually been looking at the Edinburgh PGDE (although I'm currently living in England). I'm not sure whether they have the same policy as the rest of the UK. Either way it's such a competitive course and I just feel my application won't be strong enough without experience. Following the 2021 thread now - thanks again!
Reply 5
Original post by JamThatJam
Hey,

Thank you very much for the info and reassurance! I have actually been looking at the Edinburgh PGDE (although I'm currently living in England). I'm not sure whether they have the same policy as the rest of the UK. Either way it's such a competitive course and I just feel my application won't be strong enough without experience. Following the 2021 thread now - thanks again!

Original post by Get into Teaching
Hi hmoc.

Do not panic about getting experience, you have a whole other year to get some before you start your teacher training and we can help you gain this if you contact the Get Into Teaching number on 0800 389 2500 and ask for an advisor. I'm surprised they have said this is compulsory, especially in these times, but it's easily sorted, you just may need to get time off work or use some annual leave in order to achieve this.

Cheers
Dan

Thank you Dan! I will contact Get Into Teaching. I am also looking into the Scottish PGDE - do you know whether there is a Scottish equivalent to the Get Into Teaching advisors? Also, do you think it would be realistic to get some work experience in September time so I can include it in my application? I'm hoping to apply by Christmas at least. Then I'm very happy to spend the rest of the year continuing work experience. Sorry for the barrage of questions! Many thanks again.
Original post by hmoc

Thank you Dan! I will contact Get Into Teaching. I am also looking into the Scottish PGDE - do you know whether there is a Scottish equivalent to the Get Into Teaching advisors? Also, do you think it would be realistic to get some work experience in September time so I can include it in my application? I'm hoping to apply by Christmas at least. Then I'm very happy to spend the rest of the year continuing work experience. Sorry for the barrage of questions! Many thanks again.

Hi hmoc

For more information about teaching in Scotland, visit https://teachinscotland.scot

If you want to apply for a combination of English and Scottish training providers, the Get Into Teaching Service can help!

Good Luck!

Sue
Original post by hmoc
Hello,

Hi, before I applied for a PGCE primary, my work experience was very limited in the UK as I worked abroad. My experience abroad was looked at in a good light by Newman University, leading to me getting a place on the course. Attached is a link to the web page 'PGCE Primary' https://www.newman.ac.uk/study-level/pgce-primary-with-qts/?infinity=ict2~net~gaw~ar~480510831094~kw~%2Bpgce%20%2Bprimary~mt~b~cmp~11647322393~ag~116317954554&gclid=CjwKCAiAuoqABhAsEiwAdSkVVEQxeSz-A6D4IQufOg6jAnutr2aw76uyccvuSsAhtct1Csa_iPZPMhoCCVYQAvD_BwE
Reply 8
Hi,
Does anyone know how long it takes for the uni to get back to you after the interview?
Thank
Original post by nicz206
Hi,
Does anyone know how long it takes for the uni to get back to you after the interview?
Thank

Hi @nicz206,

I hope you're keeping well.

Please see below information directly from UCAS:

Training providers are committed to letting you know their decision as quickly as possible. In the unlikely event they don’t reply by the deadline we give them (40 working days for applications received by 1 July, or 20 working days for applications received after 1 July), the choice will automatically be made unsuccessful. Once you've heard from all your choices, you'll have ten working days to respond to any offers you get.

I hope that helps.

Kind regards,

Zee
Reply 10
Ok, perfect. Thank you
Original post by hmoc
Hello,

Hi hmoc,

Just to add to what has already been said and suggested, have you considered becoming a volunteer in schools? Do a general google search, as I did and these are a few of the links that came up:

https://www.nspcc.org.uk/support-us/volunteering-nspcc-childline/volunteer-in-schools/
https://www.charityjob.co.uk/careeradvice/volunteers/education-support-volunteer-guide/
https://debatemate.org/mentor/

You may add your own area when you do the google search as there may be opportunities with local charities near to you.

The very best of luck hmoc and, as my colleague suggested please do come and sign up for an advisor with Get into Teaching, we are very supportive and welcome potential teachers who have a degree qualification - or working towards.

Meg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending