The Student Room Group

Labour Leader apologises for calling Black Lives Matter a ’moment’

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

That was good of him.
This is trivial news at its finest. Absolutely nothing of substance here ...
Original post by excitedpresent

I’m focussed at how Starmer isn’t able to stick to a position. Flip-flopping isn’t a desirable trait for a potential PM.
Original post by TheStarboy
I’m focussed at how Starmer isn’t able to stick to a position. Flip-flopping isn’t a desirable trait for a potential PM.

How has his position changed?

Perhaps, but he's still much more popular than Corbyn. People like that he's more of a central leftie; I reckon he'll do well in the next election.
Original post by excitedpresent

yet we still see frothing at the mouth in the replies

I don't know how anyone has the energy to get so outraged over basically nothing.
Original post by DiddyDec
How has his position changed?

Why did he need to apologise again? If he correctly stated his position in the first place, he wouldn't have caused any controversy?
Reply 8

Can you give examples of him "not able to stick to a position"? (Clarifying the meaning of a comment is not "changing position")

Can you explain why being able to change position when and if necessary would be an undesirable trait in a leader? Seems pretty essential to me.
Reply 9
Why did he need to apologise again? If he correctly stated his position in the first place, he wouldn't have caused any controversy?

He's apologising on behalf of the saddos who are trying to make a thing out of a no thing. You know, like "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realise I had to explain every nuance and subtlety of concept with lolcat memes and emojis".
Pleased to see this.

I was just getting worried that he was starting to demonstrate real vision and conviction, facing down the Left, and giving a reason even for an unreconstructed right winger like me to vote Labour. That would make him a real handful, like Blair in fact. Despised by the left but an electoral machine, a Tory killer. Labour ALWAYS wins from the centre, not the left. In 1945 its programme was the centre.

But it looks like he is seeking an accommodation with the left wing dingbats in his own party, rather than going in for the kill whilst they are at his mercy.

Which makes him much less dangerous electorally. Still a matter of concern though. But by the time the next election comes round Brexit will have completely happened which is the main thing.

And if he tried to reverse it (which he definitely would want to) that would consume all the energies of his entire government and nothing else would be done.

So all good really. The more he kneels to BLM and plays identity politics the better I like it. :smile:

He didn't need to apologise but evidently thought is was appropriate while clarifying his position.

Now will you answer the question, how has his position changed?
Original post by QE2
Can you give examples of him "not able to stick to a position"? (Clarifying the meaning of a comment is not "changing position")

Can you explain why being able to change position when and if necessary would be an undesirable trait in a leader? Seems pretty essential to me.

Original post by QE2
He's apologising on behalf of the saddos who are trying to make a thing out of a no thing. You know, like "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realise I had to explain every nuance and subtlety of concept with lolcat memes and emojis".

He didn't need to apologise but evidently thought is was appropriate while clarifying his position.

Now will you answer the question, how has his position changed?

I was wrong about him changing his positions but it's more about why his statement gave me the wrong impression. Now that he's clarified his position, i undertsand his point.
I was wrong about him changing his positions but it's more about why his statement gave me the wrong impression. Now that he's clarified his position, i undertsand his point.

Shall we start calling you Mr Flip Flop now?
Original post by generallee
Pleased to see this.

I was just getting worried that he was starting to demonstrate real vision and conviction, facing down the Left, and giving a reason even for an unreconstructed right winger like me to vote Labour. That would make him a real handful, like Blair in fact. Despised by the left but an electoral machine, a Tory killer. Labour ALWAYS wins from the centre, not the left. In 1945 its programme was the centre.

But it looks like he is seeking an accommodation with the left wing dingbats in his own party, rather than going in for the kill whilst they are at his mercy.

Which makes him much less dangerous electorally. Still a matter of concern though. But by the time the next election comes round Brexit will have completely happened which is the main thing.

And if he tried to reverse it (which he definitely would want to) that would consume all the energies of his entire government and nothing else would be done.

So all good really. The more he kneels to BLM and plays identity politics the better I like it. :smile:

While i don't like Starmer, it's good to see you get offended over a simple statement. Good luck sticking with the so-called Conservative Party :smile:
Can someone explain to me what describing BLM as a "moment" means in the first place and what was so bad about it?
While i don't like Starmer, it's good to see you get offended over a simple statement. Good luck sticking with the so-called Conservative Party :smile:

I'm not offended I am really pleased. Everything in politics isn't about taking offence, you know..

As for the Tory Party don't get me started.
Shall we start calling you Mr Flip Flop now?

You're free to call me that. I made a mistake and switched positions so i wouldn't be against that.
Original post by 18FF930U3I
Can someone explain to me what describing BLM as a "moment" means in the first place and what was so bad about it?

He meant it was ephemeral, not lasting. Here today, gone tomorrow. Or at least that was what it sounded like.

It was bad because the liberal consensus and (above all) his own party think that BLM are the saviours of the western world.
Original post by generallee
He meant it was ephemeral, not lasting. Here today, gone tomorrow. Or at least that was what it sounded like.

It was bad because the liberal consensus and (above all) his own party think that BLM are the saviours of the western world.

Okay ty :smile: just wondered if it had another meaning

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending