The Student Room Group

Advice in going from a DDD to A*A*A*

Hi,

Just need some help from you all.

I just finished Year 12 and I am currently predicted DDD for A level. I belive there is something wrong with the way I revise. My revision technique goes:'Organising Class Notes into a folder,reading over the class notes,textbook, cgp guide and then doing the questions from the textbook then the cgp guide then the class examples from the worksheet.

I take Maths,Physics and Chemistry at A Level and would like to study a degree in Engineering.

I go to a private school and it is quite expensive.

I have wasted a year adjusting and trying my level best to achieve at least a BBB in all the subjects.

I am naturally known by everyone as a 'complicated/complex person', who is a 'perfoectionist'.

I have been called numerous times as 'intelligent','hardworking' and one of the most 'independent' learners who is very 'quiet'.

I have been told by everybody that I have a 'learning difficulty' in that it takes time for me to put the Core Practical Set Up from the Physics and Chemistry Syllabus into action compared to other students and peers.

I have tried to work on this and have used an aide from the AQA Website of pictures of how to set up the equipment.

I have been told off from this by a subject teacher. Seriously,I have never know that this is deemed as 'malpractice'.

I wasnt told this by anyone...not from any of my subject science teachers.

I discussed this with my parents but my parents fail to understand why I used that and they started supporting the teachers claims.

I feel I didnt do the wrong thing because I am trying to solve the issue with myself regarding core practicials.. I have been told by the subject teacher that you could look at how others are seeting up their stuff. I did that earlier however I was told off by the same subject teacher aand so I thought the best way to solve tbis issue was to go to AQA A Level Physics Required Practicial Set Up Guide and see how it is arranged.

Please can someone correct me in that looking at how the Set Up has been set and using the sheet during the Required Practicial AExperimental assessment Day is deemed as'malpractice'. Please clarify me on this.

So,moving on from this, everyone says that I dont talk to much and that I am very 'toxic' and complicated'.

I am sick and tired of hearing everyone compalining their concerns regarding about me.

It feels like as if I have been labelled as this one minute the next the other and that I have to follow what everyone is teelling me to do.

This has really given me low self esteem and I have now 'absolute Zero Confidence' within myself.

I dont know where to go from here because I feel that whenwver I am following this or her' advise and tryi gng to apply into action in order to get a better result,I am just getting the same old result and I am not going above '38%' in all of exams so far.

Instead people claim that I am very 'intellige t and hardworking and very indepedenet and am a perfwcrionist'.

This words to really trigger me as I wonder and think to myself that why the hell are people ranting and giving me the false hop that I can improve and being very unrealstic about expectations about myself.

When asked by them why I say this , instead they argue and say 'So you are going to teach me ?'.

I dont know where to go from here.

I have in my previous posts mentioned that I would hope to acheive and deliver in achieving 3A*s for A Level next year in A Level Results Day, by first going from a DDD to a BBB and aiming straight from there.

I am really co fused and would like someone's help from this.

I really hope you can u derstand the situation I am in and what I have gone through for over 8 months so far.

Scroll to see replies

You need to be ‘smarter’ about your revision to save time. What I usually do is identify my main areas of weakness by looking at the contents page of revision guide/textbook or at the specification (leave no stone unturned!). I then make revision cards on each topic targeting my weakest areas first and doing stronger areas later. Doing it on revision cards allows me to store them easily and test myself on them (I usually do this by putting the topic on one side of the card and info on the other). It helps to revisit revision cards many times.
It is also helpful to identify question types or topics you struggle on and practise them. For me I struggled with long answer questions so I found all of the most common ones and then copied the markscheme for each one (which tends to be the same each year) onto a revision card to help me lean marking points.
Hopefully this will save you some time by not wasting time on topics you’re already good at.
And finally - practise as many exam papers as you can! Even old specification papers (can be found on physics and maths tutor).
1. Identify the current problem. Is it that you're not understanding the content? Do you understand but find it difficult to do exam questions? Is the issue nerves in exams? Indentify the problem first so that you can solve it.
2. Work out which study techniques help you and which are a waste of time for you. For example, anything which includes active recall will be more effective than passively reading the textbook.
3. Identify any lifestyle changes you need to make. For example, lack of sleep can really impact your grades
4. Make a summer revision plan for the summer starting with the most difficult topics. Be realistic and remember that relaxation is important too, but equally make sure that you do maintain some level of study all the way through.
5. Research anything that you don't understand and add to your notes - make sure that you understand before you try to learn content.
6. Keep testing yourself on what you've learnt so that you remember it in the longer term.
7. Believe in yourself :smile:

My favourite revision technique:
1. Choose a specific topic to revise, and set a time limit on that session.
2. Spend 5-10 minutes writing down everything I remember about that topic on scrap paper or a whiteboard. This can include what you definitely know, what you think you know, facts, keywords, equations... just anything and everything.
3. Spend 5-10 minutes using my notes and the textbook to add to and correct this 'blurt'.
4. If there's anything I don't understand, spend 20 minutes researching it using youtube and online articles so that I do understand it.
5. Spend 20 minutes doing questions about it, either from past papers (closer to exam time) or from the textbook or from past class tests.
6. Repeat steps 1-2 up to 3 times until I can write out everything about the topic within the time limit. If I use a whiteboard, I take a photo of the corrected and complete version of the 'blurt' and then use that to mark future attempts at the topic.
7. 12 hours to a day later, do steps 1-2 again for the same topic to help with long-term memory.
8. Keep returning to the topic to refresh your memory through the year.

A*A*A* will be very difficult (as it is for everyone), so please don't be disappointed if it doesn't happen. Any improvement is amazing and should be celebrated, even if it's not a 'perfect' grade. But I really do believe that you can make big improvements - it's about identifying what needs changing and going from there. There is time for you to do it and 3A*s isn't impossible. If you have the money, a tutor might even be able to help you, as individual teaching can be great for many people. If you don't, I get that too - I didn't, but consistent hard work can do a world of wonders :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Thank you. I do realise and have realistic goals. Also, I have made my post quite clear tbh with you.
Original post by Anisha23456789
Thank you. I do realise and have realistic goals. Also, I have made my post quite clear tbh with you.

You really haven't, it's very difficult to follow. Have you ever been tested for a learning disability, if that's what everyone thinks you have?
I think sure am not detaching myself from the reality of the situation. It has sure been diffuclt for me as I dont improve and am stuck at 38%to 40% in all my exams done at A Levels thus so far and teachers have started gossiping about me as a sixth form student as they dont know what is going to happen to me before I submit my UCAS Application beofre the 15 January Deadline. They ceratinly do laugh at what I am doing and consider me as a 'dumb like a donkey' and how is dumb and deff and doesnt seek help at the right time and because of this they are just going to award me DDD for UCAS Predictions for my UCAS Application.
Original post by black tea
You really haven't, it's very difficult to follow. Have you ever been tested for a learning disability, if that's what everyone thinks you have?

Sorry.....I sure did make my post quite clear tbh....the way and tone your talking is not very encouraging to someone who has and is still going a bad phase of their life. I dont need to be tested for a learning disability as that is just down to how I feel and whether I am comfortable or not in doing so. Besides, please make sure to be positive and encouraging to someone who is finding more hard than anyone and who is not very vocal. You clearly are rather than trying to help me with the situation, are rather creating more negative vibes.

Please change the way you write something to someone.
Thank you once again. I am trying to as it takes quite a time for something to change while working on it. I am sire you would appreciate the fact that to see an improvement it takes time and doesnt happen at once.
what do u need for your as levels?
Sorry.....I sure did make my post quite clear tbh....the way and tone your talking is not very encouraging to someone who has and is still going a bad phase of their life. I dont need to be tested for a learning disability as that is just down to how I feel and whether I am comfortable or not in doing so. Besides, please make sure to be positive and encouraging to someone who is finding more hard than anyone and who is not very vocal. You clearly are rather than trying to help me with the situation, are rather creating more negative vibes.

You come across as having quite a bad attitude, whether or not you mean to. You've also been making multiple threads with essentially the same question, which isn't constructive. We get this quite a bit on TSR: if you don't want people to say things that you might not agree with, or object to, then don't make a post on a public forum asking for the input of strangers.

You're not going to go from DDD to A*A*A*. Fact. And yes, what you did is malpractice.
Original post by johan asoms
what do u need for your as levels?

Could you clarify again more clearly...do you mean grades or help/support? Thanks.
your talking about wanting A*A*A* at a levels but what about ucas predicted grades. what the grades you need for ucas predicted. i assume its AAA but you have DDD
3A*’s might be a bit unrealistic but it’s a good ambition to aim for. for maths i’d make sure u do all exercises in your textbook, go on PMT(physics and maths tutor) and try as many questions as you can, also look at exam solutions for vids + exam questions.
for physics/chem stay on top of your content and notes/flashcards, exam practise on PMT, if ur aqa chem check out chemrevise for some AMAZING notes
SO all in all just stay on top of everything and catch up on what you’ve missed, you can do it!

I simply asked you a question based on your original post. If "everyone" thinks you have a learning disability, your school or parents should have arranged for you to be tested for this to allow you to get additional help with your learning and to allow you to get better grades. Perhaps that is an option to explore if there are genuine concerns from your teachers about a learning disability.
Original post by d0nkey_dude
3A*’s might be a bit unrealistic but it’s a good ambition to aim for. for maths i’d make sure u do all exercises in your textbook, go on PMT(physics and maths tutor) and try as many questions as you can, also look at exam solutions for vids + exam questions.
for physics/chem stay on top of your content and notes/flashcards, exam practise on PMT, if ur aqa chem check out chemrevise for some AMAZING notes
SO all in all just stay on top of everything and catch up on what you’ve missed, you can do it!

Thank you.
I think there is a typo error simetimes.
trying to give a bad impression of me publicly to everyone on tsr.

You are the one doing that with your posts
I've blocked her now - she's just sending increasingly bizarre PMs.

Only on TSR :facepalm:
Stop berating people and take the advice
By definition, I didnt send you any bizarre pms.....if I have said sorry for anything for what i am doing that is annoying you and if amything that is annoying me from you, I simply requested you to be a bit more nice and positive.

Yes, you block someone only if yourself is scared and cant face the truth.

Quick Reply

Latest