The Student Room Group

Could the UK make it's own union?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paul514
It’s four countries making an agreement that are all exceptionally similar in pretty much every way. It doesn’t need a Parliament it can be the job of the prime minster of each nation.

So what happens if a company in one country decides to cut corners to give itself an advantage? Who arbitrates the dispute? The prime minister? Which one?
Can join the union of Russia, Iran, Syria, Venezuela and North Korea. :biggrin:
Original post by Alessandro.C_27
I was just wondering if we could make our own union, now seeing that we are leaving the EU.

We could have the same rules as the EU, but ever so slightly better to encourage countries to join.

We could then have commonwealth countries out of europe to connect us worldwide such as Canada, Australia and New Zealand. And every member state can have a little union jack in the corner of its flag.

I think this would be a good compromise for both remainers and brexiters because we would be out of the eu but still in a union.

HQ could be in london of course.

Maybe the union could be called the "United Kingdom" and what we currently see as the UK can be changed to Great Britain? Because there isn't really much difference between UK and GB anyways?

Another idea I had was to merge the uk with neighbouring nations such as Scandinavian countries, Belgium, Netherlands etc... just to keep us on the leaderboards because I find it so depressing how by 2050 our gdp will drop to 10th place and counties like Brazil and Mexico will be overtaking us!!

Maybe CANZUK + Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, Faroe Islands and Greenland
Original post by ByEeek
So what happens if a company in one country decides to cut corners to give itself an advantage? Who arbitrates the dispute? The prime minister? Which one?

The state of the rule breaking company obviously.
Original post by Mad_Dog_Graveson

Adding none commonwealth ex colony’s would be very messy in comparison that is what the beauty is.

Also the size of the four combined is big enough to achieve its aims alone
People who make suggestions like this play too many empire building games.
Original post by paul514
The state of the rule breaking company obviously.

That sounds like a great way for member states to turn a blind eye to rule breaking and to spin disputes in their favour.
Original post by paul514
Adding none commonwealth ex colony’s would be very messy in comparison that is what the beauty is.

Also the size of the four combined is big enough to achieve its aims alone

True, but don’t you want to see a return of the North Sea Empire without Denmark
Reply 48
I was just wondering if we could make our own union, now seeing that we are leaving the EU.

Yeah we could bring different kingdoms together in unity.

It could be called 'The United Kingdom'.
Reply 49

Perhaps a political party could be setup which calls itself the Unionist Party?
Original post by SHallowvale
That sounds like a great way for member states to turn a blind eye to rule breaking and to spin disputes in their favour.

Which rule would this be?
Original post by paul514
Which rule would this be?

Rules that govern how the union functions.
Original post by SHallowvale
Rules that govern how the union functions.

Such as? This isn’t a full political union it’s a trade deal with a few extras
Original post by ByEeek
Its a great idea. So shall we start with free trade? But in a service lead economy like ours, surely it should be possible for people in our union to be able to live and work anywhere in the union?
And of course for an even playing field we would need laws to ensure fair play?
And therefore we would need a union parliament to set the laws?
And a union court to uphold those laws?

Hang on - that's the EU.

It would be an EU which has less laws which currently tie countries up. This would be good news for brexiters but also for us remainers as we would still have a union, just with looser rules
Original post by ByEeek

I think a central building in London would be good where representatives from each country made it up. I wouldn't say it has to be a parliament. but more as a regulator for laws that affect the union. All laws that affect only specific countries can remain within the parliaments of each country.
Original post by Mad_Dog_Graveson

Add netherlands, Denmark and the rest of Scandinavia and Western Europe and I'd be happy

We could have the same rules as the EU, but ever so slightly better to encourage countries to join.

We could then have commonwealth countries out of europe to connect us worldwide such as Canada, Australia and New Zealand. And every member state can have a little union jack in the corner of its flag.

I think this would be a good compromise for both remainers and brexiters because we would be out of the eu but still in a union.

HQ could be in london of course.

Maybe the union could be called the "United Kingdom" and what we currently see as the UK can be changed to Great Britain? Because there isn't really much difference between UK and GB anyways?

Another idea I had was to merge the uk with neighbouring nations such as Scandinavian countries, Belgium, Netherlands etc... just to keep us on the leaderboards because I find it so depressing how by 2050 our gdp will drop to 10th place and counties like Brazil and Mexico will be overtaking us!!

ROWLEY REGIS, England Except for protracted uncertainty over Britain’s future relationship with Europe, these are promising days at Cube Precision, a factory in the Black Country of England.
The company manufactures tools used to make parts for airplanes and cars. Some of those parts eventually wind up in jets made by Airbus, a company now overwhelmed with orders as a safety scandal engulfs its primary competitor, Boeing. Another catastrophe is also increasing its sales: Companies that had been hiring Chinese factories to make their tools are shifting orders to Cube Precision to avoid the chaos of the coronavirus epidemic.
But Brexit threatens revenue-destroying disruption.
Like most of British industry, Cube Precision is intimately intertwined with Europe, selling its wares to companies that send exports there. Last month, Britain officially left the ranks of the European Union. In the next few weeks, negotiators plan to begin hashing out a deal governing future trade across the English Channel. The positions staked out by the British government pose perils for businesses that depend on Europe for sales and parts.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson and his Conservative Party owe their commanding parliamentary majority to nationalist sloganeering that promises to “Get Brexit Done” and “Take Back Control.” As the government prepares for trade talks, it is asserting the right to diverge from European rules governing a host of commercial concerns from fishing access and financial regulations to product safety, labor and environmental standards.
Reply 57
It would be an EU which has less laws which currently tie countries up. This would be good news for brexiters but also for us remainers as we would still have a union, just with looser rules

But really bad for yes/leave voters?
Original post by Quady
But really bad for yes/leave voters?

No not at all, the brexitiers will have a union which has less laws than the EU and its central hq is in London
Reply 59
No not at all, the brexitiers will have a union which has less laws than the EU and its central hq is in London

I said yes / leave voters.

Why would yes voters (such as I) have any interest in a union? Especially one based in that bloody London.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending