The Student Room Group

What do you think of my A-level subjects?

This is what I'm taking:
maths, further maths, physics and chemistry

Scroll to see replies

if you enjoy them and they get you where you want they're perfect
(edited 3 years ago)
I’m taking the same. Hope they’ll be alright , they already seem to compliment each other well
Original post by bambi1425
if you enjoy them and they get you where you want they're perfect

thanks (:
Further maths will make regular maths look like a GCSE
Original post by PizzaMan2989
I’m taking the same. Hope they’ll be alright , they already seem to compliment each other well

whatt really?! yass at least I know someone whos doing the same subjects as me now

have u started any prep? our school hasn't given us anything
Reply 6
If you are the mathsy type of person then it shouldn't be too bad, otherwise RIP (With 4 A levels involving a lot of maths)
Original post by LordFahid
Further maths will make regular maths look like a GCSE

haha lol
Original post by The RAR
If you are the mathsy type of person then it shouldn't be too bad, otherwise RIP

yh Im not VERY mathsy but I do enjoy maths quite a bit

i enjoy some humanities too but I just haven't picked one as my A-level cuz...idk
Reply 9
Original post by vix.xvi

i enjoy some humanities too but I just haven't picked one as my A-level cuz...idk

As long as you enjoy it its fine, with A levels you have to be a bit interested in what you are learning especially since you are doing 4 otherwise it will be suicide
Original post by vix.xvi
whatt really?! yass at least I know someone whos doing the same subjects as me now

have u started any prep? our school hasn't given us anything

Yeah there are quite a few people ik doing this combination. I’m hopefully looking to apply for engineering which makes this choice if subjects quite common. I haven’t started any prep but I plan too in Mid July /August. I also prob need to revise to take my maths GCSE as I’m not certain what grade I’ll get despite knowing I’m capable of a 9 - I “flopped” the mock and got a 7 because...I guess I didn’t take it seriously enough lol
Original post by The RAR
As long as you enjoy it its fine, with A levels you have to be a bit interested in what you are learning especially since you are doing 4 otherwise it will be suicide

ok cool:smile:

we have to drop one of our subjects in year 13 so ultimately we take only 3 a levels
Original post by vix.xvi
ok cool:smile:

we have to drop one of our subjects in year 13 so ultimately we take only 3 a levels

Ah good! But since all A levels are linear now I personally would just take 3, that is only if you are 100% sure that you wanna do those 3 A levels for two years.
Original post by vix.xvi

If you're not very mathsy, then I'd question the wisdom of doing maths, FM and physics. What do you want to do at uni?
Original post by Reality Check
If you're not very mathsy, then I'd question the wisdom of doing maths, FM and physics. What do you want to do at uni?

mmm not sure what I wanna do in the future

But I can always drop one in a year, idk what else id chose tbh. I enjoyed English a lot but it was my WORST subject,so cant take that
Original post by vix.xvi
mmm not sure what I wanna do in the future

But I can always drop one in a year, idk what else id chose tbh. I enjoyed English a lot but it was my WORST subject,so cant take that

What were your best subjects at GCSE? In terms of achievement?
Reply 16
I might be biased AF but I like the maths fest there!

Personally I would not be opting for four A-Levels though. Universities make offers based on three.
Original post by vix.xvi

I'm even more concerned about your doing FOUR A-Levels after seeing this.

"I'm not very mathsy" isn't the kind of thing I'd expect to hear from a prospective Further Maths student. By all means you could comfortably get through Maths A-Level but FM? FM is a steep enough learning curve for 'mathsy' folk, let alone pushing on with it when you aren't 101% confident AND squeezing in an extra A-Level.

Not trying to be a debby downer though, legit just trying to help you steer yourself towards the right decision.
Original post by Reality Check
What were your best subjects at GCSE? In terms of achievement?

maths, phys chem bio DT and Comp sci
I am going into year 13 doing these subjects, ask me any questions
Original post by vix.xvi
maths, physc chem bio DT and Comp sci

In that case, you're being rational in choosing them for A levels. Be aware that unless you really do love maths, and have some facility with it, maths FM and physics could be quite a struggle. If you're not wedded to doing physical sciences at uni, then it might be worth thinking about biology instead of FM, and take maths, chemistry and biology instead. Less intensive maths, but still playing to your strengths in science.

Quick Reply

Latest