The Student Room Group

Law Clearing & Adjustment 2020

Clearing opens on Monday July 6th when unis with vacancies will start to display them on their own websites and on the UCAS website. The main change to the system this year is Clearing Plus (running alongside normal Clearing) which aims to suggest suitable options to unplaced students taking account of their grades and subjects.

There is a lot of information about Clearing and Clearing Plus on the Applications & UCAS forum (see links below), but I thought I would start a thread specifically for students on this forum to discuss any issues. I will also start listing unis we know to have vacancies for Law as soon as they start revealing their grades requirements, so please do ask any questions or share any information you wish to in the following couple of months

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6552678

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6552572
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Am I the only one that didn't know clearing started this early?!:colondollar:
Reply 2
Original post by Euphoria101
Am I the only one that didn't know clearing started this early?!:colondollar:

I doubt it :biggrin:

People mainly associate Clearing with A level/BTEC results but other results come out earlier. IB results are out on the 6th July
Original post by harrysbar
I doubt it :biggrin:

People mainly associate Clearing with A level/BTEC results but other results come out earlier. IB results are out on the 6th July

Oh that does make sense, I did think IB students received results early August though:colondollar:

Is it open for all students them - or just international at first?

What universities were open for early clearing last year (for law ofc!)?
Actually, have another question lol. Does York do clearing for Law? They interview right - how would that work?:s-smilie:
Reply 5
Oh that does make sense, I did think IB students received results early August though:colondollar:

Is it open for all students them - or just international at first?

What universities were open for early clearing last year (for law ofc!)?

Actually, have another question lol. Does York do clearing for Law? They interview right - how would that work?:s-smilie:

It's open for all students who have their results but that will be mainly international students at first.

I can't remember who advertised vacancies early in Clearing last year but don't think York was in Clearing. That doesn't mean they won't be this year, who knows? If they are they will just interview over the phone but I would expect it to be a brief interview
It's open for all students who have their results but that will be mainly international students at first.

I can't remember who advertised vacancies early in Clearing last year but don't think York was in Clearing. That doesn't mean they won't be this year, who knows? If they are they will just interview over the phone but I would expect it to be a brief interview

Interesting, I'll be sure to check the thread on Monday then to see what universities are advertising! That makes sense though, I think it was you that said Notts did early clearing last year and I was so confused, had no idea what that meant!

Oh yeah, good point.
Reply 7
Interesting, I'll be sure to check the thread on Monday then to see what universities are advertising! That makes sense though, I think it was you that said Notts did early clearing last year and I was so confused, had no idea what that meant!

Oh sorry if I was confusing.

Last year I didn't make the Clearing thread until a couple of days before the A level results came out. What I meant by Notts having vacancies early in Clearing was that they had some vacancies on A level results day (which I consider to be the start of the main Clearing period) but these had all been filled by 10am on that day.

I won't be checking UCAS for the unis showing vacancies for Law until the afternoon as I'm in work on Monday - if you have particular unis in mind I would take a look on UCAS and on the uni websites and possibly give them a call to discuss. But the number of vacancies also fluctuates throughout the Clearing period so people shouldn't find it strange if not many unis are advertising vacancies at first - some will just be waiting for the Scottish Highers or A level/BTEC results to come out before knowing if they will be in Clearing or not.

Last year I didn't make the Clearing thread until a couple of days before the A level results came out. What I meant by Notts having vacancies early in Clearing was that they had some vacancies on A level results day (which I consider to be the start of the main Clearing period) but these had all been filled by 10am on that day.

I won't be checking UCAS for the unis showing vacancies for Law until the afternoon as I'm in work on Monday - if you have particular unis in mind I would take a look on UCAS and on the uni websites and possibly give them a call to discuss. But the number of vacancies also fluctuates throughout the Clearing period so people shouldn't find it strange if not many unis are advertising vacancies at first - some will just be waiting for the Scottish Highers or A level/BTEC results to come out before knowing if they will be in Clearing or not.

No no I’m not going through clearing, I’m doing autumn exams:smile: I’m just nosy😳

Oh no that’s fine I misunderstood!
Reply 9

How can i get the university numbers to call for clearing
Reply 10
Original post by Afazak
How can i get the university numbers to call for clearing

On the uni websites, if they have vacancies they normally have a clearing telephone number or a short form to fill out to show you might be interested
hi I am hoping to apply through clearing to Lancaster's law degree. just wondering how lenient they are (when it comes to Scottish highers) and whether they accept a HNC in law I have emailed the uni but no response
Reply 12
Original post by savetheturtles11
hi I am hoping to apply through clearing to Lancaster's law degree. just wondering how lenient they are (when it comes to Scottish highers) and whether they accept a HNC in law I have emailed the uni but no response

I would phone Lancaster Admissions on Monday which is when Clearing officially opens. Only they can tell you if they will accept you with the qualifications you currently hold

Well, York has adjusted its entry requirements for law from AAA to AAB for clearing. So I should imagine York does go into clearing for law and they probably interview over the phone.
Reply 14
Original post by Tinders
Well, York has adjusted its entry requirements for law from AAA to AAB for clearing. So I should imagine York does go into clearing for law and they probably interview over the phone.

Thank you for the information Tinders - can I just ask how you know that York are asking for AAB in Clearing - did they tell you that? Only they don't seem to be listing it on their website only the senior status LLBS degree which requires a first degree from another country.

I have to say York are advertising lots of other subjects at good grades however, more than usual
Thank you for the information Tinders - can I just ask how you know that York are asking for AAB in Clearing - did they tell you that? Only they don't seem to be listing it on their website only the senior status LLBS degree which requires a first degree from another country.

I have to say York are advertising lots of other subjects at good grades however, more than usual

https://www.york.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/llb-law/

there you go it says this offer has been adjusted for clearing under the AAB :smile: However, I've also seen they're only taking internationals students but that is not from a reliable source.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Tinders
https://www.york.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/llb-law/

there you go it says this offer has been adjusted for clearing under the AAB :smile: However, I've also seen they're only taking internationals students but that is not from a reliable source.

Thank you, I was only looking at the Clearing page which doesn't list the 3 year Law degree.

I'm going to put York on my list as AAB as it doesn't say it's only for international students (will adjust the information if anyone specifically gets told that is the case).
I'm surprised about York because they're not listing on the UCAS vacancies page.

I wonder if anyone's gonna apply through clearing with IB results! I was on the thread and some people are saying they're going to wait until August as not many universities are advertising yet. Apparently Exeter med made a mistake and advertised clearing! It's all a mess really:frown:
Reply 18
I'm surprised about York because they're not listing on the UCAS vacancies page.

I wonder if anyone's gonna apply through clearing with IB results! I was on the thread and some people are saying they're going to wait until August as not many universities are advertising yet. Apparently Exeter med made a mistake and advertised clearing! It's all a mess really:frown:

Oh no, I bet Exeters phone lines have been crazy busy already with med hopefuls!
@harrysbar it now says on York's website that they only have places for international students. Just for your information.

https://www.york.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/search?q=law&level=undergraduate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending