The Student Room Group

St George's, University of London GEM (A101) 2021 entry

Welcome to the St. George’s GEM ( A101) 2021 Entry Discussion.

For general information click:
https://www.sgul.ac.uk/study/courses/medicine-graduate-entry

For entry requirements click:
https://www.sgul.ac.uk/study/courses/medicine-graduate-entry#entry-criteria

GAMSAT:
https://gamsat.acer.org/

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys!

How has the GAMSAT gone for everyone?
Reply 2
Original post by username1567633
Hi guys!

How has the GAMSAT gone for everyone?

Haven’t sat it yet. September:smile:

how did it go for you and any tips?
Original post by Karolali
Haven’t sat it yet. September:smile:

how did it go for you and any tips?

Completely forgot about the September one 🤦🏽*♀️ Good luck!!

I found it fairly hard as I’m from a non-science background, so I’m hoping sections 1 and 2 help me through. I’ll also be doing the UCAT though. What about you? What’s your background and which other unis are you applying to?
Reply 4
Original post by larosalia
Completely forgot about the September one 🤦🏽*♀️ Good luck!!

I found it fairly hard as I’m from a non-science background, so I’m hoping sections 1 and 2 help me through. I’ll also be doing the UCAT though. What about you? What’s your background and which other unis are you applying to?

Ah. I’m not looking forward to it. So you got any tips?

Not from a science background in terms of physics, biomedical science, chemistry, biology etc.

Im looking at London, Liverpool and Nottingham. How about you ?
Hello! Congratulations to all of you with offers. Hope someone might see this on this now slightly old thread. I am hoping to apply for medicine for 2021 entry and had a few questions. I graduated in 2016 with a First in English and did a master's in 2018. I did Biology AS-Level, but that's the limit of my scientific qualifications. I believe that the universities I can apply to without the relevant A Levels are Swansea, St George's, Warwick, Southampton and Newcastle.Would be very grateful for advice on any of the following:1. Would it be better to sink the ££ and time into getting Chemistry and Biology A-Levels in order to broaden the number of Universities I can apply to?2. I was due to start volunteering at a mental health centre before lockdown hit. I might be able to plead for some work experience before applications are due in September, but I wouldn't be able to evidence longterm commitment to medicine. I could just about squeeze in the UCAT and the GAMSAT, so two questions: 1) Without a science background, do I have enough time to revise for both tests between now and September?! 2) Would it be better to send in an application as a test year, or should I wait for 2021, when I will hopefully have built up some experience etc.? I'm conscious that time is passing!3. Grateful for any wisdom from non-science grads on the impossibility or possibility of this dream! Thank you.
Reply 6
Just got my May GAMSAT results and I achieved a score of 61. This would have been enough for the cut off last year (58), but the curve has shifted to the right, so more people have scored higher. In 2015 the cut off for St Georges was 62. Should I do the GAMSAT again, or will 61 give me a good chance of getting an interview (along with other requirements)? Thanks!
Original post by cj_98
Just got my May GAMSAT results and I achieved a score of 61. This would have been enough for the cut off last year (58), but the curve has shifted to the right, so more people have scored higher. In 2015 the cut off for St Georges was 62. Should I do the GAMSAT again, or will 61 give me a good chance of getting an interview (along with other requirements)? Thanks!

It's impossible to say for certain, but I think you have a good chance. In most years it would have been enough.

There are many variables - the curve is global, and you don't know what the UK performance was. Out of UK sitters, you don't know what the distribution of SGUL applicants will be. Also many people will be applying with results from different sittings, which will not be on the curve you have. There may have been less / more people taking the march sit due to the corona virus, they may have done better / worse due to remote sitting. You just can't know for sure.
Reply 8
Original post by jzdzm
It's impossible to say for certain, but I think you have a good chance. In most years it would have been enough.

There are many variables - the curve is global, and you don't know what the UK performance was. Out of UK sitters, you don't know what the distribution of SGUL applicants will be. Also many people will be applying with results from different sittings, which will not be on the curve you have. There may have been less / more people taking the march sit due to the corona virus, they may have done better / worse due to remote sitting. You just can't know for sure.

Thanks! Yeah, pretty stressful because I want to put full focus on the ucat now, but as there is some doubt with my gamsat score, maybe I should sit it again. However, I won't be able to put full focus on the ucat and the registration for the gamsat is likely to be closed by the time I have sat my ucat if the ucat doesn't go well enough. Also the gamsat is an expensive exam, so I can't just book it just in case.
Reply 9
I'm one of those graduates applying with a 2:2. Heard confusing things about St George's, that they have in the past accepted graduates with a 2:2.

I scored 66 in the GAMSAT... worth applying?
Reply 10
Original post by naando
I'm one of those graduates applying with a 2:2. Heard confusing things about St George's, that they have in the past accepted graduates with a 2:2.

The current entry criteria for 2021 entry is 2:1 minimum. https://www.sgul.ac.uk/study/courses/medicine-graduate-entry#entry-criteria
A few years ago they were accepting 2:2s but then updated their entry criteria. If you apply, there’s a chance their system might reject you immediately for not meeting the minimum requirements. You’ll have to email to ask if there’s any leeway at all given your GAMSAT score is pretty good and above all their previous cutoffs.
Reply 11
Original post by asclepeion
The current entry criteria for 2021 entry is 2:1 minimum. https://www.sgul.ac.uk/study/courses/medicine-graduate-entry#entry-criteria
A few years ago they were accepting 2:2s but then updated their entry criteria. If you apply, there’s a chance their system might reject you immediately for not meeting the minimum requirements. You’ll have to email to ask if there’s any leeway at all given your GAMSAT score is pretty good and above all their previous cutoffs.

Thanks for that. I've been through the admissions requirements so many times that they are all starting to blur. As far as I can see there are only 3 places that will definitely consider my application (Exeter, Nottingham and Plymouth) so for my 4th choice on the UCAS application I guess I can take a chance on somewhere that might not normally consider me.
Original post by asclepeion

Hello!

I would recommend contacting the University if you have any doubts. No harm done and you might even get some clarity about further options!

Best Wishes,
MJ
4th Year MBBS
Official Uni Rep St. George's
Original post by naando

If you have a masters as well I believe you can apply (the same applies to Swansea and Warwick). If you don't have a masters, Nottingham is your only option (but you can be very confident of an interview with that score).
Reply 14
Original post by jzdzm
If you have a masters as well I believe you can apply (the same applies to Swansea and Warwick). If you don't have a masters, Nottingham is your only option (but you can be very confident of an interview with that score).

Thanks! No Masters, just my undergrad from 2006!!
Original post by naando
Thanks! No Masters, just my undergrad from 2006!!

Afraid you're out of luck on 2 counts then - for SGUL you also have to have an academic qualification in the last 5 years (doesn't have to be a degree tho, could be an A level or something). Good luck for Notts!
Hi All

I am considering applying for GEM 2021 entry, due to sit Gamsat in Sept. Currently working within the NHS as a dietitian. I've always wanted to do medicine but circumstances/confidence meant that I never applied. Having completed a 4 yr undergrad degree which included placement as well as working for a year as an RD I feel I'm in a place to give it a go. My concern is that my A levels are not strong but I completed a foundation science degree (1 year) in 2014 and got distinction. Also my age!
Reply 17
Original post by sophie2016
Hi All

I am considering applying for GEM 2021 entry, due to sit Gamsat in Sept. Currently working within the NHS as a dietitian. I've always wanted to do medicine but circumstances/confidence meant that I never applied. Having completed a 4 yr undergrad degree which included placement as well as working for a year as an RD I feel I'm in a place to give it a go. My concern is that my A levels are not strong but I completed a foundation science degree (1 year) in 2014 and got distinction. Also my age!

https://www.sgul.ac.uk/study/courses/medicine-graduate-entry#entry-criteria
St George's don't ask for any A-level requirements, just a minimum of 2:1 and your last degree must have been completed within the last 5 years.
Hi! Yes, I've seen that but was not sure if it came down to it, would they consider other education. I graduated in 2019 so that should be ok. Thanks for replying.
Original post by sophie2016
Hi! Yes, I've seen that but was not sure if it came down to it, would they consider other education. I graduated in 2019 so that should be ok. Thanks for replying.

Hello!

I would recommend emailing St. George's! Not only will it give you a bit of peace of mind but also they will be able to advise you on anything else they may require (or not!). I think it's great you are wanting to pursue Medicine! Good luck and hope it all works out for the best.

Best Wishes,
MJ
4th Year MBBS
Official Uni Rep St. George's

Latest

Trending

Trending