The Student Room Group

Prestigious French universities?

What are the prestigious French universities that everyone around the world knows about?
Like in England everyone knows Oxbridge, Durham, UCL etc.
What's the French version of this?
Reply 1
Bump
Original post by Anonymous
Bump

You're right that many people in England know about Oxbridge, Durham and UCL. But globally, Oxbridge is the only brand which 'everyone around the world knows about'.

Similarly in France, there are universities which the French public know about to be top tier. These include Sciences Po, Ecole Poly, HEC Paris, INSEAD, the Sorbonne, Paris School of Econ, ENS, TSE and a few others.

Indeed, LSE was modelled on Sciences Po on its foundation, but these days LSE is more famous internationally.

But their global brands are relatively unknown to the general person, if that's who you're trying to impress. I'd say the Sorbonne is the most famous because it's mentioned most in films like Spectre (James Bond), Midnight in Paris and Inception.
(edited 3 years ago)
There aren't any that someone over in another country would be familiar with, similar to ones in germany/italy/sweden/switzerland. Oxbridge is the only one people from other countries would know similar to Harvard or MIT. This is due to language barriers probably...
Reply 4
There's also the Université Paris-Sud and EPFL which is in the French-speaking part of Switzerland, but their focus is mainly STEM
Reply 5
Original post by Diplomatic
You're right that many people in England know about Oxbridge, Durham and UCL. But globally, Oxbridge is the only brand which 'everyone around the world knows about'.

Similarly in France, there are universities which the French public know about to be top tier. These include Sciences Po, Ecole Poly, HEC Paris, INSEAD, the Sorbonne, Paris School of Econ, ENS, TSE and a few others.

Indeed, LSE was modelled on Sciences Po on its foundation, but these days LSE is more famous internationally.

But their global brands are relatively unknown to the general person, if that's who you're trying to impress. I'd say the Sorbonne is the most famous because it's mentioned most in films like Spectre (James Bond), Midnight in Paris and Inception.

Thank you for this response it was so detailed! Long story short I'm considering a university in France but I want to live in the US or the UK and I want my degree to be from a recognised university. I've also heard that the Sorbonne is the most famous.
Also are you from France? You know a lot about their universities anyhow.
Reply 6
Original post by astayuno
There aren't any that someone over in another country would be familiar with, similar to ones in germany/italy/sweden/switzerland. Oxbridge is the only one people from other countries would know similar to Harvard or MIT. This is due to language barriers probably...

Oh yeah that language barrier thing makes sense. Thank you :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Sinnoh
There's also the Université Paris-Sud and EPFL which is in the French-speaking part of Switzerland, but their focus is mainly STEM

Oh okay I'll check these out thank you so much!
Reply 8
Oh okay I'll check these out thank you so much!

So are you planning on doing a STEM-related course then?
Reply 9
Original post by Sinnoh
So are you planning on doing a STEM-related course then?

No I'm not but you said 'mainly' so I imagine they offer other courses to? Or am I wrong ahah
Thank you for this response it was so detailed! Long story short I'm considering a university in France but I want to live in the US or the UK and I want my degree to be from a recognised university. I've also heard that the Sorbonne is the most famous.
Also are you from France? You know a lot about their universities anyhow.

Recruiters at any international company will know them. Smaller firms in the UK/US will be less familiar, but that's not necessarily a bad thing - as long as your CV/resume highlights the required skills, you'll be fine. Sciences Po (if you want to study social sciences) is probably the best because there's a mandatory year abroad that you can spend in the UK/US which means there'll at least be a uni on your CV that employers in those countries are more likely to have heard of.

What's more important is that you meet the citizenship requirements of the UK/US or apply to firms that are willing to sponsor your visa. This is harder if you go to a school in France instead of the UK/US because these countries offer a grace period which allows you to job hunt in the country after graduation if you went to one of their domestic universities.

Not from France, just familiar with their universities and the job market.
The Sorbonne, INSEAD
Original post by Diplomatic
Recruiters at any international company will know them. Smaller firms in the UK/US will be less familiar, but that's not necessarily a bad thing - as long as your CV/resume highlights the required skills, you'll be fine. Sciences Po (if you want to study social sciences) is probably the best because there's a mandatory year abroad that you can spend in the UK/US which means there'll at least be a uni on your CV that employers in those countries are more likely to have heard of.

What's more important is that you meet the citizenship requirements of the UK/US or apply to firms that are willing to sponsor your visa. This is harder if you go to a school in France instead of the UK/US because these countries offer a grace period which allows you to job hunt in the country after graduation if you went to one of their domestic universities.

Not from France, just familiar with their universities and the job market.

Wow this is such helpful information thanks!
I was considering going to Sciences Po and doing the double degree with Columbia or Berkley.
And I'll look into the whole visa sponsor thing :smile:
And ah okay you're really knowledgeable in this topic.
Original post by mnot
The Sorbonne, INSEAD

thank you!
Reply 14
No I'm not but you said 'mainly' so I imagine they offer other courses to? Or am I wrong ahah

I don't think EPFL do since the P is for Polytechnique
(edited 3 years ago)
Times Top 100 Universities...
The Sorbonne
Original post by Sinnoh
I don't think EPFL do since the P is for Polytechnique

Ah ok ahah thanks anyway!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending