The Student Room Group

GCSEs Advice needed

Hey Guys!!
Sooo my school isn't offering much GCSE courses, due to the lack of teachers.
And I was wondering if any of you know any GCSE subjects that are easy enough to self study.
I'm aiming to hopefully get 8s & 9s, aka A & A*.
So yeah if you know any GCSE subjects that are easy and interesting to self-study, please let me in on them.
Thank You! :smile:
(Ps; my school offers the basic scientific subjects, Maths and 2 languages.. Which can be pretty boring so if any of you maybe have some fun subjects that'd be really cool)

Scroll to see replies

it really depends on your strengths. my school had a fairly limited selection (about 6 optional subjects). I can only really speak for humanities but Art and similar subjects can be done self study, if you find it interesting then things like history could be good too. how many are you doing at the moment?
Reply 2
How many GCSEs are you taking? 8 is ample.

It's almost impossible to take any subjects with non-examination assessment (aka coursework) if you've self studied, so anything to do with Art or DT isn't an option. You could consider Economics, Psychology, RE, Sociology, History or Business Studies
Reply 3
Original post by Omgcobbly
it really depends on your strengths. my school had a fairly limited selection (about 6 optional subjects). I can only really speak for humanities but Art and similar subjects can be done self study, if you find it interesting then things like history could be good too. how many are you doing at the moment?

Oh Ok thx ! I'm doing 6 at the moment. The ones that I mentioned in the post.
Reply 4
Original post by Compost
How many GCSEs are you taking? 8 is ample.

It's almost impossible to take any subjects with non-examination assessment (aka coursework) if you've self studied, so anything to do with Art or DT isn't an option. You could consider Economics, Psychology, RE, Sociology, History or Business Studies

Thanks!! The school is offering 6 and I felt like that wasn't enough at all. As you said 8 is ample so that's why I'm looking to self study 2 or 3 more subjects.
Thx again.
If you're not already studying English (both literature and language) these are requirements for a lot of college and university courses, and even jobs, so you will almost definitely need to take these as well. Aside from this, AQA Geography is probably simple enough to teach yourself, and the textbooks give you all the information you need to know. I'm not sure how you would go about the fieldwork aspect but I'm sure the exam board could offer you some guidance on this!
Reply 6
Original post by apolaroidofus
If you're not already studying English (both literature and language) these are requirements for a lot of college and university courses, and even jobs, so you will almost definitely need to take these as well. Aside from this, AQA Geography is probably simple enough to teach yourself, and the textbooks give you all the information you need to know. I'm not sure how you would go about the fieldwork aspect but I'm sure the exam board could offer you some guidance on this!

Thanks! I am taking English language but not English Literature... Is that fine or is it preferable to take it?
Original post by ItzLexiii
Thanks! I am taking English language but not English Literature... Is that fine or is it preferable to take it?

I don't think it's essential but if you're smart enough it'll look weird not to have it (though English lang is the more important GCSE to have). Would you have to self-teach, and when would you be sitting GCSEs? If you would be self-teaching and you chose the same texts as me, I could send you my notes (but I'm waiting till next year since I don't want them to get out as my ideas would no longer be original if everyone was using them... seems silly but with the pandemic, I'm taking no risks!) which contain analysis and context for key quotes.

Have a research into some of the colleges/jobs you're interested in and see if they require it :smile:
Hey Guys!!
And I was wondering if any of you know any GCSE subjects that are easy enough to self study.
So yeah if you know any GCSE subjects that are easy and interesting to self-study, please let me in on them.
(Ps; my school offers the basic scientific subjects, Maths and 2 languages.. Which can be pretty boring so if any of you maybe have some fun subjects that'd be really cool)

Hi @ItzLexiii!

I recommend having a look at humanities such as classics, RS, Geography etc. Classics and RS were definitely my favourite GCSEs!

Erin - Official Student Rep :smile:
Hey Guys!!

I would say maybe Latin and do the OCR board and use the John Taylor Latin to GCSE books. r.s. is also quite an easy one to learn but yeah
Reply 10
Original post by apolaroidofus
I don't think it's essential but if you're smart enough it'll look weird not to have it (though English lang is the more important GCSE to have). Would you have to self-teach, and when would you be sitting GCSEs? If you would be self-teaching and you chose the same texts as me, I could send you my notes (but I'm waiting till next year since I don't want them to get out as my ideas would no longer be original if everyone was using them... seems silly but with the pandemic, I'm taking no risks!) which contain analysis and context for key quotes.

Have a research into some of the colleges/jobs you're interested in and see if they require it :smile:

Thank you so much!! Idk when I'll be sitting GCSEs yet but yeah I will have to self teach.
Again thank you so much for your help and advice :biggrin:
(Ps; About the notes it's Ok, you can send them whenever or just don't if you don't feel comfortable I understand).
Reply 11
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi @ItzLexiii!

I recommend having a look at humanities such as classics, RS, Geography etc. Classics and RS were definitely my favourite GCSEs!

Erin - Official Student Rep :smile:

Thank you!! :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by isobeln
I would say maybe Latin and do the OCR board and use the John Taylor Latin to GCSE books. r.s. is also quite an easy one to learn but yeah

Thanks!! Sounds cool!
Hey Guys!!

Do geography
National enterprise and marketing easy to get a D2* and it looks bomb on a certificate
NCFE health and fitness east to get distinction too = extra qualification and versatility between gcses and BTEC/NCFE courses universities are looking for
Don’t be one them ppl btw who just wants GCSEs unis admire them courses with coursework too , if they didnt half the U.K. would not be in uni
Thanks!! The school is offering 6 and I felt like that wasn't enough at all. As you said 8 is ample so that's why I'm looking to self study 2 or 3 more subjects.
Thx again.

This would not be a full timetable - what optional subjects is the school offering? No school will only offer 6 as it would get very low Performance table data and attract an Ofsed inspection!
Original post by Alina2019

Don’t be one them ppl btw who just wants GCSEs unis admire them courses with coursework too , if they didnt half the U.K. would not be in uni

It is almost impossible to study courses with coursework as a private candidate so these are not good options for the OP
Reply 16
Original post by Alina2019
Do geography
National enterprise and marketing easy to get a D2* and it looks bomb on a certificate
NCFE health and fitness east to get distinction too = extra qualification and versatility between gcses and BTEC/NCFE courses universities are looking for

Will look into it! Thanks!!
Reply 17
Original post by Muttley79
This would not be a full timetable - what optional subjects is the school offering? No school will only offer 6 as it would get very low Performance table data and attract an Ofsed inspection!

I'm an international student living in a small town attending a very- let's say not so advanced/sophisticated private school. They just recently (aka this year) added the option to be able to study GCSEs instead of the local General Secondary Education Certificate Examination that almost everyone in town is used to taking, and they haven't looked into it at all and barley know anything about GCSEs/A levels.
They are literally forcing everyone to take the exact same six GCSE subjects and the exact same [FOUR] A levels..
That's why I'm trying to study more GCSEs in order to complete my timetable and make the most out of it to hopefully be able to study abroad :smile:
Hope I was able to explain my situation well enough and if you have any advice please let me know! Thx.
Reply 18
Original post by Compost
It is almost impossible to study courses with coursework as a private candidate so these are not good options for the OP

Oh Ok, good to know!
I'm an international student living in a small town attending a very- let's say not so advanced/sophisticated private school. They just recently (aka this year) added the option to be able to study GCSEs instead of the local General Secondary Education Certificate Examination that almost everyone in town is used to taking, and they haven't looked into it at all and barley know anything about GCSEs/A levels.
They are literally forcing everyone to take the exact same six GCSE subjects and the exact same [FOUR] A levels..
That's why I'm trying to study more GCSEs in order to complete my timetable and make the most out of it to hopefully be able to study abroad :smile:
Hope I was able to explain my situation well enough and if you have any advice please let me know! Thx.

Ah, I understand now:smile:

Have you any idea what you might want to study in future?

Pick something without coursework that you'll enjoy

Quick Reply

Latest