The Student Room Group

Why is Nicola Sturgeon critising everything Boris does to do with the guidelines...

... when Scotland tends to just end up doing the same thing, just sometimes a few days later?

Most of the changes to the guidelines in England have been criticised as being reckless by Nicola Sturgeon, but she then ends up announcing the same thing a few days afterwards the vast majority of the time.

Does she think we are stupid and won't notice the fact she is copying Boris with most of the guidelines (with a few exceptions e.g. face masks in shops, the 5-mile limit to travel) even though she constantly complains about his changes?

Scroll to see replies

all political careers end in failure, Mrs Sturgeon is trying to outlast Mr Johnson, he of the “too late in - too early out” & “herd immunity strategy” which killed more people, excess deaths, than ‘needed‘

There were secret guidelines as to ‘how to do pandemics’ but....

It’ll take about a year, at least, to see which approach was right
Reply 2
Her job really...
Original post by Lightning720
... when Scotland tends to just end up doing the same thing, just sometimes a few days later?

Most of the changes to the guidelines in England have been criticised as being reckless by Nicola Sturgeon, but she then ends up announcing the same thing a few days afterwards the vast majority of the time.

Does she think we are stupid and won't notice the fact she is copying Boris with most of the guidelines (with a few exceptions e.g. face masks in shops, the 5-mile limit to travel) even though she constantly complains about his change

All she wants is another Independence referendum.
Although I consider the best argument against Scottish independence to be the SNP, look at the infection rates in Scotland and compare them to England. Only 3/4 of that in England, despite the population concentration in the central belt.
Original post by barnetlad
Although I consider the best argument against Scottish independence to be the SNP, look at the infection rates in Scotland and compare them to England. Only 3/4 of that in England, despite the population concentration in the central belt.

The Union must be preserved!
Reply 6

The considerably lower level of testing and the less internationalised nature of central belt cities is probably more to do with that than anything the Scottish Government have done. I mean, I'm not really sure what they're supposed to have down that would actually lower infection.

OP: The reason she does it is that she does it with everything Boris Johnson does. She's just a politician, and not even an interesting one.
I'm not sure how the media are reporting things down there but, we have not been able to do the things Boris is talking about "a few days later". Until very recently we have been in major lockdown mode whilst people in England have been encouraged to go back to work, to use public transport where they can (even though the transport system in London is heaving with people compared to here), to "stay alert" as opposed to stay the heck back from people.

After Boris announces next steps, it raises questions for Scotland and Sturgeon has had to comment on when those actions are to be taken in Scotland. Perhaps that why people think she is doing things just a few days after the UK. But actually most of the stuff isn't taking effect until after our death rate (not r number) has reached almost zero. Her decisions have ranged from (i) absolutely no way are we doing it that way (ii) it's too soon for that (iii) i don't even understand what that means. Currently we are unable to go into restaurants or pubs. The two metre rule still stands. All public transport workers and users (including taxis) must use masks. Masks are compulsory in shops from tomorrow. Those who aren't shielding can only now create a bubble. Those who are sheilding can now leave their house for walks.

If you venture onto Sturgeons facebook page (get it first hand!) she directly communicates with Scottish people. The comments are overwhelmingly positive - not just from Scots....lot's of English people too. I know many anti-independence voters (who love to criticise SNP any chance they can) who are saying she hasn't put a foot wrong and how impressed they have been. Meanwhile so many comments from all over the world saying they regret she isn't making these decisions for the whole UK.

Like someone says, the rates of infection for down south is so much worse - if you were to compare like for like decisons on that basis Sturgeon is being super cautious.
(edited 3 years ago)
She is probably jealous because she isn't the PM.

Does she think we are stupid and won't notice the fact she is copying Boris with most of the guidelines (with a few exceptions e.g. face masks in shops, the 5-mile limit to travel) even though she constantly complains about his changes?

Scotland is about one week behind England. I STRONGLY dislike Nicola, but she’s following the science

Despite being English I totally agree with Sturgeon! It all goes back to Brexit Scotland largely voted remain but is being torn out of the EU with a very uncompromising hard-no deal Brexit.

With Covid, Boris has been downright incompetent and irresponsible. I mean who the hell would end a lockdown on a summer Saturday with a free for all while a deadly contagious virus is still active??? You can’t blame Nicola for wanting to protect the Scottish people.

My hope is Scotland gets full independence, rejoins the EU and prospers all while Boris has a tantrum next to his now broken toy box thats not even his and will be missing a large portion of it!

But then I’m just a stupid remoaner lol.
Reply 11
Original post by Ambitious1999
Despite being English I totally agree with Sturgeon! It all goes back to Brexit Scotland largely voted remain but is being torn out of the EU with a very uncompromising hard-no deal Brexit.

Except, of course, Scotland participated in a referendum that had pre-defined rules. Those of us who voted Remain accepted that there was a point in holding the referendum: that Leave winning would actually mean that the UK left.

With Covid, Boris has been downright incompetent and irresponsible. I mean who the hell would end a lockdown on a summer Saturday with a free for all while a deadly contagious virus is still active??? You can’t blame Nicola for wanting to protect the Scottish people.

"Lockdown" is a gradual process which is being eased in phases. People will still go to the pub, whether it be a Monday or a Saturday - and Saturday is only ever a few days away.

Can we also consider the impact this is having on Scotland's economy? It is likely to hit the country harder as a result of these choices and see more people lose their livelihoods. I know there's the "we're talking about lives" argument - but that's obviously not the case, as we manage risk in our societies every day.

My hope is Scotland gets full independence, rejoins the EU and prospers all while Boris has a tantrum next to his now broken toy box thats not even his and will be missing a large portion of it!

Yes, nothing like leaving a union that you are a net recipient from (to the tune of billions of pounds a year) to join one you'd be a net contributor to - or leaving a union that you do four times more trade with to join one that you do less with.

Sounds like a real recipe for prosperity.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Gundabad(good)
All she wants is another Independence referendum.

And if she achieved that, I'd put a sizeable amount of Scotland voting to become independent.
Original post by Ambitious1999

Mr Johnson's incompetence is criminal in my opinion. I support Scottish independence but know that Indyref 2 is a long way off.

Scotland is about one-tenth of the English population. Much less than 10% of the number of deaths, in fact about 1,500 fewer proportionally. Despite the level of obesity, smoking, drinking and other risk factors in Scotland.
Reply 15
Mr Johnson's incompetence is criminal in my opinion. I support Scottish independence but know that Indyref 2 is a long way off.

Scotland is about one-tenth of the English population. Much less than 10% of the number of deaths, in fact about 1,500 fewer proportionally. Despite the level of obesity, smoking, drinking and other risk factors in Scotland.

There are, of course, other matters at play: Scotland is less internationalised than London and the South East, Scotland doesn't have sizeable immigrant communities, Scotland is more sparsely populated.

Equally, as with any health statistics, Scotland and England aren't directly comparable. This clearly matters hugely in terms of comparing Covid-19 deaths internationally - but even within the UK, it's virtually impossible to get reliable, comparative figures on anything.
Original post by L i b
There are, of course, other matters at play: Scotland is less internationalised than London and the South East, Scotland doesn't have sizeable immigrant communities, Scotland is more sparsely populated.

Equally, as with any health statistics, Scotland and England aren't directly comparable. This clearly matters hugely in terms of comparing Covid-19 deaths internationally - but even within the UK, it's virtually impossible to get reliable, comparative figures on anything.

17% of Scotland’s population is rural compared with 20.7% England
Original post by L i b

Yes it does. They just mostly concentrated in the West Central Scotland.

Glasgow has the highest number of asylum seekers than any other council area in the UK. It has more than the South East of England combined. There is also an not insignificant Eastern European community.

Glasgow's more established minority communities (Asian, Pakistani and Chinese) are often concentrated e.g. Pollokshields, Cessnock, Cowcaddens etc. These inner Glasgow areas are made up of mostly rows upon rows of tenements (not ideal for dealing with covid). There are lower percentages of minority communities in Greater Glasgow where the housing is better quality and there is more space. But unlike London, minorities are not as concentrated in the lower socioeconomic areas e.g. the Pakistani community in affluent Cathcart suburb and surrounding areas.

The total number of "non-white" Scots in both Glasgow and Scotland as a whole rose four-fold between 1991 and 2011. It is expected to keep on trend, with 20% of Glasgows adult population belonging to a non-white minority group, and 25% of children under 16, by 2031.

Wikipedia percentage stats don't paint the full picture.
(edited 3 years ago)
I think the most important issue in realtion to this debate is in comparison to Scotland, England with it's higher population and more ethnically diverse population...is being led into a faster lifting of lockdown measures than Scotland. And we up here are happy with the pace, while most down south are unhappy. Therefore shouldn't the thread ask, "Why does Boris undermine Nicola Sturgeon's approach to saving lives by announcing lifting of safety measures in press conferences without consultation with devolved governments?"
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Question??
Yes it does. They just mostly concentrated in the West Central Scotland.

Glasgow has the highest number of asylum seekers than any other council area in the UK. It has more than the South East of England combined. There is also an not insignificant Eastern European community.

I did not say Scotland didn't have immigrant communities, simply that they were not sizeable (comparative to London and to the north of England).

Glasgow's more established minority communities (Asian, Pakistani and Chinese) are often concentrated e.g. Pollokshields, Cessnock, Cowcaddens etc. These inner Glasgow areas are made up of mostly rows upon rows of tenements (not ideal for dealing with covid).

Tenements are rather better than the sort of housing options many especially recent immigrants find themselves in in Greater London. Overcrowding among these communities is at a rate unknown anywhere else in the UK, often to the point of illegality.

The total number of "non-white" Scots in both Glasgow and Scotland as a whole rose four-fold between 1991 and 2011. It is expected to keep on trend, with 20% of Glasgows adult population belonging to a non-white minority group, and 25% of children under 16, by 2031.

Wikipedia percentage stats don't paint the full picture.

True enough, but a projection for 11 years time doesn't really provide much useful data on the transmission of a virus now.

Quick Reply

Latest