The Student Room Group

Biology or Physics?

I’m contemplating whether to choose Bio or Physics as a GCSE. I find Biology interesting and easier for me, I’ve also been doing it for a long time and I’m more familiar with this area of Science, But If I take Biology it usual leads to a career in the medical field and I’m positive that I don’t want to take up a career in that field and so biology won’t be useful to me at all. Although Physics is more beneficial and advantageous in the future and taking it up will lead to a variety of career options but I’m not interested at all and it’s gonna be harder for me as it does not seem easy, the Topics included in physics don’t strike up an interest for me and I haven’t been doing it for that long so please help me decide and make a decision as I’m a very undecisive person that can’t decide for my life.

Scroll to see replies

a career in biology doesn't always lead to a career in the medical field, and studying it at GCSE level is very interesting and not hard to wrap your head around. unless you plan on doing physics at A-level, I would say go with the one you find the most interesting. hope this helps.
I suggest picking your GCSE options based on what you like (that's what I did), if you know you'll never grow to like physics you most likely won't do well in it at A-level. But imo (if the workload is probable for you) if you know you want a career in STEM do all three.
Reply 3
Original post by Catlady5656
a career in biology doesn't always lead to a career in the medical field, and studying it at GCSE level is very interesting and not hard to wrap your head around. unless you plan on doing physics at A-level, I would say go with the one you find the most interesting. hope this helps.

You’ve got a good point, Although ur advice is genuinely really helpful I have to say majority of the time taking up biology leads to a medical career or something body related. How is Biology gonna be useful in Any another way?
Original post by MaryZzz
You’ve got a good point, Although ur advice is genuinely really helpful I have to say majority of the time taking up biology leads to a medical career or something body related. How is Biology gonna be useful in Any another way?

biology overall can compliment almost any other subject, I have a friend that took biology and english language and shes applied to do law. It also gives you background knowledge which I have used in psychology a level. but as I said it's a gcse, therefore do what you feel you are more interested in.
Reply 5
i thought you have to take both at gcse
Original post by aw03
i thought you have to take both at gcse

Many schools dont require you to take both and the option lies in the student's hand. They can take all 3 sciences or 2 or even 1.
I think you seem to prefer biology so I would say that would be the better choice for you, however I hated physics until year 10 and now I want to do it at uni so if I hadn’t done it at gcse I wouldn’t be able to do this so I’m really not sure what to recommend, have a look through the specifications and see what seems interesting, biology does not always lead to medicine, especially not at gcse level. Is there anyway you can do both?
Original post by whateverrr123
Many schools dont require you to take both and the option lies in the student's hand. They can take all 3 sciences or 2 or even 1.

That's fairly unusual in the UK to my knowledge. Most schools seem to typically require their students to do either combined science (the double award, where you study all three sciences but get 2 GCSEs) or each science individually (usually called "triple science" as you get 3 GCSEs). You may find some degrees (I believe there are a couple of medicine/dentistry courses that expect it?) might expect you to have undertaken at least combined science or equivalent at GCSE (i.e. to have done some work in all three sciences), and so only having done one or two individual sciences may be limiting. It would also obviously limit your options at A-level.

If you aren't sure about science options I'd suggest taking combined science (double award). If you are confident in science and enjoy it a lot then it may be worth considering taking all three single awards (although this isn't necessary to continue to an A-level in any individual science normally; you just will cover some of the AS level material a bit earlier plus some other topics). I wouldn't really recommend taking one or two of the individual awards only...
Reply 9
Original post by Emily~3695
I think you seem to prefer biology so I would say that would be the better choice for you, however I hated physics until year 10 and now I want to do it at uni so if I hadn’t done it at gcse I wouldn’t be able to do this so I’m really not sure what to recommend, have a look through the specifications and see what seems interesting, biology does not always lead to medicine, especially not at gcse level. Is there anyway you can do both?

So me and @whatever123 have been talking about this for days. We have done a bit of research regarding the careers biology lead to and it always include medical/scientific or body related things. I had a look at the specifications and physics does not interest me at all whereas biology does but at the same time it will be no use to me in the future.

I dont think I'm gonna go into a science field at all so I dont really see a point in taking both. But I've been thinking and I've heard people say that 2 science GCSEs are helpful for wider career options. Is that true? And why do you recommend taking 2 GCSEs?
And also, taking both means I will need to drop one of my other GCSEs: Sociology, history, French, economics (+ english and math which are compulsory) We can only choose 5 GCSEs of our own choice, so.
Thank you for though replying it really helps
Reply 11

So me and @whatever123 have been talking about this for days. We have done a bit of research regarding the careers biology lead to and it always include medical/scientific or body related things. I had a look at the specifications and physics does not interest me at all whereas biology does but at the same time it will be no use to me in the future.

Original post by artful_lounger
That's fairly unusual in the UK to my knowledge. Most schools seem to typically require their students to do either combined science (the double award, where you study all three sciences but get 2 GCSEs) or each science individually (usually called "triple science" as you get 3 GCSEs). You may find some degrees (I believe there are a couple of medicine/dentistry courses that expect it?) might expect you to have undertaken at least combined science or equivalent at GCSE (i.e. to have done some work in all three sciences), and so only having done one or two individual sciences may be limiting. It would also obviously limit your options at A-level.

If you aren't sure about science options I'd suggest taking combined science (double award). If you are confident in science and enjoy it a lot then it may be worth considering taking all three single awards (although this isn't necessary to continue to an A-level in any individual science normally; you just will cover some of the AS level material a bit earlier plus some other topics). I wouldn't really recommend taking one or two of the individual awards only...

So we don’t live in the UK, And our school allows us to take as many sciences as we want minimum being one GCSE. Why don’t u recommend taking one science and as I said I’m not interested in the science field and don’t see myself doing anything related to that certain area and so I don’t think 2 sciences would benefit me in the future. My main goal while taking my GCSEs is to keep a wide range option and giving myself a variety of choices for the future and not restricting myself, So if you think 2 sciences would benefit me, why do you think so?
Original post by MaryZzz
I’m contemplating whether to choose Bio or Physics as a GCSE. I find Biology interesting and easier for me, I’ve also been doing it for a long time and I’m more familiar with this area of Science, But If I take Biology it usual leads to a career in the medical field and I’m positive that I don’t want to take up a career in that field and so biology won’t be useful to me at all. Although Physics is more beneficial and advantageous in the future and taking it up will lead to a variety of career options but I’m not interested at all and it’s gonna be harder for me as it does not seem easy, the Topics included in physics don’t strike up an interest for me and I haven’t been doing it for that long so please help me decide and make a decision as I’m a very undecisive person that can’t decide for my life.

I had to do all sciences?? If I was to pick, I think Biology is the easiest but physics is fascinating, however required more work for me :smile:
Biology leads a LOT more places than a medical field too, please don’t assume that’s the case. Biology can take you all kinds of places. I’m taking it for A level as I want to be a researcher in entomology or palaeontology :h:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Moonbow
I had to do all sciences?? If I was to pick, I think Biology is the easiest but physics is fascinating, however required more work for me :smile:
Biology leads a LOT more places than a medical field too, please don’t assume that’s the case. Biology can take you all kinds of places. I’m taking it for A level as I want to be a researcher in entomology or palaeontology :h:

Everyone's saying that biology doesn't necessarily lead to careers in medical or science field. Can you list or give me an idea of other fields it help in?
Thank you by the way, I really appreciate you taking your time to answer indecisive me.
Everyone's saying that biology doesn't necessarily lead to careers in medical or science field. Can you list or give me an idea of other fields it help in?
Thank you by the way, I really appreciate you taking your time to answer indecisive me.

There’s loads of examples eg.
Marine biology
Conservation and ecology
Zoologist
Plant science/botany
Researcher etc
There’s loads of other options but tbh at gcse it doesn’t really matter what subjects u do as long as u get good grades :smile:
Original post by MaryZzz

So we don’t live in the UK, And our school allows us to take as many sciences as we want minimum being one GCSE. Why don’t u recommend taking one science and as I said I’m not interested in the science field and don’t see myself doing anything related to that certain area and so I don’t think 2 sciences would benefit me in the future. My main goal while taking my GCSEs is to keep a wide range option and giving myself a variety of choices for the future and not restricting myself, So if you think 2 sciences would benefit me, why do you think so?

I would probably recommend then doing the combined science double award, if it's available, just as then your background will more or less match that of UK students, so you can be assured you are likely to meet any requirements of UK universities, if that is your goal, regardless of what subject you may eventually end up applying for. Most UK students will take a range of GCSEs including some, if not many, unrelated to what they eventually study at degree level, as the point of GCSEs tends to be a bit more focused on covering a broad array of areas to develop a range of transferable skills that are useful in any academic subject area (or professional environment), while also maximising the student's potential options for A-level subjects. You may well find after you start your GCSEs certain subjects you liked before you like less, while some subjects you didn't like before you start to like more.
Reply 16

is this the uk? that’s really weird lmao i thought it was compulsory all over the uk to take all three
Original post by aw03
is this the uk? that’s really weird lmao i thought it was compulsory all over the uk to take all three

no we dont live in the uk but study in a british curriculum school.
Original post by MaryZzz

Hi @MaryZzz!

Biology might not always lead to careers in the medical field. For example it could lead to careers in marine biology, veterinary studies, careers in plants, and so much more! If you enjoy biology then definitely take that as there is no point taking something you don't enjoy :smile:

Erin - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 19
no we dont live in the uk but study in a british curriculum school.

ohhh okay. i would say that if you can, take all three sciences. it looks better having them all up to gcse level as most people who study on the british curriculum do.

Quick Reply

Latest