The Student Room Group

A levels

Hi, I’m looking into a level options/combinations again. I’m not really sure what I want to study or do in the future. But at GCSE I quite enjoyed business studies and was wondering which one of these options is strongest.
1) Business, Maths, Economics, Further maths
2) Maths, Economics, Politics, Further maths
3) Maths, Economics, Politics

I’m also quite scared of doing further maths, is it really that difficult or do most people exaggerate how hard it is? And what GCSE grade do you think I should aim for in Maths in order to not struggle in further maths? And I’m not really sure if I’d enjoy politics - so if anyone has any knowledge of it please let me know!! Or if you have any other suggestions that would go in well in place of politics.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by aesamira
Hi, I’m looking into a level options/combinations again. I’m not really sure what I want to study or do in the future. But at GCSE I quite enjoyed business studies and was wondering which one of these options is strongest.
1) Business, Maths, Economics, Further maths
2) Maths, Economics, Politics, Further maths
3) Maths, Economics, Politics

I’m also quite scared of doing further maths, is it really that difficult or do most people exaggerate how hard it is? And what GCSE grade do you think I should aim for in Maths in order to not struggle in further maths? And I’m not really sure if I’d enjoy politics - so if anyone has any knowledge of it please let me know!! Or if you have any other suggestions that would go in well in place of politics.

Thank you :smile:

maths,economics,politics,further maths is definitely the strongest. But you don't have to do further maths, obviously it depends on the type of degree you want, but people definitely don't exaggerate about how hard a level maths is. definitely don't pick business, I loved it at GCSE too but it's seen as a 'soft' subject and is way too similar to economics, unis don't like when you take them together. economics is seen as a harder, more respected version of economics with less case studies and more curves and graphs. I didn't think I'd enjoy politics either because I'm not political at all, but I really enjoy it. Only problem with your combinations and mine is that they are very narrow, which could be a good thing or a bad thing. if I'm not in the mood for one of my subjects, it means in not in the mood for any of them because they're all so similar. a suggestion to replace politics is history, similarly to the business/economics situation. History and politics are compared to eachother a lot and history is seen as better. I'm taking both because that isn't frowned upon and they are very different. But because you're doing maths maybe you should stay with politics instead of history as maths and history are very very hard subjects at A level
Original post by maddiethorp
maths,economics,politics,further maths is definitely the strongest. But you don't have to do further maths, obviously it depends on the type of degree you want, but people definitely don't exaggerate about how hard a level maths is. definitely don't pick business, I loved it at GCSE too but it's seen as a 'soft' subject and is way too similar to economics, unis don't like when you take them together. economics is seen as a harder, more respected version of economics with less case studies and more curves and graphs. I didn't think I'd enjoy politics either because I'm not political at all, but I really enjoy it. Only problem with your combinations and mine is that they are very narrow, which could be a good thing or a bad thing. if I'm not in the mood for one of my subjects, it means in not in the mood for any of them because they're all so similar. a suggestion to replace politics is history, similarly to the business/economics situation. History and politics are compared to eachother a lot and history is seen as better. I'm taking both because that isn't frowned upon and they are very different. But because you're doing maths maybe you should stay with politics instead of history as maths and history are very very hard subjects at A level

*economics is seen as a harder, more respected version of business
Reply 3

Thank you so much for the reply! I also think that it’s the strongest combinations, I was considering taking Maths, economics and further maths but it seems a bit risky to me because if I struggled with further maths, I wouldn’t be able to drop it, but if I do maths, economics, politics and further maths, and I find further maths too difficult I could just drop it later on and still have three a levels. I’m mostly worried about doing further maths because everyone I know says it’s really hard - but they’ve never done it before. People on TSR mostly say it’s difficult unless your really good at maths but I’m not sure how I’d cope. I’d say I’m quite average at maths and I quite like it. I don’t really know, do you think I should take further maths or just take 3 a levels instead?
Thank you so much for the reply! I also think that it’s the strongest combinations, I was considering taking Maths, economics and further maths but it seems a bit risky to me because if I struggled with further maths, I wouldn’t be able to drop it, but if I do maths, economics, politics and further maths, and I find further maths too difficult I could just drop it later on and still have three a levels. I’m mostly worried about doing further maths because everyone I know says it’s really hard - but they’ve never done it before. People on TSR mostly say it’s difficult unless your really good at maths but I’m not sure how I’d cope. I’d say I’m quite average at maths and I quite like it. I don’t really know, do you think I should take further maths or just take 3 a levels instead?

to be safe, I'd say take maths, economics and politics. mostly because you might end up wanting to do like a politics or totally different degree and then you've done further maths and stressed yourself out a lot when you don't even need further maths for your degree. It's not like you'd be at a disadvantage if you don't take further maths because your combination without further maths is still a really strong combination. I was really good at maths in GCSE, I tried a level maths for a short time and it absolutely confused me like I had no clue what it was talking about, but you're probably better than me. if you want to take further maths and then drop it, I guess it's better because you have the possibility of gaining an extra A level, but if you focus on further maths in year 12 and it gets you behind on your other subjects, and then you drop it, all that work could seem pointless
Reply 5
to be safe, I'd say take maths, economics and politics. mostly because you might end up wanting to do like a politics or totally different degree and then you've done further maths and stressed yourself out a lot when you don't even need further maths for your degree. It's not like you'd be at a disadvantage if you don't take further maths because your combination without further maths is still a really strong combination. I was really good at maths in GCSE, I tried a level maths for a short time and it absolutely confused me like I had no clue what it was talking about, but you're probably better than me. if you want to take further maths and then drop it, I guess it's better because you have the possibility of gaining an extra A level, but if you focus on further maths in year 12 and it gets you behind on your other subjects, and then you drop it, all that work could seem pointless

Yeah I agree with you, I think the chances of me dropping Further maths is quite high - and getting a decent grade low. So I’m leaning more towards doing three now. Thanks so much for your helps and advice, it’s really helpful! 🥺<3
Yeah I agree with you, I think the chances of me dropping Further maths is quite high - and getting a decent grade low. So I’m leaning more towards doing three now. Thanks so much for your helps and advice, it’s really helpful! 🥺<3

no problem x

Quick Reply

Latest