The Student Room Group

Is neuroscience hard?

Im thinking of doing neuroscience as a degree, however, my a levels are in biology, psychology, philosophy and history. I know that neuroscience is very heavy on chemistry/ physics and maths, but how hard will it be to catch up in first year?

Also to anyone that has a neuroscience degree, what kind of chemistry/ physics and maths should I focus on?
Reply 1
(Posted in wrong forum earlier)

Im thinking of doing neuroscience as a degree, however, my a levels are in biology, psychology, philosophy and history. I know that neuroscience is very heavy on chemistry/ physics and maths, but how hard will it be to catch up in first year?

Also to anyone that has a neuroscience degree, what kind of chemistry/ physics and maths should I focus on?
Is it hard... 😂 Is the most mysterious powerful organ in the universe... Difficult to study at university... 😂 😂... Your kidding?
My degree is in molecular biology not neuroscience.

Hard is difficult to define. A good memory will certainly help. This wikipedia page on metabolic pathways gives a good indication of some of the things you'll have to commit to memory.

For your own sake, I'd suggest chemistry at A level. Neuroscience will be fairly heavy on biochemistry. Students who didn't take chemistry at A level often struggled with some elements as a result.
Hi im a 3rd year Neuro student. I studied Bio Chem and Maths at alevel. Its not specially hard, just like every other bio science degree. Having a chem background helps but if not most unis cover basic biochemical principles in first year. You will be fine and im sure youll enjoy the course.
Reply 5
Original post by velvets779

It's not as hard as everyone says it is
I did several modules on neuroscience. It's interesting for sure. It seems to have this reputation/percpetion for being super tricky, but stuff like Maths and Physics is much harder.

It's like any bio degree. As GenuineHpLaptop pointed out.
Reply 6
Original post by velvets779

I have just finished my second year of BSc Neuroscience. It is much more biology focused rather than focused on chemistry and physics. The only chemistry and physics modules that I did were optional rather than compulsory (apart from biochemistry).
Original post by ims99
I have just finished my second year of BSc Neuroscience. It is much more biology focused rather than focused on chemistry and physics. The only chemistry and physics modules that I did were optional rather than compulsory (apart from biochemistry).

Can I ask you a few questions about the course? bc I am planning on studying it in September but I can't find much information online :/ How have you found the course? What's the level of difficulty like? I'm hoping to go to Exeter to study neuroscience as I loved the course but I think I might do a conversion course in psych after to have a career in brain imaging/clinical neuropsychology as I love psychology also. Would you say job prospects are limited?
Reply 8
Original post by no-brainer
Can I ask you a few questions about the course? bc I am planning on studying it in September but I can't find much information online :/ How have you found the course? What's the level of difficulty like? I'm hoping to go to Exeter to study neuroscience as I loved the course but I think I might do a conversion course in psych after to have a career in brain imaging/clinical neuropsychology as I love psychology also. Would you say job prospects are limited?

I've really enjoyed the course. I would say it has been very intense but it is very manageable as long as you stay organised and on top of your work. The modules that I find the most interesting are always the easiest.

Funnily enough I am also going to apply for a conversion to psychology masters as I have realised that I want to pursue clinical neuropsychology and brain imaging. But I would say that if you definitely want a career in neuropsychology then I would 100% recommend you either doing BSc Psychology or BSc Cognitive Neuroscience and Psychology because both of these give you the BPS accreditation that is required to pursue neuropsychology. BSc Neuroscience is a more appropriate degree for someone who wants to pursue neuroscience research.
Original post by ims99
I've really enjoyed the course. I would say it has been very intense but it is very manageable as long as you stay organised and on top of your work. The modules that I find the most interesting are always the easiest.

Funnily enough I am also going to apply for a conversion to psychology masters as thaI have realised that I want to pursue clinical neuropsychology and brain imaging. But I would say that if you definitely want a career in neuropsychology then I would 100% recommend you either doing BSc Psychology or BSc Cognitive Neuroscience and Psychology because both of these give you the BPS accreditation that is required to pursue neuropsychology. BSc Neuroscience is a more appropriate degree for someone who wants to pursue neuroscience research.

Thank you so much! I was originally going to do a psych degree but got put off by how competitive it was but I also wanted to do something related to biomed and realised neuroscience is the perfect combination of them both!! I think I'm gonna stick to neuroscience because I want to keep my options open in science and I love the uni I'm hopefully going to. I'm also interested in pharmaceuticals and neurophysiology but will defo do psych modules. I personally don't think I will become a clinical neuropsychologist bc of the long process to get to that point but would love to work in that area, psychiatric research or brain imaging. I definitely want to do neuroscience but I am trying to find careers that don't involve me being in a lab 24/7 as a career.
Reply 10
Original post by no-brainer
Thank you so much! I was originally going to do a psych degree but got put off by how competitive it was but I also wanted to do something related to biomed and realised neuroscience is the perfect combination of them both!! I think I'm gonna stick to neuroscience because I want to keep my options open in science and I love the uni I'm hopefully going to. I'm also interested in pharmaceuticals and neurophysiology but will defo do psych modules. I personally don't think I will become a clinical neuropsychologist bc of the long process to get to that point but would love to work in that area, psychiatric research or brain imaging. I definitely want to do neuroscience but I am trying to find careers that don't involve me being in a lab 24/7 as a career.

I'm sure you will really enjoy the neuroscience degree, it is incredibly interesting! And whilst choosing different modules and exploring different areas of neuroscience research I'm sure you will definitely figure out which area of research is best for you! Let me know if I can help with any more neuroscience questions:smile:.
Reply 11
Original post by ims99

Oh that’s good to hear. What university did you go to?
Can I do it in uni if my alevels were physics Chem and math

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending