The Student Room Group

Tuition Fees

Hi all,

I'm currently dealing with a situation that I desperately need resolved to finish my final year at university, which currently looks like a miracle.

I applied for Student Finance for both my first and second years at university however due to unfortunate circumstances, I made a mistake with applying for tuition fees meaning that they haven't been paid to me. No emails have been sent by Student Finance regarding this but the university has. Due to the countless emails sent by my university and the fact that I thought I had already applied for tuition fees, I didn't check them.

The applications are closed for the 2019/20 period however I'm allowed to reapply once more however I have been told there's a highly unlikely chance of it being accepted. Is there anyway where I can appeal and still receive this money?

I come from a low income family so there's no way I can pay and the university has prevented me from seeing my results and re-enrolling. I feel like I've not received the help I've needed after calling the university. Being a Design student I've spent countless hours and money working hard on my projects through 6 modules so them letting it go to waste doesn't sit right with me. I desperately want this to be solved so I can finish my degree

I appreciate any help I can get
(edited 3 years ago)
Gosh. That's a tough one. Let me get this straight, you haven't paid for the academic year just gone, because you accidentally told student finance that you didn't need it? It strikes me as incredibly odd that they let you enroll at all without proof of your ability to pay your second year tuition fee. I know that, for my university, they state that you must provide proof of being able to pay tuition (which is obviously communicated to them via SFE (or other relevant company,) or has to be provided by the student if no SFE loan is being taken.)

You should call up the relevant student finance company and see what can be done. It is an incredibly peculiar situation.

Which student loans company are you using?

@SFE Isaac You're pretty active, what can you say?
Hi

You can still apply but I imagine you'll need to give a letter stating why it's late. If you have any info like correspondence between you and the uni id send that too.

What amazes me is I've seen stories here where unis hound students for their finance but others leave it till the end of the year. Its one extreme to the other.
Original post by vicvic38
Gosh. That's a tough one. Let me get this straight, you haven't paid for the academic year just gone, because you accidentally told student finance that you didn't need it? It strikes me as incredibly odd that they let you enroll at all without proof of your ability to pay your second year tuition fee. I know that, for my university, they state that you must provide proof of being able to pay tuition (which is obviously communicated to them via SFE (or other relevant company,) or has to be provided by the student if no SFE loan is being taken.)

You should call up the relevant student finance company and see what can be done. It is an incredibly peculiar situation.

Which student loans company are you using?

@SFE Isaac You're pretty active, what can you say?

Thanks for youre response,

yes I didn't have to confirm that I was going to pay it and they didnt reach out until I found out about the mistake on the 4th of July when the applications were closed on the 30th of June so I was incredibly unlucky. I didn't have to provide any proof of how I was paying.

The loans were coming from the Student Loans Company. I've made 2 calls but nothing was resolved and I was told I would get a form to apply again however it hasn't come (I was told it was meant to arrive within 24 hours of my call)

Yes its all very peculiar and my whole university future in up on the air now as I don't think I'll be able to reapply and finish off my degree
Original post by Shirohige
Hi

You can still apply but I imagine you'll need to give a letter stating why it's late. If you have any info like correspondence between you and the uni id send that too.

What amazes me is I've seen stories here where unis hound students for their finance but others leave it till the end of the year. Its one extreme to the other.

Thanks for your reply,

I haven't received the form even though it was meant to arrive for me to print off and complete within 24 hours so I'll have to call again on Monday and see what has happen!! Do you know of any cases where this has happened? I don't think using accident or personal mistake will be very useful even though its the honest truth.
Original post by BiggerWinter67
Thanks for youre response,

yes I didn't have to confirm that I was going to pay it and they didnt reach out until I found out about the mistake on the 4th of July when the applications were closed on the 30th of June so I was incredibly unlucky. I didn't have to provide any proof of how I was paying.

The loans were coming from the Student Loans Company. I've made 2 calls but nothing was resolved and I was told I would get a form to apply again however it hasn't come (I was told it was meant to arrive within 24 hours of my call)

Yes its all very peculiar and my whole university future in up on the air now as I don't think I'll be able to reapply and finish off my degree

Hi, you mention tuition fees only, so i assume your an EU student? If thats the case then i think this will be the form you need, you might be quicker printing it yourself.

http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1920/eu/eu_eupr1a_form_1920_o.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending