The Student Room Group

0.57% from obtaining a first

Hello, I was very disappointed to find out that I was 0.57% away from getting a FIRST. Lecturers and other relevant people have told me there is nothing they can do as its based in mathematical calculations even though they have recognised me of being an excellent student with a lot of effort and commitment. Has anyone else been granted a first in similar situations? Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello, I was very disappointed to find out that I was 0.57% away from getting a FIRST. Lecturers and other relevant people have told me there is nothing they can do as its based in mathematical calculations even though they have recognised me of being an excellent student with a lot of effort and commitment. Has anyone else been granted a first in similar situations? Thank you
Reply 2
Hey there! Sorry to hear that you're disappointed with your grade.

Unfortunately, at least in my opinion, there's unlikely to be anything the uni can do for you. There's usually a rounding policy in place that would have already been utilised if you'd met the conditions of it. Although you're extremely close and it must be extremely frustrating, it's probably not possible to go ahead and 'grant' grades to students who have unfortunately not quite met the grade requirement - this would cause a huge number of issues as I'm sure there would be lots of students coming forward to try and make their cases if they started doing it for some but not others based on request.

You should still be extremely proud of your 2.1 - as long as you always showcase your best self in applications and interviews, you're never going to be disadvantaged as, from what I know, employers are always going to pick someone more personally suited to a role instead of considering the difference between a first and 2.1 in the first instance (the vast majority require a 2.1 or above, which you've met)!

Congratulations again - you should be so proud of your achievements, especially under this year's circumstances.
Reply 3
Original post by Ivandelsur

I know a friend who was in a similar situation, and there was not much they could do either :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by axc5
Hey there! Sorry to hear that you're disappointed with your grade.

Unfortunately, at least in my opinion, there's unlikely to be anything the uni can do for you. There's usually a rounding policy in place that would have already been utilised if you'd met the conditions of it. Although you're extremely close and it must be extremely frustrating, it's probably not possible to go ahead and 'grant' grades to students who have unfortunately not quite met the grade requirement - this would cause a huge number of issues as I'm sure there would be lots of students coming forward to try and make their cases if they started doing it for some but not others based on request.

You should still be extremely proud of your 2.1 - as long as you always showcase your best self in applications and interviews, you're never going to be disadvantaged as, from what I know, employers are always going to pick someone more personally suited to a role instead of considering the difference between a first and 2.1 in the first instance (the vast majority require a 2.1 or above, which you've met)!

Congratulations again - you should be so proud of your achievements, especially under this year's circumstances.

Thank you so much for your help and detailed reply. I just feel so so many students have benefited from the No Detriment policy and they have not worked as hard as me but they still got the same grade...Looking at the policy that says you need to have at least half of the credits over 70%+ to obtain a first, in my case with the standard average is that I have only 40 credits above 70+. one with 79% and another one 78% both way above 70.

According to their policy, they split 40 credits module in other circumstances: "if the lowest mark were in a 40 credit module we would discount 20 credits and treat it is a 20 credit module in order to ensure the same lowest mark discard is applied” they do this so that the student gets all his credits and are not disadvantaged. Why can't they do this to a student the other way around? Where a student have 40 credits already 70+ and only needs 20 more over 70+ to obteined a first. (Two assignments split it in half one of them is 71% which will allow me to get a first)

I feel that I have worked very hard to obtiened a first and being just 0.56 away from getting it is very disappointing.
Reply 5
Original post by MKaur18
I know a friend who was in a similar situation, and there was not much they could do either :frown:

did they try all options? Can you please put me in contact with them?
Reply 6
Unfortunately, they tend not to deviate from how they calculate grades. A 2.i is still a wonderful grade though, try not to get down on yourself.
did they try all options? Can you please put me in contact with them?

Is there an essay or assignment you could get remarked? Other than that, I don't think there's anything you could do
Sorry to hear this. :frown: Bad luck.

I think if the university staff are advising there's nothing they can do then they're probably correct. :redface:

I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but it is just a piece of paper at the end of the day.

Focus on the next stage in your life, it will matter a lot more. Always focus on what's in front of you more than what's behind, or you will loose momentum. Doesn't matter much if you past accomplishments were good or bad, if you dwell on them too much... you'll get stuck there.
A 2:1 is still something to be proud of. Good stuff :smile:

I recall being in a similar position in school. For some reason the teacher wouldn’t round my 63 to a 90. Go figure

You are not alone if seen a few people this past week on TSR in the same boat.

Its a difficult spot to land in, especially when you were targeting a first, but ultimately your mark is your mark.

A 2.1 & 69% is something to be super proud of, try to focus on what you have achieved and celebrate! 🎉
Reply 12
That is the next step I feel I should take but I am not sure if is a good idea. I only need 3 marks more in my dissertation and that will allow me to get a first but I am unsure if they will even grant my request.
That is the next step I feel I should take but I am not sure if is a good idea. I only need 3 marks more in my dissertation and that will allow me to get a first but I am unsure if they will even grant my request.

Well you can always appeal & see what they say, but unless you have a justifiably reason to re-mark it, it’s unlikely to change.
Reply 14
Original post by mnot
Well you can always appeal & see what they say, but unless you have a justifiably reason to re-mark it, it’s unlikely to change.

My main reason is that I did not appeal earlier because I actually thought I would get a first with the results I got, I just made a mistake while looking at their policy so it was a bit surprise for me to get a 2:1, it was my fault
There has to be a cut off point and you just didn't meet that standard, no matter how good you thought you were. No amount of whinging will help, sorry.
My main reason is that I did not appeal earlier because I actually thought I would get a first with the results I got, I just made a mistake while looking at their policy so it was a bit surprise for me to get a 2:1, it was my fault

Well you probably forgoe your opportunity to appeal as it really needs to happen once you get your mark (and you need evidence ). The appeals process is not their to help round grades up.

You should try and celebrate your achievements rather then getting frustrated at this point. 69% is something to be proud of!
Reply 17
I just feel so so many students have benefited from the No Detriment policy and they have not worked as hard as me but they still got the same grade...Looking at the policy that says you need to have at least half of the credits over 70%+ to obtain a first, in my case with the standard average is that I have only 40 credits above 70+. one with 79% and another one 78% both way above 70.

According to their policy, they split 40 credits module in other circumstances: "if the lowest mark were in a 40 credit module we would discount 20 credits and treat it is a 20 credit module in order to ensure the same lowest mark discard is applied” they do this so that the student gets all his credits and are not disadvantaged. Why can't they do this to a student the other way around? Where a student have 40 credits already 70+ and only needs 20 more over 70+ to obteined a first. (Two assignments split it in half one of them is 71% which will allow me to get a first)

I feel that I have worked very hard to obtiened a first and being just 0.56 away from getting it is very disappointing.

Original post by Anonymous
There has to be a cut off point and you just didn't meet that standard, no matter how good you thought you were. No amount of whinging will help, sorry.
Yeah it happened to me with 69.17 it was really frustrating. I only needed one more mark in two exams for it. My revision was limited because of my neurological disease too.

If it makes you feel better I've just averaged 70.25 in my Master's taught modules.
Reply 19
Did you try everything possible? and they still did not give u a first? Well done in your Master's results!

Original post by OddOnes
Yeah it happened to me with 69.17 it was really frustrating. I only needed one more mark in two exams for it. My revision was limited because of my neurological disease too.

If it makes you feel better I've just averaged 70.25 in my Master's taught modules.

Quick Reply

Latest