The Student Room Group

University of Edinburgh A100 2021 Entry

Welcome to the University of Edinburgh A100 2021 Entry Discussion.

Edinburgh A100 2020 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6022488

For general information click: https://www.ed.ac.uk/medicine-vet-medicine/edinburgh-medical-school/medicine

For entry requirements click: https://www.ed.ac.uk/medicine-vet-medicine/edinburgh-medical-school/medicine/applying/how-to-apply/requirements

Edinburgh A100 2021 Offer Holders' thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6947926

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey thought I would kickstart this thread, who will be applying to Edinburgh for medicine this year? Do previous applicants have any tips?
Reply 2
Original post by Maggie-xx
Hey thought I would kickstart this thread, who will be applying to Edinburgh for medicine this year? Do previous applicants have any tips?

You might have to be more specific, in terms of what you wish to know, i.e. tips on what? What the University is like, what the city of Edinburgh is like, what the course is like, what the accommodation is like, teaching style, i.e. traditional or PBL, Is it an integrated course, are you applying as a graduate or school leaver, entry requirements etc. There are loads of areas tips can be given on. Also look at previous years entry threads to see what topics were discussed.
Is admission into Edinburgh based solely off UCAT and personal statement?
What sort of UCAT scores are required here?
Reply 5
Original post by Bootleg22
Is admission into Edinburgh based solely off UCAT and personal statement?
What sort of UCAT scores are required here?

Have you checked out their website, where they discuss how they select applicants and give past successful UCAT scores? (link already posted)
Original post by GANFYD
Have you checked out their website, where they discuss how they select applicants and give past successful UCAT scores? (link already posted)

Yo, I've tried looking, haven't found anything, could you link the site where they mention that?
Reply 7
Yo, I've tried looking, haven't found anything, could you link the site where they mention that?

@stereotypeasian already has?
Hey, I'm applying to Edinburgh this year as well as Oxford, Imperial, UCL and Warwick for biochem/biomed (still have to decide). I was wondering if Edinburgh have said anything about how interviews will run this year and also what's the best way to get an interview as an English student. My GCSEs are eight 9s and three 8s and I'm still working on UCAT in my first mock ever I got 2450 and I've been doing medify for more than a month now so hopefully can get that to 2600+. Does anyone know if that will be enough for an interview?
Reply 9
Original post by maddymonster99
Hey, I'm applying to Edinburgh this year as well as Oxford, Imperial, UCL and Warwick for biochem/biomed (still have to decide). I was wondering if Edinburgh have said anything about how interviews will run this year and also what's the best way to get an interview as an English student. My GCSEs are eight 9s and three 8s and I'm still working on UCAT in my first mock ever I got 2450 and I've been doing medify for more than a month now so hopefully can get that to 2600+. Does anyone know if that will be enough for an interview?

I would advise you look at last year's Edinburgh thread. There were people with very high UCAT scores failing to get interviews. The SJT band scores heavily as well so is more important than usual. Concentrate on doing as well as you can on the UCAT before you narrow down your choices. Once you have your full stats come back to the "Which medical school thread" for advice.
Reply 10

The average successful UKCAT score for Edinburgh over recent years has been 2860 (715), 2860 (715), 2130 (710) and 2850 (712.5), they used their own deciles this year
Original post by Laycity
I would advise you look at last year's Edinburgh thread. There were people with very high UCAT scores failing to get interviews. The SJT band scores heavily as well so is more important than usual. Concentrate on doing as well as you can on the UCAT before you narrow down your choices. Once you have your full stats come back to the "Which medical school thread" for advice.

Thanks for the advice!:smile: Will do!
Original post by GANFYD
The average successful UKCAT score for Edinburgh over recent years has been 2860 (715), 2860 (715), 2130 (710) and 2850 (712.5), they used their own deciles this year

Oh thank you!! Gosh 2800s wowzers. I'd probably be able to make it to that bracket if my dumb Abstract Reasoning would work with me. It's like my mind says no to every question, just can't crack it.
Reply 13
Oh thank you!! Gosh 2800s wowzers. I'd probably be able to make it to that bracket if my dumb Abstract Reasoning would work with me. It's like my mind says no to every question, just can't crack it.

It is certainly Abstract!!
The key to AR is practice. There are a limited number of rules, and pointers as to which one you might be looking at. Do enough and they become easier to spot! But make sure you really drill down on why you got a question wrong, rahter than just noting it and moving on. Do you always miss the symmetry? The arrow ones? The 2 part rules? Then you can start to see what your brain finds tough! And historically, in previous years people have said AR is easier on the actual UCAT than on Medify, so keep going and good luck! Your current stats have got you off to an excellent start :smile:
Original post by GANFYD
It is certainly Abstract!!
The key to AR is practice. There are a limited number of rules, and pointers as to which one you might be looking at. Do enough and they become easier to spot! But make sure you really drill down on why you got a question wrong, rahter than just noting it and moving on. Do you always miss the symmetry? The arrow ones? The 2 part rules? Then you can start to see what your brain finds tough! And historically, in previous years people have said AR is easier on the actual UCAT than on Medify, so keep going and good luck! Your current stats have got you off to an excellent start :smile:

I agree with this advice. The key to AR is about practice, but also to know the theory behind it.

Basically, AR is all about picking out the rules and distractors by identifying similarities and differences between and within sets. Once you've got your mindset along this path, the questions become a lot easier and then practice enables you to speed up the process significantly (you only have 14 seconds per question in the subtest!)

We have a pretty cool skills trainer for AR (and other subtests) which trains your brain to think this way (in addition to thousands of AR questions) on our platform. There are bunch of free resources around too, including our own free practice exam.

Let me know if I can help at all.

Ray
MedEntry UCAT Rep

Try going on whatdotheyknow and type in Medicine Edinburgh uni and it will give you the statistics of grades and UCAT scores that have given offers

If you are an RUK (English) applicant you will need to get a higher UCAT score, their internal deciles/octiles are higher than the UCAT’s official decile scales and they limit the amount of RUK students they accept/interview.
hey, i’m thinking of applying to edinburgh but i feel like i don’t have a chance of getting in because of my GCSE results. i got 2 8s in english language and lit but 6s for everything else other than double science which i got a 6/5 in. i’m predicted A*AA for my a levels and say i get a good ucat score. would that weigh me down ?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by akhter_fiza
hey, i’m thinking of applying to edinburgh but i feel like i don’t have a chance of getting in because of my GCSE results. i got 2 8s in english language and lit but 6s for everything else other than double science which i got a 6/5 in. i’m predicted A*AA for my a levels and say i get a good ucat score. would that weigh me down ?

Are you a RUK applicant? There are not that many places for non-Scottish applicants so the competition is fierce. Have a look at last year's Edinburgh thread to give you an idea of scores needed, most of those shortlisted for interview had pretty perfect academics and a stellar UCAT score . I'd imagine it wouldn't be a wise choice for you unfortunately
Original post by Laycity
Are you a RUK applicant? There are not that many places for non-Scottish applicants so the competition is fierce. Have a look at last year's Edinburgh thread to give you an idea of scores needed, most of those shortlisted for interview had pretty perfect academics and a stellar UCAT score . I'd imagine it wouldn't be a wise choice for you unfortunately

yh i figured, thank you though !

Latest

Trending

Trending