The Student Room Group

Job Prospects with English v Criminology

From a low ranking university, which degree will hold a more reputable stance? I originally applied for English Studies at Teesside although I was concerned about the job opportunities stemming from such a subject and so rejected my offer. I was considering Criminology which I intended to apply for through clearing or UCAS extra. I’m aware that both degrees are awfully common and employment prospects aren’t great for either, but which degree will realistically open more pathways in the long term?
Reply 1
Zero.
as a graduate in an almost-as-useless degree let me tell you that your employment prospects will be TERRIBLE without good work experience but AMAZING with good work experience

and it is imperative that your work experience is non-relevant to you degree
Imo they both hold little or no value. As a man who pays real money from his pay each month for my degree I'd say make it a really really good one.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by A Rolling Stone
as a graduate in an almost-as-useless degree let me tell you that your employment prospects will be TERRIBLE without good work experience but AMAZING with good work experience

and it is imperative that your work experience is non-relevant to you degree

How did you go about securing work experience (if you don’t mind me asking)? I know certain unis offer certain placements in the form of sandwich years ect, but the university I’ve applied to doesn’t offer this opportunity and I’m wary about how I’d go about the process, especially given that Criminology is looked down upon by most employers and most placements are directly related to positions such as the police force which, as far as I’m aware, are incredibly hard to venture into.
Reply 5
Original post by yeetouttawindow
Imo they both hold little or no value. As a man who pays real money from his pay each month for my degree I'd say make it a really really good one.

As a rule of thumb, humanities degrees aren’t great which doesn’t work in my favour given that my A levels (English, Religious Studies and Sociology) are all humanities subjects.
Original post by Bethbxo
How did you go about securing work experience (if you don’t mind me asking)? I know certain unis offer certain placements in the form of sandwich years ect, but the university I’ve applied to doesn’t offer this opportunity and I’m wary about how I’d go about the process, especially given that Criminology is looked down upon by most employers and most placements are directly related to positions such as the police force which, as far as I’m aware, are incredibly hard to venture into.

people severely underrate the benefits of working in a café or a shop part time which shoes customer/client focus and people skills., working in retail or hospitality is really a good thing for your CV and don't down on it :smile:

placements would be exactly the wrong thing for you because they would be relevant to your degree - for example if you get English- or criminology-related work experience that will only impress employers in that specific field which limits your options (particularly if jobs are scarce), employers just want someone with evidence of good people-skills and potential :smile:
Reply 7
Nobody's employment prospects are particularly fantastic without a good work experience tbh.

Doesn't have to be paid. Can be voluntary/unpaid. Can be anything as basic as retail or hospitality work.

It can be working on side projects with mates/colleagues, can be your own side hustle.

If you gain transferrable skills and experiences it's good enough. Justify and big it up later on down the line.
does Cyber Security have good job prospects?
Original post by Bethbxo
From a low ranking university, which degree will hold a more reputable stance? I originally applied for English Studies at Teesside although I was concerned about the job opportunities stemming from such a subject and so rejected my offer. I was considering Criminology which I intended to apply for through clearing or UCAS extra. I’m aware that both degrees are awfully common and employment prospects aren’t great for either, but which degree will realistically open more pathways in the long term?

From Teeside, neither. You'd be better of spending those three years in a standard job or a decent apprenticeship.
Original post by OptiWeight
does Cyber Security have good job prospects?

They are more than good tbh there's a massive demand now. My friend is about to do it and there's a 100 percent employment rate and they are begging for females

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending