The Student Room Group

Thatcher v Churchill: Who was more racist?

Both have been accused of being racist, but who was more racist?

1593873162766.jpg
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Does it matter?
Who cares they’re both dead
Reply 3
Original post by Daveological
Does it matter?

If people are going to deem them racist, I am curious who is worse.
Original post by Wooord
Who cares they’re both dead

So's Edward Colston, etc....
Reply 5
Jeremy Corbyn.

Thank you for listening :wink2:
Original post by Tom_Jacobs
If people are going to deem them racist, I am curious who is worse.

Churchill by far.
Original post by Justvisited
So's Edward Colston, etc....

Yep
Reply 8
Original post by Daveological
Churchill by far.

TY for finally answering.

1593873162766.jpg

Have some respect.
Reply 10
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Have some respect.

I personally find it hard to respect people that have caused so much pain and suffering
(edited 3 years ago)

1593873162766.jpg

Churchill

1593873162766.jpg

i didn't even realise Thatcher was a racist? I've heard Priti Patel saw her a role model in politics, and was one of her inspirations for getting into politics as well.
Churchill. It's not even close.
Interesting parallel between the fierce protection of Churchill but suddenly people have problems with Russians glorifying Stalin or the Chinese with Mao
Original post by Megxn0
I personally find it hard to respect people that have caused so much pain and suffering

Both were leaders who saw us through very dark times. I was around at the time of there Falklands War - if we had not had the spine of Margaret Thatcher, who knows where we would be

1593873162766.jpg

I think it’s important to note that in their time they weren’t particularly racist. Of course looking back now we can recognise that behaviour as racist but you have to look at how people acted within the norms of their society/time (in my opinion)
Original post by Megxn0

They also stopped so much pain and suffering (especially in Churchill’s case)
Original post by Megxn0

You dont have to respect them nor are people asking you to. But both were democratically elected. I dont know much about Thatcher but I reckon we could use someone like her now. You need someone to be strict and hard-ball others and not pander and pussyfoot to others to score election points.

As for Churchill well yes I'm sure he did say some things which may have been considered racist but he was the man he stood up to Germany and took part in the Alliance. Should the UK have failed, you and me wouldnt have even been born nor our parents. We would have been living in a completely different country and believe me there would have been much, much worse things than silly buzz words and petty things that others get 'offended' by. He at least deserves some respect and the army that he commanded. If it was someone else things may have took a turn for the worse. He took part in WWII so we, right now can live and basically do whatever we want, work, slouch, earn our keep, vote, play games, buy things, go on twitter for buzz words, debate. Everything. If the UK had been swallowed by Nazi Germany I think we would have been born into a country of totalitarian, censorship and fear.
Reply 19
Original post by anime&lt
You dont have to respect them nor are people asking you to. But both were democratically elected. I dont know much about Thatcher but I reckon we could use someone like her now. You need someone to be strict and hard-ball others and not pander and pussyfoot to others to score election points.

As for Churchill well yes I'm sure he did say some things which may have been considered racist but he was the man he stood up to Germany and took part in the Alliance. Should the UK have failed, you and me wouldnt have even been born nor our parents. We would have been living in a completely different country and believe me there would have been much, much worse things than silly buzz words and petty things that others get 'offended' by. He at least deserves some respect and the army that he commanded. If it was someone else things may have took a turn for the worse. He took part in WWII so we, right now can live and basically do whatever we want, work, slouch, earn our keep, vote, play games, buy things, go on twitter for buzz words, debate. Everything. If the UK had been swallowed by Nazi Germany I think we would have been born into a country of totalitarian, censorship and fear.

For Churchill, what I wrote had nothing to do with with the racist things he said. It was to do with what he had done. Yeah he got us through WWII, and got us out of a bad place but landed other counties right in to it. He caused a lot of pain and suffering and there’s really no denying that

Quick Reply