The Student Room Group

Would I stand a chance to get into my firm choice with these grades in August?

I took a gap year to resit some exams this year. Last year I achieved BBC and an A* in my EPQ which admittedly isn't the best and that is entirely my fault. I was revising night and day from January till March and felt I could greatly improve on some of my grades. I was predicted AAB for UCAS.

My firm choice is Cardiff, in which the initial offer was AAB or ABB with an A or higher in EPQ. They then sent a letter home saying that if I firm them, they'll reduce my offer to ABB or BBB with A or higher in EPQ. They also said that if I'm retaking, the highest grade counts, meaning I really only need a B in one subject to get in.

Luckily, my centre has agreed to provide me with grades as a private candidate (which I am extremely grateful for, I know many other private candidates who didn't get this opportunity) , although they won't be using any work from this year and only data they have on me from when I was in Year 12 and 13 which I didn't really try my best during.

I feel there's a chance that my final grades could end up being BBC again and I won't be going to university for another year. My insurance (Liverpool) also requires a B so I won't be getting into that either if the above case happens.

Would you think that due to circumstances this year, Cardiff/Liverpool might be slighly more lenient when it comes to grades? I do remember trying to go through clearing last year with Cardiff for a similar course, and they required BBB.

Sorry for rambling on, just had to get this off my mind. Thanks
What course is it for. Cardiff are usually quite generous accepting lower grades. I know someone accepted with BCD this year without resitting. You might also consider elsewhere if you get rejected.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
What course is it for. Cardiff are usually quite generous accepting lower grades. I know someone accepted with BCD this year without resitting. You might also consider elsewhere if you get rejected.

It's for Biochemistry
Original post by mat325h
It's for Biochemistry

It is a science subject so more difficult to tell but my gut feeling is you will be accepted. If you are rejected look into. Swansea or Aberystwyth through clearing
Original post by mat325h
I took a gap year to resit some exams this year. Last year I achieved BBC and an A* in my EPQ which admittedly isn't the best and that is entirely my fault. I was revising night and day from January till March and felt I could greatly improve on some of my grades. I was predicted AAB for UCAS.

My firm choice is Cardiff, in which the initial offer was AAB or ABB with an A or higher in EPQ. They then sent a letter home saying that if I firm them, they'll reduce my offer to ABB or BBB with A or higher in EPQ. They also said that if I'm retaking, the highest grade counts, meaning I really only need a B in one subject to get in.

Luckily, my centre has agreed to provide me with grades as a private candidate (which I am extremely grateful for, I know many other private candidates who didn't get this opportunity) , although they won't be using any work from this year and only data they have on me from when I was in Year 12 and 13 which I didn't really try my best during.

I feel there's a chance that my final grades could end up being BBC again and I won't be going to university for another year. My insurance (Liverpool) also requires a B so I won't be getting into that either if the above case happens.

Would you think that due to circumstances this year, Cardiff/Liverpool might be slighly more lenient when it comes to grades? I do remember trying to go through clearing last year with Cardiff for a similar course, and they required BBB.

In March the Guardian wrote that the government would cap university admissions for English universities. Universities are in the sh*t because international students will not be coming because of covid. To stop a massive grab of English students with lower grades - which would have benefitted you - the government is putting restrictions on student numbers. This is bad news for you if you feel you will not get the grades Cardiff and Liverpool are seeking. Do not delay going to uni for another year. You can get into a decent uni with BBC. Perhaps a plate glass uni like Hull or Leicester or Reading. Still decent unis.

One avenue is the Scottish Universities. In Scotland, the Scottish Government still pays the uni fees for Scottish students but that means that the Scottish Government dictates to each Scottish uni how any students they can enrol (since the Government is footing the bill). But there is no limit for English applicants since you will be charged the £9k annual fees so English students top up the revenue for Scottish unis. Try contacting Glasgow, Strathclyde and Edinburgh unis to see what A level grades they are seeking.
Original post by mat325h

It seems quite likely that Cardiff or Liverpool will be lenient with you if you get BBC instead of BBB but if not there are bound to be other good options in Clearing like Swansea or Reading.

I would hope for the best but prepare for the worst just in case. Reseach other unis that offer your course at slightly lower grades and draw up a shortlist of ones you like the look of - there is no reason why you should not be able to go to uni this year with your still relatively good grades of BBC.
Reply 6
Original post by mike23mike
In March the Guardian wrote that the government would cap university admissions for English universities. Universities are in the sh*t because international students will not be coming because of covid. To stop a massive grab of English students with lower grades - which would have benefitted you - the government is putting restrictions on student numbers. This is bad news for you if you feel you will not get the grades Cardiff and Liverpool are seeking. Do not delay going to uni for another year. You can get into a decent uni with BBC. Perhaps a plate glass uni like Hull or Leicester or Reading. Still decent unis.

One avenue is the Scottish Universities. In Scotland, the Scottish Government still pays the uni fees for Scottish students but that means that the Scottish Government dictates to each Scottish uni how any students they can enrol (since the Government is footing the bill). But there is no limit for English applicants since you will be charged the £9k annual fees so English students top up the revenue for Scottish unis. Try contacting Glasgow, Strathclyde and Edinburgh unis to see what A level grades they are seeking.

Has the cap been fully confirmed?
Original post by mike23mike

This was in the Times on 2 June. Looks like the cap is confirmed for English and Scottish unis - bad news. . Higher cap for Scottish unis though

Quick Reply