The Student Room Group

Take an adventure with Hazelly!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hazelly
Pasty.jpeg

Homemade Cornish pasties from yesterday :biggrin: (I am no chef and my cooking skills are not the best, so they don’t look amazing!)

How is everyone today? I’m on planning on making the lemon drizzle cake at last today! :woo:

They look so good! I’ve never tasted Cornish Pasties before. Bet they were delicious tho 😉 Can’t wait to see the lemon drizzle cake :smile:
Original post by Hazelly
It sounds silly but I'm too scared to and I don't know why? I think I'm worried that they're going to ask how I am as odd as it sounds, I'm just used to putting up a front when with them face-to-face at college so I can mask my emotions but it's a bit more difficult via messaging/emailing.

Gosh thank you for reminding me, this hadn't gone through my mind you're right :hugs:. I hope so too, even if it eases the choking episodes by a little.

I'm not 100% sure, I've hardly done anything today. I'm hoping to make a cake and do some more painting. I can't really think of what else to do, I'm not the most creative person that's for sure :lol:

If I was one of your teachers then I'd want to know about your surgery - maybe just a factual e-mail to your tutor?

Could you add me to the tag list please ?
Original post by halsx11
They look so good! I’ve never tasted Cornish Pasties before. Bet they were delicious tho 😉 Can’t wait to see the lemon drizzle cake :smile:

Cornish pasties are so good, I love shop-bought ones from a bakery :yep: The cake has just come out of the oven now!

Original post by Muttley79
If I was one of your teachers then I'd want to know about your surgery - maybe just a factual e-mail to your tutor?

Could you add me to the tag list please ?

Thank you, that's put it into perspective. I'll send them an email tomorrow and see how it goes.

Of course :h:

Day 3:
4th July 2020

I’m thankful to say that today has been quite a relaxed day. This morning I received three different hospital letters for appointments and tests, which was quite stressful :frown:. Frustratingly they all must be cancelled as I was booked in to have them three days after my surgery. But my surgeon is thinking I’m going to be in for about a week so that’s no good! I am feeling pretty nervous for after my surgery as I have lots of upcoming tests such as an MRI for my spine, ultrasound to check my kidneys, a heart scan (echo), and a few different appointments as my neurologist is concerned that I may have something called tethered cord. If I do have this it will result in another surgery to detether it :redface:

This morning I watched Miracles from Heaven and ended up crying during it, it’s such a sad film :cry2:. Mostly because the young girl is suffering from bowel obstructions which I’ve had before ad it’s based on a true story! I’m very emotional :lol:

On a positive note, I finally made the Lemon drizzle cake and I can confirm it’s very tasty :biggrin:

Question for the day of course!

Question: What is your favourite Disney character if you like Disney?

Answer for me: Stitch :heart:

Also, here is an update of what the giraffe is looking like, it's slowy but surely coming on :smile:

106897132_612759086031418_5109087615317734083_n.jpg

Have a good evening! :wavey:

Tag list:

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
Sorry to hear about all the faff regarding the after operation stuff, hopefully it goes smoothly :frown:

Glad the lemon drizzle was yummy, can't go wrong with that :drool:

I love Olaf :ahee:
I love how the giraffe is coming on! Do you know where it’s from? :grin:
Sorry that you had a stressful morning and the appointments were cancelled :console:
Original post by DrawTheLine
Sorry to hear about all the faff regarding the after operation stuff, hopefully it goes smoothly :frown:

Glad the lemon drizzle was yummy, can't go wrong with that :drool:

I love Olaf :ahee:

Fingers crossed, I agree cakes are amazing!

Funnily enough I’m watching frozen right now :wink:

Original post by laurawatt
I love how the giraffe is coming on! Do you know where it’s from? :grin:
Sorry that you had a stressful morning and the appointments were cancelled :console:

I’m not 100% sure, I got it as a birthday gift but I think it’s from amazon :smile: I could try find out if you’d like?

:hugs:
(edited 3 years ago)
Sorry to hear about the letters and cancelling appointments - that does sound incredibly stressful indeed, and especially to receive three such letters all in one day :headfire:

I do hope you don't have a tethered cord, for your sake. I haven't Googled it (yet :ninja: ) but it doesn't sound nice at all :nope: (Understatement of the century!)

Lemon drizzle cake :teeth: Pics or GTFO :tongue:

Loving the giraffe! :h:

Picking only one Disney character is really hard but I do love Elsa from Frozen :love:
Original post by Hazelly
I’m not 100% sure, I got it as a birthday gift but I think it’s from amazon :smile: I could try find out if you’d like?

:hugs:

Think I’ve found it! :woo: Thank you :h: :hugs:
That’s sad 😔 I feel sorry for you going through this but I know the outcome will be very positive :smile: I like how you try to put ur mind at ease by baking and watching movies- Ik for a matter of fact if it was me I’d just sit and cry all day 😭- I’m an over thinker 😂😭 As for my favourite movie character it has to be Rapunzel 😁
Original post by Hazelly
That’s true yeah, college finishes next week anyway for summer holidays then I’m done till September! (At last :biggrin:).

We’re going to put a lemon drizzle on top of the cake :drool:

Ohhh, yum. Please send pictures!!

Original post by Hazelly

Day 3:
4th July 2020

I’m thankful to say that today has been quite a relaxed day. This morning I received three different hospital letters for appointments and tests, which was quite stressful :frown:. Frustratingly they all must be cancelled as I was booked in to have them three days after my surgery. But my surgeon is thinking I’m going to be in for about a week so that’s no good! I am feeling pretty nervous for after my surgery as I have lots of upcoming tests such as an MRI for my spine, ultrasound to check my kidneys, a heart scan (echo), and a few different appointments as my neurologist is concerned that I may have something called tethered cord. If I do have this it will result in another surgery to detether it :redface:

This morning I watched Miracles from Heaven and ended up crying during it, it’s such a sad film :cry2:. Mostly because the young girl is suffering from bowel obstructions which I’ve had before ad it’s based on a true story! I’m very emotional :lol:

On a positive note, I finally made the Lemon drizzle cake and I can confirm it’s very tasty :biggrin:

Question for the day of course!

Question: What is your favourite Disney character if you like Disney?

Answer for me: Stitch :heart:

Also, here is an update of what the giraffe is looking like, it's slowy but surely coming on :smile:

106897132_612759086031418_5109087615317734083_n.jpg

Have a good evening! :wavey:

Tag list:

Spoiler

:console: it's always rough medical stuff. Have an appointment on the 13th with my neurologist too. :redface: have you had an echocardiogram before?

Stitch is seriously the cutest! I love Pascal from Tangled as well. :tongue: He is so sassy haha. Hope you're doing okay today. Here if you need anything.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Sorry to hear about the letters and cancelling appointments - that does sound incredibly stressful indeed, and especially to receive three such letters all in one day :headfire:

I do hope you don't have a tethered cord, for your sake. I haven't Googled it (yet :ninja: ) but it doesn't sound nice at all :nope: (Understatement of the century!)

Lemon drizzle cake :teeth: Pics or GTFO :tongue:

Loving the giraffe! :h:

Picking only one Disney character is really hard but I do love Elsa from Frozen :love:

It really is, I was hoping that at least one of those letters was going to be something like here's a voucher to Cadburys chocolate!! :laugh:

I'm hoping so too, I don't know too much about tethered cord but it's usually picked up at birth as a congenital defect but can apparently develop after a growth spurt - damn getting older :rolleyes:

GFTO? I'll upload some photos for sure! (It doesn't look the best as I forgot about it in the oven :groovy:)

Elsa is so magical, I like your choice :biggrin:

Original post by halsx11
That’s sad 😔 I feel sorry for you going through this but I know the outcome will be very positive :smile: I like how you try to put ur mind at ease by baking and watching movies- Ik for a matter of fact if it was me I’d just sit and cry all day 😭- I’m an over thinker 😂😭 As for my favourite movie character it has to be Rapunzel 😁

Thank you and it's okay, there's certainly been a lot of tears over the last few days. I don't think I've been this occupied in a while! Night times are usually the worst for me with overthinking :redface:. Now that you've said Rapunzel I'm definitely going to have to watch Tangled tomorrow, I'm a bit of a Disney fan :smile:

Original post by Pathway
Ohhh, yum. Please send pictures!!

:console: it's always rough medical stuff. Have an appointment on the 13th with my neurologist too. :redface: have you had an echocardiogram before?

Stitch is seriously the cutest! I love Pascal from Tangled as well. :tongue: He is so sassy haha. Hope you're doing okay today. Here if you need anything.

Will do!

I hope your appointment goes OK, I'm here if you'd like to chat about it here or on PM if you want to :console: I've never had an echo before, I've had standard ultrasounds on my kidneys and abdomen. Have you had one? If so is it a quick test?

I knoow! He's adorable :h: Thank you for the support , I'm doing okay :jumphug:
Original post by Hazelly
It really is, I was hoping that at least one of those letters was going to be something like here's a voucher to Cadburys chocolate!! :laugh:

I'm hoping so too, I don't know too much about tethered cord but it's usually picked up at birth as a congenital defect but can apparently develop after a growth spurt - damn getting older :rolleyes:

GFTO? I'll upload some photos for sure! (It doesn't look the best as I forgot about it in the oven :groovy:)

Elsa is so magical, I like your choice :biggrin:

Thank you and it's okay, there's certainly been a lot of tears over the last few days. I don't think I've been this occupied in a while! Night times are usually the worst for me with overthinking :redface:. Now that you've said Rapunzel I'm definitely going to have to watch Tangled tomorrow, I'm a bit of a Disney fan :smile:

Will do!

I hope your appointment goes OK, I'm here if you'd like to chat about it here or on PM if you want to :console: I've never had an echo before, I've had standard ultrasounds on my kidneys and abdomen. Have you had one? If so is it a quick test?

I knoow! He's adorable :h: Thank you for the support , I'm doing okay :jumphug:

Echos aren't too bad, I've had a few (I have a few issues with my heart from the EDS). They can be quite cold though and it's uncomfortable in the sense that they want you to undress waist up. I got bruising as well because I'm prone to bruising (again, EDS), but other than that it's okay. You'll be okay. :hugs: do you know when they'll rearrange them?
Original post by Pathway
Echos aren't too bad, I've had a few (I have a few issues with my heart from the EDS). They can be quite cold though and it's uncomfortable in the sense that they want you to undress waist up. I got bruising as well because I'm prone to bruising (again, EDS), but other than that it's okay. You'll be okay. :hugs: do you know when they'll rearrange them?

Ohh, do they not go under your gown so you stay semi decent? Sorry that it caused bruising, I hope it went down quickly :hugs: I have no idea when they’re going to rearrange it, at least once I’ve had my surgery they can just book all the appointments whenever, there’s just so many to think about :redface:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Hazelly
Ohh, do they not go under your gown so you stay semi decent? Sorry that it caused bruising, I hope it went down quickly :hugs: I have no idea when they’re going to rearrange it, at least once I’ve had my surgery they can just book all the appointments whenever, there’s just so many to think about :redface:

Yeah they give you something to put over you to keep you decent but still. :redface: I'm not big chested but some people who have big boobs have issues with the tech needing them to go into different positions.so there's a chance the sheet will come off aha.

I relate, that's how I feel about all my appts. Full time job keeping up with all this health stuff. It's exhausting.
Original post by Pathway
Yeah they give you something to put over you to keep you decent but still. :redface: I'm not big chested but some people who have big boobs have issues with the tech needing them to go into different positions.so there's a chance the sheet will come off aha.

I relate, that's how I feel about all my appts. Full time job keeping up with all this health stuff. It's exhausting.

Ah okay, do you have regular echos to keep ontop of your heart issues? I know its a bit different but that’s what I’ve been told will happen for my kidneys, now that I’ve seen a urologist after five years of asking :redface: :woo:

Are you still thinking of going into post grad for the masters? :smile: sorry I hope you don’t mind me asking on here!

I think its going to be a sleepless night for me 💤
Original post by Hazelly
Ah okay, do you have regular echos to keep ontop of your heart issues? I know its a bit different but that’s what I’ve been told will happen for my kidneys, now that I’ve seen a urologist after five years of asking :redface: :woo:

Are you still thinking of going into post grad for the masters? :smile: sorry I hope you don’t mind me asking on here!

I think its going to be a sleepless night for me 💤

Yeah. It's not too big of a problem. I actually think it's kinda cool to see my heart pumping away. I'm glad they have sent you to one. It's good they're finally doing things and monitoring you. :hugs:

Well, I still want to do my masters, yes, it's just not something worth doing whilst things are still so bad. Honestly I struggle to see a future, so thinking about doing a masters is way out of reach when I can barely see next week. It is what it is at this point. I need to focus on getting my mental health in a better place and same for my physical health.

I'm around if you want to chat. :hugs:
Original post by Pathway
Yeah. It's not too big of a problem. I actually think it's kinda cool to see my heart pumping away. I'm glad they have sent you to one. It's good they're finally doing things and monitoring you. :hugs:

Well, I still want to do my masters, yes, it's just not something worth doing whilst things are still so bad. Honestly I struggle to see a future, so thinking about doing a masters is way out of reach when I can barely see next week. It is what it is at this point. I need to focus on getting my mental health in a better place and same for my physical health.

I'm around if you want to chat. :hugs:

It is quite fascinating! I’ve sat in appointment with my neurologist in the past and he shows me my MRI and it’s just so cool :smile:

I feel like these next 6 months or so are just going to be chaos for me with back to back appointments and tests. I’m also starting to move to adult care which I’m pretty nervous about.

That’s totally understandable, I feel like this at the moment too with having pressures of what to do when i finish college next year. It’s exhausting! I’m here for you too and it’s best to just take baby steps in a sense? :hugs:
Original post by Hazelly
It is quite fascinating! I’ve sat in appointment with my neurologist in the past and he shows me my MRI and it’s just so cool :smile:

I feel like these next 6 months or so are just going to be chaos for me with back to back appointments and tests. I’m also starting to move to adult care which I’m pretty nervous about.

That’s totally understandable, I feel like this at the moment too with having pressures of what to do when i finish college next year. It’s exhausting! I’m here for you too and it’s best to just take baby steps in a sense? :hugs:

Have they discussed that with you? Like the move to adult care?

And yeah, just be careful. You can always go back to education. If you ruin your health by not taking care of yourself because you're doing too much, it's a lot harder to get it back. You don't have to do everything at the same time as everyone else. Take things at your own pace. That was something I learnt in my early 20s. I just think health is more important than anything else, and currently, my health is trash. Physically and mentally. I need to focus on it, or I'll end up turning up in A&E regularly again. :dontknow: I'll be OK. I'm here if you need anything.
Original post by Pathway
Have they discussed that with you? Like the move to adult care?

And yeah, just be careful. You can always go back to education. If you ruin your health by not taking care of yourself because you're doing too much, it's a lot harder to get it back. You don't have to do everything at the same time as everyone else. Take things at your own pace. That was something I learnt in my early 20s. I just think health is more important than anything else, and currently, my health is trash. Physically and mentally. I need to focus on it, or I'll end up turning up in A&E regularly again. :dontknow: I'll be OK. I'm here if you need anything.

There hasn’t been much talk about it, one of my gastro doctors at the local hospital has decided to start moving me to a doctor that I’ve had before who I don’t feel comfortable being with just because there was lots of errors that resulted me in getting transferred to a new hospital and having bowel surgery. It’s just scary knowing that so many things will change when I go onto adult care.

I definitely will be careful, especially after this surgery. I’m just going to be taking it day by day and see how it plans out, I’ve been told to start writing out my personal statement but I’m not 100% sure what course I want to do yet! (Maybe psychology :smile: ). I hope you’re okay and I’m here if you need to chat as well?, sorry I feel like I’ve been talking way too much about my surgery and medical issues :jumphug:

Quick Reply

Latest