The Student Room Group

Is it worth working 7 days a week

OK so currently I work at a warehouse 5 days a week for 40 hours Monday to friday its £10.50 an hour and I get just under £400 a week for that and I have an induction to a warehouse in Derby on Tuesday its a weekend job as an assembler with £12.00 an hour pay for two 8 hour shifts so that would be another £180 a week

Is it sensible and even doable for me to do 7 days a week I commute quite a distance and I study a levels too

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Personally, I’d say no. You’ll end up burning out or prioritising work over other commitments. As appealing as the extra money may be, don’t put yourself in a situation where you’re nearly working yourself to death. It’s not sustainable.

You’re already doing 40 hours and add the extra it’s coming out at 56 hours a week. You also need to keep in mind that £180 won’t be what you get after tax. A second job is taxed heavily at 20% making it very rarely worth it.

You’d be better looking for a better paid Monday - Friday job if you wanted.
Original post by Chemgem69
OK so currently I work at a warehouse 5 days a week for 40 hours Monday to friday its £10.50 an hour and I get just under £400 a week for that and I have an induction to a warehouse in Derby on Tuesday its a weekend job as an assembler with £12.00 an hour pay for two 8 hour shifts so that would be another £180 a week

Is it sensible and even doable for me to do 7 days a week I commute quite a distance and I study a levels too

If your year 12 right now then no. If your year 13 (and therefore finished now) then yes but only temporary if your needing some cash for uni.
Reply 3
Original post by Bexjw
Personally, I’d say no. You’ll end up burning out or prioritising work over other commitments. As appealing as the extra money may be, don’t put yourself in a situation where you’re nearly working yourself to death. It’s not sustainable.

You’re already doing 40 hours and add the extra it’s coming out at 56 hours a week. You also need to keep in mind that £180 won’t be what you get after tax. A second job is taxed heavily at 20% making it very rarely worth it.

You’d be better looking for a better paid Monday - Friday job if you wanted.

It's legit in 20%? 😱😱 Assembly point sounds fun though
Well I'm planning on taking a forklift course this year and then getting into counter balance when I've got my license and counter balance jobs start at £14.00 and can go up to £21.00 an hour depending on the agency, company and calibre

So 14.00 an hour is like £530 a week that's a bit better
Reply 4
Original post by Ghostlady
If your year 12 right now then no. If your year 13 (and therefore finished now) then yes but only temporary if your needing some cash for uni.

Am year 13 but I couldn't do my exams this year I'm 18 ane self teaching I'm like two years behind now as I planned to apply for uni in September having completed my maths and accounting but now I'll have to do 2 a levels next summer and one a level the following summer as that is more realistic given I'm in full time employment
Am year 13 but I couldn't do my exams this year I'm 18 ane self teaching I'm like two years behind now as I planned to apply for uni in September having completed my maths and accounting but now I'll have to do 2 a levels next summer and one a level the following summer as that is more realistic given I'm in full time employment

Sounds like you need money. I have worked full time and studied at night but only 5 days a week. Everyone needs breaks. You actually become less effective after you work a certain amount and it’s likely that it will be your studies where you cut corners.

I have also done 70-90 hour weeks (90 including travel) and my self care plummeted. It’s a risk but you are young and much more able to bounce back.

Basically you need to decide what your priority is. If it’s making money then take the job but if you plan to go to university then i think one job and A levels is enough. Could you perhaps go full time at the better paid job as a compromise? Even after the summer?
Reply 6
Original post by FingersXedAgain
Sounds like you need money. I have worked full time and studied at night but only 5 days a week. Everyone needs breaks. You actually become less effective after you work a certain amount and it’s likely that it will be your studies where you cut corners.

I have also done 70-90 hour weeks (90 including travel) and my self care plummeted. It’s a risk but you are young and much more able to bounce back.

Basically you need to decide what your priority is. If it’s making money then take the job but if you plan to go to university then i think one job and A levels is enough. Could you perhaps go full time at the better paid job as a compromise? Even after the summer?

It's risky Ik
Well I'm planning on getting a fork lift counter balance license and the pay starts at £14.00 an hour. The course costs like 2.5k I do plan on attempting to go uni to do chemistry but at my own pace hopefully in sep 2022. Tbh I love money, I need it for my Facebook sponsorship so basically for my fame, my portfolios in modelling and to cover exam costs and study essentials. I want it to by designer clothes, technology, protein supplements, good quality food, for holidays and I want to save atleast 6k a year. I used to have 10k savings but I rinsed it over lockdown and I only have like 4k now
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7

I think the only position available is only part time on weekends

Since your doing your exams next year, then you are going to give up one of your jobs i'm afraid. I did a'levels and a weekend job and that was bad enough. (btw i flunked them and got an E,D, and an ungraded). Yes its nice getting the money in and all of that and its good to be prepared for uni, but if your serious about getting those a'levels, then dont work 7 days a week.
Reply 9
Since your doing your exams next year, then you are going to give up one of your jobs i'm afraid. I did a'levels and a weekend job and that was bad enough. (btw i flunked them and got an E,D, and an ungraded). Yes its nice getting the money in and all of that and its good to be prepared for uni, but if your serious about getting those a'levels, then dont work 7 days a week.

Oh sharks what happened? What about 6 days a week and 48 hours? My lifestyle is quite expensive social media etc so I feel like I need to earn as much guape as possible and I wanna add to my 4k savings it will come in handy for uni and for my fork life course which will cost 2.5k and I wanna launch some merchandise so for my business again which interlink with social media and marketing

I do wanna get my a levels yes I'm hoping to be bcc or ccc so I can do a 4 yeae foundation in chemistry at Lincoln then a masters further a field
(edited 3 years ago)
I used to have 10k savings but I rinsed it over lockdown and I only have like 4k now

You spent 6k in 3 months?
The danger for you is you lose focus on your studies and end up working in a warehouse forever.
yes i do 50 hours admin
Reply 13
Original post by jackien1
You spent 6k in 3 months?

1k on alcohol, 250 on cocaine 2k on clothes 1k on a TV, 700 on a laptop, 1k on social media and the rest on short online courses and food
Original post by Scotney
The danger for you is you lose focus on your studies and end up working in a warehouse forever.

Well whenever I'm not grafting I'm either studying, working out or cooking with the exeption of a beer and Netflix and a bit of social media time
(edited 3 years ago)
on clothes 1k on a TV, 700 on a laptop, 1k on social media and the rest on short online courses and food

Well whenever I'm not grafting I'm either studying, working out or cooking with the exeption of a beer and Netflix and a bit of social media time

You spent 1k on social media? Doing what?
Reply 15
You spent 1k on social media? Doing what?

Sponsoring my pages to get more followers and buying views and likes and more potential sales for my merchandise
Oh sharks what happened? What about 6 days a week and 48 hours? My lifestyle is quite expensive social media etc so I feel like I need to earn as much guape as possible and I wanna add to my 4k savings it will come in handy for uni and for my fork life course which will cost 2.5k and I wanna launch some merchandise so for my business again which interlink with social media and marketing

I do wanna get my a levels yes I'm hoping to be bcc or ccc so I can do a 4 yeae foundation in chemistry at Lincoln then a masters further a field

Sounds like you got your fingers in too many pies. I was working, and then my social life too which meant my studies took a hit. if you over do it with the working and your studies come second, then its going to take a hit. Theres plenty of time for working after exams, so if you are going to work now, do it just with the 1 job; not 2 jobs, social media and course on top.
Sponsoring my pages to get more followers and buying views and likes and more potential sales for my merchandise

Sounds like you are far too busy with other things for university at the moment. Even if you can get the grades while working so much, how are you going to cope with not working and earning as much at university? Being a student is a full time job and involves being super poor, eating terrible cheap food and discount codes & vouchers are used for everything. It is not a glamorous life.

My brother cared about how he appeared. Bought himself a nice car and clothes. Working full time at university. Dropped out in second year as he had failed classes twice over. He ended up studying law in his 30s and learning how to budget then. But he is still the poorest of his friends who finished university in their early 20s. And, of course, his friends now realise his younger success (ballin) was not really success at all.
Reply 18
Sounds like you got your fingers in too many pies. I was working, and then my social life too which meant my studies took a hit. if you over do it with the working and your studies come second, then its going to take a hit. Theres plenty of time for working after exams, so if you are going to work now, do it just with the 1 job; not 2 jobs, social media and course on top.

I don't have much of a social life atm I feel like my work is too important and I'm gonna be doing 6 days a week. Yeah my social media means a lot to me my vlogging, posts, followers etc and hopefully I'll be able to market from it nicely with my merchandise etc although I don't have much time for that atm and it's not a main priority but I'm thinking money of course and a healthy business will add to my income like perhaps I can make an extra £150 profit a week on top of my £500 plus from work Would you say 2 hours a day if revision before my shifts is good and a solid 6 hours on my day off? I'll only have two subjects to sit next summer and perhaps I can just do two days a week on the weeks before my exams and during.
Reply 19
Sounds like you are far too busy with other things for university at the moment. Even if you can get the grades while working so much, how are you going to cope with not working and earning as much at university? Being a student is a full time job and involves being super poor, eating terrible cheap food and discount codes & vouchers are used for everything. It is not a glamorous life.

My brother cared about how he appeared. Bought himself a nice car and clothes. Working full time at university. Dropped out in second year as he had failed classes twice over. He ended up studying law in his 30s and learning how to budget then. But he is still the poorest of his friends who finished university in their early 20s. And, of course, his friends now realise his younger success (ballin) was not really success at all.

Yeah true perhaps I'll have decent savings and I can do a weekend job with decent pay as I should have my forklift license so maybe I could earn like an extra £300 a week that would be solid

I see what you mean I guess studying is more important in the long run but I feel like it's important to do things at my own pace and as years go on my social media base will grow, I should have an OK business with a decent profit and I will get used to studying full time and of course this will better my future

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending