The Student Room Group

Worried about uni 2020

Hi! I’m really worried this year I won’t get the grades I need for uni. I was predicted ABB but I’m scared I’ll be getting a C in maths, given the grading system this year. My firm choice is Lancaster uni to study geography. The grades were AAB but when firmed ABB. They’ve also said they’ll be mindful of you just miss the boundary. I really want to go to uni this year, especially when so many people will be going next year. What’s the likelihood of getting in? And do you think it’s worth continuing maths revision given I don’t get in?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Abbymae02x
Hi! I’m really worried this year I won’t get the grades I need for uni. I was predicted ABB but I’m scared I’ll be getting a C in maths, given the grading system this year. My firm choice is Lancaster uni to study geography. The grades were AAB but when firmed ABB. They’ve also said they’ll be mindful of you just miss the boundary. But isn’t that just to sound polite? I’ve looked on clearing and can’t see any courses I’d like to take, and my insurance uni is the same grades as my firm. I really want to go to uni this year, especially when so many people will be going next year. What’s the likelihood of getting in? And do you think it’s worth continuing maths revision given I don’t get in?

Lancaster wouldn't have said it just to be polite, unis will try to be accommodating this year if they possibly can be but of course there are no guarantees they will be able to offer you a place if you get a C in Maths (it will depend on how all their other applicants do also and on how many ask to defer). It is still possible they would offer you a place even if you don't get ABB and the same goes for your Insurance choice too.

And with regard to you not fancying anything appearing in Clearing so far, it doesn't even officially open until tomorrow and lots more unis and courses will be advertising vacancies throughout the Clearing period, especially in August when the A level results come out.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi! I’m really worried this year I won’t get the grades I need for uni. I was predicted ABB but I’m scared I’ll be getting a C in maths, given the grading system this year. My firm choice is Lancaster uni to study geography. The grades were AAB but when firmed ABB. They’ve also said they’ll be mindful of you just miss the boundary. I really want to go to uni this year, especially when so many people will be going next year. What’s the likelihood of getting in? And do you think it’s worth continuing maths revision given I don’t get in?

They will be considerate, given the fact some students will want to defer this year, more than usual. But nothing is a guarantee, so I would continue to do those math's studies so you can do a re-take. I would also look at clearing options as well as a back up plan. There's some pretty decent unis out there. I hope you do get in though :smile:
There will be many universities in clearing on results days and very good ones at that. Bristol had Geography in clearing last year and I believe Exeter did in Penryn as well. There will be many others. I suspect Lancaster will accept 1 with 1 grade below. Most universities will.

Hi @Abbymae02x,
I think ultimately this year no one knows what will happen! Universities are just as unsure in terms of how many places they will be able to fill - everyone might get their predicted grades, or everyone might defer!
I know it's nerve-racking but if you do miss the grades, I'd advice calling Lancaster as soon as you can on results day to chat to someone in clearing and see what you can do!
Charlotte :smile:
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending