The Student Room Group

Physique

Male, 17.

I’m a bit unhappy with how my body is. I’m a healthy weight (70kg) but I feel like my body just looks **** ugly.

I have most of my fat and muscle around my thighs, quads and glutes, then my upper body looks really bony and frail. I can see my abs slightly.

My issue is that I really hate exercise. I always feel terrible after, with DOMS that lasts several days every time I exercise. I don’t find it fun unless it’s a game such as football or tennis, (neither of which are possible at the moment). I’m stupidly injury prone. I am always too sluggish to get up and go for a run/cycle. It’s a nightmare. It also doesn’t help that i’m always hungry and eating snacks. Healthy meals make me miserable since the food I like (semi-unhealthy) is pretty much the only thing that gets me through the day smiling. I also think my posture is another issue making me look worse.

It’s really affecting my body image and performance in sport. Some tips would be much appreciated.
(edited 3 years ago)
hi, i’m a 16yr old girl so i’m sorry if i’m not help but i can try? first of all i can relate to you, i’m classed as healthy weight (58kgs) for my height and age etc but i have fat in the exact places i don’t want it to be. annoyingly, it’s known that you cant chose where you put on fat and where you lose it, so if you wanted to gain fat on your upper body i think that’s gonna be super hard :frown: if you want to gain muscle it’s a lot easier, by doing targeted workouts for abs/back muscles/biceps etc etc then you can build up the muscle exactly where you want, but you probably already knew that lol. i know you hate exercise (and so do i really, cant do jogging to save my life lolll) but if you enjoy sprinting like i do, doing sprint exercises or just cardio can burn general fat but you cant really target where :frown: it’s defo not easy trying to lose fat or gain fat where you want, i wish it was easier but please don’t feel miserable about yourself, work on your self confidence because that’s a non-exercise way to fix your image of yourself. i know it’s hard but so many people struggle with self confidence aswell, but please don’t put yourself down for having “fatty thighs” or whatever your problem may be, i’m sure you don’t and nobody is perfect so don’t try to be :smile:
Hi mate, if you rarely exercise then it’s to be expected that you’ll get DOMS for a long period after. If you’re consistent and keep it up though then your body will adapt and the DOMS will become much, much less severe. You’ve just gotta stick with it. Try and find stuff you enjoy or find a sport you enjoy that you can do regularly. If you can’t do then atm then try exercising in other ways but with the goal of improving performance in that sport, as you may find motivation easier this way. E.g. go on a run with the intention of improving your aerobic fitness for football.
Reply 3
Original post by annabel_39
hi, i’m a 16yr old girl so i’m sorry if i’m not help but i can try? first of all i can relate to you, i’m classed as healthy weight (58kgs) for my height and age etc but i have fat in the exact places i don’t want it to be. annoyingly, it’s known that you cant chose where you put on fat and where you lose it, so if you wanted to gain fat on your upper body i think that’s gonna be super hard :frown: if you want to gain muscle it’s a lot easier, by doing targeted workouts for abs/back muscles/biceps etc etc then you can build up the muscle exactly where you want, but you probably already knew that lol. i know you hate exercise (and so do i really, cant do jogging to save my life lolll) but if you enjoy sprinting like i do, doing sprint exercises or just cardio can burn general fat but you cant really target where :frown: it’s defo not easy trying to lose fat or gain fat where you want, i wish it was easier but please don’t feel miserable about yourself, work on your self confidence because that’s a non-exercise way to fix your image of yourself. i know it’s hard but so many people struggle with self confidence aswell, but please don’t put yourself down for having “fatty thighs” or whatever your problem may be, i’m sure you don’t and nobody is perfect so don’t try to be :smile:

Thank you :-) It’s certainly something I will work on at the same time. I feel like I should at least make an effort to improve how I look at the same time though. I’d like to be a better performer at sport, all I can do is sprint with these massive legs of mine :3 I think I need to find some good exercises to build muscle. I went to the gym about 3 times a week last year for about 3 months and saw no difference other than in performance. :/
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Nutritionist
Hi mate, if you rarely exercise then it’s to be expected that you’ll get DOMS for a long period after. If you’re consistent and keep it up though then your body will adapt and the DOMS will become much, much less severe. You’ve just gotta stick with it. Try and find stuff you enjoy or find a sport you enjoy that you can do regularly. If you can’t do then atm then try exercising in other ways but with the goal of improving performance in that sport, as you may find motivation easier this way. E.g. go on a run with the intention of improving your aerobic fitness for football.

I see what you mean, but going for runs is a real mood killer for me... It’s too repetitive and I never know how long/far I should be running for to burn enough calories.
What I got from this is that u have poor self esteem and cba to workout. I mean if ure concerned about ure body do something about it.

You say you don’t like ure body image but that eating healthy makes u miserable and u hate exercise.

Bro only when your dislike of your body is greater than ure dislike of exercise and eating healthy will u acc do something about it. Until then it’s just gonna be “oh I don’t like myself but don’t wanna do all the things that will help me so I’ll just stay and complain about my current physique”
Also for posture, just find some videos on yt and do them daily.. job done

Sorry if the above was a bit harsh but I’m just getting a real victim vibe.

“What you don’t change, you choose”
Reply 6
Original post by Otherdjrj
What I got from this is that u have poor self esteem and cba to workout. I mean if ure concerned about ure body do something about it.

You say you don’t like ure body image but that eating healthy makes u miserable and u hate exercise.

Bro only when your dislike of your body is greater than ure dislike of exercise and eating healthy will u acc do something about it. Until then it’s just gonna be “oh I don’t like myself but don’t wanna do all the things that will help me so I’ll just stay and complain about my current physique”
Also for posture, just find some videos on yt and do them daily.. job done

Sorry if the above was a bit harsh but I’m just getting a real victim vibe.

“What you don’t change, you choose”

Hmm okay. I understand. Do you perhaps have any good sources of information on the topic?
Original post by Squirmz
Hmm okay. I understand. Do you perhaps have any good sources of information on the topic?

Which topic? (Also that just reminded of that chocolate bar ‘Topic’ mmmmmm)
Reply 8
Original post by Otherdjrj
Which topic? (Also that just reminded of that chocolate bar ‘Topic’ mmmmmm)

Good exercises and diet plans? The internet hasn’t come up with anything worthwhile so far...

Quick Reply

Latest