The Student Room Group

Y9 & GCSE students - how you study?

Hi guys!!

I'm an Imperial College London medical student and if there are any year 9 or GCSE students out there, I was just wondering what sort of resources you use to study?

And what you like or dislike about them!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I’m in year 11 and I love a funky and funny tune about a subject topic to get me into the mood :biggrin:
Um I'm in year 10 and I know this is not related to your question but I would like to do medicine in Imperial as well. So do you have any advice or answer my questions. Thanks :biggrin:

I mainly make notes from youtube videos and animations help a lot. But sometimes I just make notes from a text book and read them over but flash cards aren't helpful
(edited 3 years ago)
HI I am in year 9 currently I use freesciencelessons -youtube channel
for maths I'm not that good can't say really I just get good enough to stay in set 1
for English I'm not that good but I most people who achieve high grades use the CGP english books
In science I use the pearon books I attain high grades with these it is I didn't use them and I dropped from 9 to 6/7
For computer science I try to do the best I can for a task I have a passion for computing I will do the task at home and refine it such as with the NEA I was in set 3 (lowest) then set 1 I got 9's and 8's but we have only done the coding part of the curriculum.

If there's anything else I am happy to respond!
Original post by SuperiorPotato
Um I'm in year 10 and I know this is not related to your question but I would like to do medicine in Imperial as well. So do you have any advice or answer my questions. Thanks :biggrin:

me tooooo im applying for imperial it's my dream uni
Original post by rxyaltyx

Ayyeee :five: and we're both doing medicine
Ayyeee :five: and we're both doing medicine

yuppp
everyone is saying bad things about how studying medicine is really hard and it's kinda putting me off (i don't want to not do medicine tho lol)
Original post by Moonbow
I’m in year 11 and I love a funky and funny tune about a subject topic to get me into the mood :biggrin:

Haha, love that. Would you mind telling me a bit more about whether you use flashcards, textbooks, online resources (and if so what) or anything else and what you like or dislike about them :smile:

I mainly make notes from youtube videos and animations help a lot. But sometimes I just make notes from a text book and read them over but flash cards aren't helpful

Hiyaa, of course, you can send me any questions you have and I don't mind replying! :biggrin:

Okay, that's very interesting. What do you like and dislike about making notes from yt or textbooks and why don't you find flashcards useful?
Original post by Smart-Le
Hiyaa, of course, you can send me any questions you have and I don't mind replying! :biggrin:

Okay, that's very interesting. What do you like and dislike about making notes from yt or textbooks and why don't you find flashcards useful?

I was wondering how life as a medical student is at Imperial because I've heard it's very work heavy and you barely have time for a job?

I find it easy to retain notes as they are so taking notes down is easy for me. Animated videos help me with remembering specific facts and are overall pleasing to take notes from as they look nice to the eyes. Flashcards with the questions at the back just don't work for me I can't do quick fire questions and notes like that. :redface:
Original post by sdniufheoiw
HI I am in year 9 currently I use freesciencelessons -youtube channel
for maths I'm not that good can't say really I just get good enough to stay in set 1
for English I'm not that good but I most people who achieve high grades use the CGP english books
In science I use the pearon books I attain high grades with these it is I didn't use them and I dropped from 9 to 6/7
For computer science I try to do the best I can for a task I have a passion for computing I will do the task at home and refine it such as with the NEA I was in set 3 (lowest) then set 1 I got 9's and 8's but we have only done the coding part of the curriculum.

If there's anything else I am happy to respond!

Hiyaa, thank you so much for the post!

Could you answer a couple of questions for me please :smile:
What do you like and dislike about yt as a studying resource and also do you like using textbooks and what do you like/dislike about them?

Hiii

Sure, send any questions you have and I'd be glad to answer them!

Would you mind also answering some of my questions too:
Which resources do you use to study (for maths and sciences mainly) and what do you like and dislike about them? :smile:
yuppp
everyone is saying bad things about how studying medicine is really hard and it's kinda putting me off (i don't want to not do medicine tho lol)

Aww no, medicine is great!! Please @SuperiorPotato and @rxyaltyx let me know any questions you might have about studying medicine, studying at Imperial or just getting through A-levels haha.

@SuperiorPotato What sort of resources do you use whilst studying??
Aww no, medicine is great!! Please @SuperiorPotato and @rxyaltyx let me know any questions you might have about studying medicine, studying at Imperial or just getting through A-levels haha.

@SuperiorPotato What sort of resources do you use whilst studying??

No I love medicine and definitely want to do it. I just don't understand how the lessons are set up and exactly what we do.

I use my CGP textbook, Youtube videos and school book
Hiyaa, thank you so much for the post!

Could you answer a couple of questions for me please :smile:
What do you like and dislike about yt as a studying resource and also do you like using textbooks and what do you like/dislike about them?

Yeah sure!
Youtube is a very very good study resource many times I have a lesson taking 1 hour I don't really get the concept but when I watch a 4 minute youtube video I get the concept that quickly.
I like using textbooks on the whole they do explain concepts, ideas and how to work through problems. I don't really have a negative about textbooks it's up to the person who uses it.
No I love medicine and definitely want to do it. I just don't understand how the lessons are set up and exactly what we do.

I use my CGP textbook, Youtube videos and school book

Well, the way you are taught varies according to which university you apply to/end up going to.

I can only really speak on behalf of Imperial, so a really quick summarised version:
We have lectures and small group tutorials in the first two years - you cover lots of physiology (so how things work in the body) and some pathology.
The third year is entirely clinical, so you have 10weeks in medicine, surgery and GP and you learn lots (this is a great year!)
4th year is your BSc, so you get to pick which BSc you would like to do (so for me that's gastroenterology and herpetology) and you have some projects and assignments but no written exams.
5th year is a difficult year - you cover lots of pathology, paediatrics, obs & gyn (so female conditions) and psychiatry (these are all placements at the hospital so clinical like 3rd year but you get to do more stuff)
6th year is very very busy as you have hospital plaements but you're also revising for the SJT (but no need to think about that now)

Hope that helps you to have a brief idea of how medicine works. I think as long as you put the work in and you enjoy medicine then it really is the subject to go for!

Thank you for the resources, could I ask what you like and dislike about each one?
Original post by sdniufheoiw
Yeah sure!
Youtube is a very very good study resource many times I have a lesson taking 1 hour I don't really get the concept but when I watch a 4 minute youtube video I get the concept that quickly.
I like using textbooks on the whole they do explain concepts, ideas and how to work through problems. I don't really have a negative about textbooks it's up to the person who uses it.

Thank you so much!! Do you think it's the illustrations on youtube that help you to understand more quickly or because it's taught better or anything else??

Regarding the textbooks, do you just write notes based on it? Do you make flashcards or revisit your notes? Oh, or do you just highlight the important points in the textbook as you read?
Well, the way you are taught varies according to which university you apply to/end up going to.

I can only really speak on behalf of Imperial, so a really quick summarised version:
We have lectures and small group tutorials in the first two years - you cover lots of physiology (so how things work in the body) and some pathology.
The third year is entirely clinical, so you have 10weeks in medicine, surgery and GP and you learn lots (this is a great year!)
4th year is your BSc, so you get to pick which BSc you would like to do (so for me that's gastroenterology and herpetology) and you have some projects and assignments but no written exams.
5th year is a difficult year - you cover lots of pathology, paediatrics, obs & gyn (so female conditions) and psychiatry (these are all placements at the hospital so clinical like 3rd year but you get to do more stuff)
6th year is very very busy as you have hospital plaements but you're also revising for the SJT (but no need to think about that now)

Hope that helps you to have a brief idea of how medicine works. I think as long as you put the work in and you enjoy medicine then it really is the subject to go for!

Thank you for the resources, could I ask what you like and dislike about each one?

Thank you for that :woo:

Well youtube has moving animations so easier to remember however it is hard to find a good video like that and sometimes the information doesn't match up to the ones taught in school.
Notes are very detailed and summarise the subject however it feels overwhelming to look at and kind of crowded.
CGP textbooks are very helpful with the highlighted sections of important info and it's understandable content however the questions are too easy.
Thank you for that :woo:

Well youtube has moving animations so easier to remember however it is hard to find a good video like that and sometimes the information doesn't match up to the ones taught in school.
Notes are very detailed and summarise the subject however it feels overwhelming to look at and kind of crowded.
CGP textbooks are very helpful with the highlighted sections of important info and it's understandable content however the questions are too easy.

That's okay, let me know if you have any other questions!

That's great, thank you for your reply :biggrin:
Hi guys!!

I'm an Imperial College London medical student and if there are any year 9 or GCSE students out there, I was just wondering what sort of resources you use to study?

And what you like or dislike about them!

I use my textbook and yt channels. I use textbooks as they are approved by my specification so I know if I learn all of it it would make it easier however sometimes it’s tricky to grasp the concept by just reading that’s why I like watching YouTube video as it’s being spoken- hope that makes sense! :smile:

Also, how well did u do in ur GCSE’s and A-Levels (what grades) in order to be accepted into medicine. Thank you! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest