The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level Maths - How do the exam modules work?

I'm self teaching A Level maths to sit in May/June 2021 exams.

My local college will allow me to register as a private candidate.

How do the modules work?

This is what I've gathered so far:

Compulsory:
C1, C2, C3, C4

+

Choice between S1, S2, OR M1, M2

Is this correct?

I've ordered C1 - 4 books but not sure about the other needed modules?

(want to eventually go into electrical engineering)

Scroll to see replies

Alright so there's C1 and C2 which would be considered AS level in terms of content. You'd have to pick between M1, S1 , M2 or S2 along with them. You then have C3 and C4 which are A2 level and along with them you choose an additional module. So let's say you picked M1 for AS, you can then choose either M2 or S1 for your A2.
Original post by Yourboi720
Alright so there's C1 and C2 which would be considered AS level in terms of content. You'd have to pick between M1, S1 , M2 or S2 along with them. You then have C3 and C4 which are A2 level and along with them you choose an additional module. So let's say you picked M1 for AS, you can then choose either M2 or S1 for your A2.

Would you pick mechanics or statistics for engineering / EE ?
Original post by iDeano
Would you pick mechanics or statistics for engineering / EE ?

I did both, for engineering, I'd definitely go for mechanics if I were you, it won't really effect your odds of acceptance if you pick statistics but taking mechanics would be better for your own knowledge.
I did both, for engineering, I'd definitely go for mechanics if I were you, it won't really effect your odds of acceptance if you pick statistics but taking mechanics would be better for your own knowledge.

Note: I have from now until May (edexcel Maths dates) to be ready for the exams.

(Spending July revisiting GCSE maths)

I'm a mature student btw.
Original post by iDeano
Note: I have from now until May (edexcel Maths dates) to be ready for the exams.

(Spending July revisiting GCSE maths)

I'm a mature student btw.

Taking all four core units and 2 additional units in one year is going to be extremely difficult, it is possible but it's gonna take a lot of dedication and work on your end. I personally wouldn't recommend it but if you really think you're capable, go for it.
Taking all four core units and 2 additional units in one year is going to be extremely difficult, it is possible but it's gonna take a lot of dedication and work on your end. I personally wouldn't recommend it but if you really think you're capable, go for it.

I'm a mature student. Doing access to Science Course at college and will do A Level maths if possible independently.

My plan is actually to go onto an engineering foundation degree - so even if I get a C at A Level maths then I would consider myself prepared (as foundation is same level as A Levels + bit harder) :smile:

Is that logical or am I deluded? haha
Original post by iDeano
I'm a mature student. Doing access to Science Course at college and will do A Level maths if possible independently.

My plan is actually to go onto an engineering foundation degree - so even if I get a C at A Level maths then I would consider myself prepared (as foundation is same level as A Levels + bit harder) :smile:

Is that logical or am I deluded? haha

As long as you know the difficulty of the task, you definitely aren't delusional, getting a C or even a B is definitely possible, you're just gonna need to work hard. I wish you the best of luck and I really hope you succeed.
Original post by iDeano
I'm self teaching A Level maths to sit in May/June 2021 exams.

My local college will allow me to register as a private candidate.

How do the modules work?

This is what I've gathered so far:

Compulsory:
C1, C2, C3, C4

+

Choice between S1, S2, OR M1, M2

Is this correct?

I've ordered C1 - 4 books but not sure about the other needed modules?

(want to eventually go into electrical engineering)

Are you studying the International A Level (as the modules you are talking about are no longer valid for the new linear A level)?
Reply 9
I need to double check if you are studying the UK or international specification as the UK A-Level maths specification changed in 2017.

I believe now you will be studying for three papers:
- Paper 1: Pure maths,
- Paper 2: Pure maths,
- Paper 3: Applied (mechanics and statistics).

This is according to Edexcel's subject guide (page 4, https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/Teaching%20and%20learning%20materials/A0064%20A%20level%20Maths%20Quals%20Subject%20Guide.pdf , from https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/mathematics-2017.coursematerials.html#%2FfilterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FTeaching-and-learning-materials ).

Specification.png
What type of electrical Engineering are you planning on going into?

For example, if you were wanting to go into communications you would definatly want to take statistics.
As long as you know the difficulty of the task, you definitely aren't delusional, getting a C or even a B is definitely possible, you're just gonna need to work hard. I wish you the best of luck and I really hope you succeed.

Thanks, I will finish up GCSE higher this week and probably study for A Level Maths between 2 - 4 hours a day until April time.

(Note I'm completing an Access to HE in Science alongside this)

Original post by mathstutor24
Are you studying the International A Level (as the modules you are talking about are no longer valid for the new linear A level)?

I'm going to take the new linear A Level exams. C1, 2, 3, 4 are still relevant to paper 1 and 2 it just has a different name right?

Original post by simon0
I need to double check if you are studying the UK or international specification as the UK A-Level maths specification changed in 2017.

I believe now you will be studying for three papers:
- Paper 1: Pure maths,
- Paper 2: Pure maths,
- Paper 3: Applied (mechanics and statistics).

This is according to Edexcel's subject guide (page 4, https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/Teaching%20and%20learning%20materials/A0064%20A%20level%20Maths%20Quals%20Subject%20Guide.pdf , from https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/mathematics-2017.coursematerials.html#%2FfilterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FTeaching-and-learning-materials ).

Specification.png

My assumption was

Paper 1 = C1, C2
Paper 2 = C3, C4
Paper 3 = Mech or Stats?

Original post by Josh279
What type of electrical Engineering are you planning on going into?

For example, if you were wanting to go into communications you would defiantly want to take statistics.

I have a keen interest in renewable energy and power.

Communications doesn't excite me in the slightest.
If you're sitting the new linear A level (and I think you would have to), you don't want to get books for the old A level, and you don't get to choose your modules.
Original post by Theloniouss
If you're sitting the new linear A level (and I think you would have to), you don't want to get books for the old A level, and you don't get to choose your modules.

Source for some decent books?
Original post by iDeano
Source for some decent books?

Just get the recommended ones. This is the first Pure book, there's another pure and (I think) two applied books, but there might only be one applied.
Reply 15
Your first post is based on outdated information and so is the first reply.

There are no modules. You sit 3 papers, two of which are pure maths, and the third is statistics and mechanics. In the base A-level there is no choice of modules, everyone studies the same topics.

Any pure topic from either of the pure maths textbooks can come up on either of the pure papers. There are no paper-specific topics like there used to be.
Just get the recommended ones. This is the first Pure book, there's another pure and (I think) two applied books, but there might only be one applied.

I've bought all of C1, 2, 3, 4 already

Should I keep them for referencing and extra resource or not bother?
Original post by iDeano

You might as well. They have useful questions, but it's worth checking the specification for if a topic is also on the new exams.
You might as well. They have useful questions, but it's worth checking the specification for if a topic is also on the new exams.

I mean I got C1 - 4 for £12 second hand off amazon :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by iDeano

They are great resources but depending on your budget you can find the Pearson Edexcel A level Mathematics Pure year 1, 2 and applied year 1, 2 online.
If you search enough you can find the books necessary for the new linear Maths course
The old ones don't contain certain content needed for the new A level and some of it has been removed.

Quick Reply

Latest