The Student Room Group

how privileged was your upbringing?

mine was overly privileged , just a normal house that was bought , nothing overly fancy.

Scroll to see replies

Quite.
Reply 2
not very
Reply 3
Very
Reply 4
very. I had and still have simple living conditions because my parents spent money on experiences, not toys. I would not change a bit of it.🍣🥑🍣🤤😱😬🤣
Financially? No. Encouraged to do whatever I wanted in life? Absolutely. So I'd say privileged where it counts.
Reply 6
From an educational and financial perspective, I'd say better than a lot of people but experienced my fair share of issues too
Reply 7
Very very privileged economically wise, family wise everyone has always supported me but my family did kind of fall apart :/ Rn education wise and support wise could not be better, not as good financially as before but still privileged I’d say bc I get put first. Can’t complain much, although I have been through a lot and lost a lot 😔
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Denyy
mine was overly privileged , just a normal house that was bought , nothing overly fancy.

Varied at 2 extremes but now balanced in the middle
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Very

Sameeeeee
I was born into a poor family and I live in quite a poor area but because I’m white I’m super duper privileged apparently.
Reply 11
Financially privileged, but not in a very privileged area at all. My mum had a really good job but meant she was always at work. My dad on the other hand...😣 literal skinhead EDL supporter lol. Completely useless. So in that way, not so privileged.
Less than average, but not by too much.
Original post by Hudds999
I was born into a poor family and I live in quite a poor area but because I’m white I’m super duper privileged apparently.

Misconception. White privelige simply means that white people are not disadvantaged by account of their race.
Original post by Daveological
Misconception. White privelige simply means that white people are not disadvantaged by account of their race.

In my opinion, and this is just my opinion, it has all to do with class inequality and much less to do with race. The idea of white privilege comes from the fact that a majority of BAME people come under the lower classes and the poorer classes within our society. But a lot of white people also come under the lower classes too, and people within the lower classes of society are clearly not as privileged as a person born into a rich family in the centre of London. This is why I find it hard to come to terms with the phrase ‘white privilege.’

Society is unfavourable to the poorer parts of our society and because the fact that a lot of BAME people fall under that category, is the reason why people bring forwards the idea of racial inequality and white privilege. I don’t want to say that it’s completely ******** though, I understand that black people are much more likely to be stop and searched by the police, and I guess that would be an example of the white privilege you speak of. I just don’t like how easily it’s branded round these days, people will probably say ‘oh you’re not allowed to have an opinion on this matter as you’re a privileged white male bla bla bla.’ It’s a tricky one.
Reply 14
Original post by Diplomatic
Financially? No. Encouraged to do whatever I wanted in life? Absolutely. So I'd say privileged where it counts.

same
Reply 15

ur socio economic status and race are two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT things
Original post by Diplomatic

I'd disagree having supportive parents is a 'privilege', it's more the bare minimum of parenting standards... :biggrin:
In my opinion, and this is just my opinion, it has all to do with class inequality and much less to do with race. The idea of white privilege comes from the fact that a majority of BAME people come under the lower classes and the poorer classes within our society. But a lot of white people also come under the lower classes too, and people within the lower classes of society are clearly not as privileged as a person born into a rich family in the centre of London. This is why I find it hard to come to terms with the phrase ‘white privilege.’

Society is unfavourable to the poorer parts of our society and because the fact that a lot of BAME people fall under that category, is the reason why people bring forwards the idea of racial inequality and white privilege. I don’t want to say that it’s completely ******** though, I understand that black people are much more likely to be stop and searched by the police, and I guess that would be an example of the white privilege you speak of. I just don’t like how easily it’s branded round these days, people will probably say ‘oh you’re not allowed to have an opinion on this matter as you’re a privileged white male bla bla bla.’ It’s a tricky one.

Prsom
Everyone must be allowed an opinion. That’s part of equality
Original post by Aryz
ur socio economic status and race are two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT things

Read my post above pal.
Reply 19
Original post by CTLeafez
I'd disagree having supportive parents is a 'privilege', it's more the bare minimum of parenting standards... :biggrin:

yh but some people dont even have the bare minimum as u say so yes there is privilege in having support

Quick Reply

Latest