The Student Room Group

Wizzair didn't let me travel at Gatwick

I bought tickets to go to Budapest in Hungary with my UK passport and Gatwick Airport denied me access to enter the plane because of not having a form filled out prior, a form from the Hungarian police which I didn't fill out.

However, my friend went with wizzair at Luton Airport and he was allowed to board the plane.

How is this fair?

They also won't refund me
Reply 1
It's fair and legal to stop you boarding if you don't have the correct paperwork to travel to another country.
Original post by Surnia
It's fair and legal to stop you boarding if you don't have the correct paperwork to travel to another country.

Yeah but why did luton airport allow my mate to travel with a UK Passport and also without the required documentation? Really unfair
Original post by Random_user45
Yeah but why did luton airport allow my mate to travel with a UK Passport and also without the required documentation? Really unfair

Other people being let away with something is unfortunate, not unfair.

life can suck deeply my friend.
I literally looked all week for information, I looked on gov.com and it didn't say this. They treated UK citizens as EU citizens until the 31st of December 2020. So I don't know how or when this was published!

Also, with Hungary being a member of the EU, they should have the form in clear English but it is very loosely translated and some questions are in Hungarian. It would be hard for people who don't read Hungarian to understand the questions. It's just in shambles.

My friend didn't slip through, Luton allowed him on. If the government requires this document then why are some airports adhering to it and others not. It's really stupid. It's basically a form of discrimination.
It's basically Gatwick being idiots and consequently making me not board my flight because of a stupid form regarding coronavirus which wants to know my contact details.

THE HUNGARIAN BORDERS WOULD HAVE ASKED ME THAT OR TO FILL IT OUT AT THE BORDERS. IT TAKES 5MINUTES. EVEN IF I DIDN'T FILL IT OUT IT WON'T BE THE END OF THE WORLD. BLM HAPPENS NO ONE SAYS A THING ABOUT CORONAVIRUS BUT ME WANTING TO TRAVEL IS A CONCERN. DOWNRIGHT STUPIDITY
It's basically Gatwick being idiots and consequently making me not board my flight because of a stupid form regarding coronavirus which wants to know my contact details.

THE HUNGARIAN BORDERS WOULD HAVE ASKED ME THAT OR TO FILL IT OUT AT THE BORDERS. IT TAKES 5MINUTES. EVEN IF I DIDN'T FILL IT OUT IT WON'T BE THE END OF THE WORLD. BLM HAPPENS NO ONE SAYS A THING ABOUT CORONAVIRUS BUT ME WANTING TO TRAVEL IS A CONCERN. DOWNRIGHT STUPIDITY

It still is your fault though
Reply 8
I literally looked all week for information, I looked on gov.com and it didn't say this. They treated UK citizens as EU citizens until the 31st of December 2020. So I don't know how or when this was published!

Also, with Hungary being a member of the EU, they should have the form in clear English but it is very loosely translated and some questions are in Hungarian. It would be hard for people who don't read Hungarian to understand the questions. It's just in shambles.

My friend didn't slip through, Luton allowed him on. If the government requires this document then why are some airports adhering to it and others not. It's really stupid. It's basically a form of discrimination.

Go on gov.uk and type 'travel to Hungary' in the search bar; takes seconds to find that you need to submit paperwork in advance, exactly as Vexper says.

gov.com is an American website.
Ok sorry lol.

So was it introduced on the 1st of July?
Reply 10
You want to enter another country (their country) mid-pandemic. They can set their own policies and procedures without cowing to the sight of a British passport... the empire is over.

If you do not like it or you aren't sensible enough to look at the travel advice before you set off then don't travel.
Original post by FRS500
You want to enter another country (their country) mid-pandemic. They can set their own policies and procedures without cowing to the sight of a British passport... the empire is over.

If you do not like it or you aren't sensible enough to look at the travel advice before you set off then don't travel.

True. I'm not saying nothing about another country setting their rules and regulations. I am stating the fact how Gatwick Airport are stricter than Luton because my mate travelled the exact same way as me with a British passport except through luton and at the border in Hungary they did not request the required documentation. So had they allowed me at Gatwick to board the plane, I would have passed the border at Hungary. The fact I was denied entry makes me angry at Gatwick because Luton allowed my friend to board the plane. Absolutely nothing to do with what country sets whatever rules. It isn't immature of me to say this is unfair and it baffles me.
Reply 12
True. I'm not saying nothing about another country setting their rules and regulations. I am stating the fact how Gatwick Airport are stricter than Luton because my mate travelled the exact same way as me with a British passport except through luton and at the border in Hungary they did not request the required documentation. So had they allowed me at Gatwick to board the plane, I would have passed the border at Hungary. The fact I was denied entry makes me angry at Gatwick because Luton allowed my friend to board the plane. Absolutely nothing to do with what country sets whatever rules. It isn't immature of me to say this is unfair and it baffles me.

This isn't a 'Gatwick Airport' issue per-se. LGW wouldn't have had any control over this.

It would have been the airline/ their handling agents who would have denied you boarding.

This is literally them acting on what they've been told by Hungarian authorities, it really isn't in WizzAir's interests to offload a passenger from a flight. It causes administrative headache and wastes time at the last minute.

Unfortunately you made a mistake and it proved a costly one this time, staff at another airport skirting the rules isn't enough.
Reply 13
If you really aren't happy the only thing you can do at this point is refer to the Hungarians tbh and put a complaint in.

At least you'll get some sort of clarification.
Original post by FRS500
If you really aren't happy the only thing you can do at this point is refer to the Hungarians tbh and put a complaint in.

At least you'll get some sort of clarification.

Yeah, I'm also angry with how the staff were at Gatwick Airport. They disregarded me and were not very helpful. I asked them what the problem was and if there was any way to fix it but they didn't give me an answer, they just said they're not sure and told me to follow them to the exit. I also had international identification, Croatian ID on me so I probably would have been able to travel with that to Hungary but they didn't wanna hear it which really angered me. I'm also very shocked that I was able to make such a mistake although I did read all travel advice. I have never been denied boarding on a plane so it was very distressing to hear I wasn't able to board. It also cost me £500 which makes it worse.
Its taught me now to always read something 100 times.
Guess it was my fault then, I own up to it. I just wanted to know your opinions.

But even though it was my fault, I will never be recommending Gatwick airport. Management is just stricter there.

Quick Reply

Latest