The Student Room Group

IB Results Day 2020: Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xCaHx
so scared rn, i'm applying in clearing too so i've been scrolling through vacancies but tbh it looks like i'll have to wait until scottish results/a level results day to find a place.

Clearing Plus is currently recommending me all kinds of crap, if they can see my grades already i'm actually a failure lol

When do you find out your grades? Not sure Clearing Plus is optamised that way and I wouldn't read too much into it. @StrawberryDreams can you confirm?
Reply 41
Original post by Euphoria101
How come you have to wait?:frown:

I can definitely call around and try to get a place today - but not all universities have a clearing line or are opening for clearing today. My first choice would be Edinburgh for Social Work (if I get 30 points) and they only open on scottish results day - they don't know how many free places they have yet
Original post by xCaHx
so scared rn, i'm applying in clearing too so i've been scrolling through vacancies but tbh it looks like i'll have to wait until scottish results/a level results day to find a place.

Clearing Plus is currently recommending me all kinds of crap, if they can see my grades already i'm actually a failure lol

Hey!

Did you get your grades today, or are you applying through clearing without grades? What kind of stuff is Clearing Plus recommending? If you let me know I can try and see what's might be happening as Clearing Plus is a new feature :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by Evil Homer
When do you find out your grades? Not sure Clearing Plus is optamised that way and I wouldn't read too much into it. @StrawberryDreams can you confirm?

So it was really interesting - I can see that courses that appear on the general UCAS search aren't available for me when I search for them in Clearing Plus. For ref, for Warwick example I get 3 language-related courses (which would make sense, I took Swedish as a second language and most likely have scored a 6/7 and I'm getting language/politics degrees recommended) but for Birmingham Social Work doesn't appear for me, but Psychology at Birmingham does. So it's like, did I score below 32 points (which Bham want for SW), can they tell what my grade is and am I not part of that target group? I hope you get what I mean
Original post by hmnk
I completely understand. I might lose my university place because I was given a 4 in English however, I needed a 5. This is very unfair since my prediction was a 5, and I always got straight 5s in mock exams. this makes no sense. I also got one mark lower for business but the other subjects were what I expected. In total, I was predicted a 41 but I got a 39. If my uni rejects me, I'm gonna ask for a remark in English and if they don't change the grade, I will have to apply to another uni which is just so unfair. I have been dreaming about going to this uni and this whole situation is making me so sad

Yeah, I was predicted a 7 in Maths, always got 90%, 85%, 98% in mocks; got a 4. It isn't my result, its based on an algorithm which has dehumanised me into a point score. I can't believe I have to resit because of a stupid virus. All of my grades are similarly decreased. I went down 9 points. 9! I had never gotten this low, I am not the same as a person sitting the exam in my school a year ago, two years ago.
Original post by xCaHx
So it was really interesting - I can see that courses that appear on the general UCAS search aren't available for me when I search for them in Clearing Plus. For ref, for Warwick example I get 3 language-related courses (which would make sense, I took Swedish as a second language and most likely have scored a 6/7 and I'm getting language/politics degrees recommended) but for Birmingham Social Work doesn't appear for me, but Psychology at Birmingham does. So it's like, did I score below 32 points (which Bham want for SW), can they tell what my grade is and am I not part of that target group? I hope you get what I mean

If you are getting a combination of both universities you would expect 32 and below, then I'm pretty sure they won't be targetting based on grades that you don't even know about yet!
Original post by anonymous240
Yeah, I was predicted a 7 in Maths, always got 90%, 85%, 98% in mocks; got a 4. It isn't my result, its based on an algorithm which has dehumanised me into a point score. I can't believe I have to resit because of a stupid virus. All of my grades are similarly decreased. I went down 9 points. 9! I had never gotten this low, I am not the same as a person sitting the exam in my school a year ago, two years ago.

can u try and challenge the grade instead of retaking?
Original post by anonymous240

Hey really sorry to hear this. Have you been able to speak to your teachers about your grade yet?
Original post by Thomas152
looking at these stories above definitely makes me worried. Although I do feel like my IAs were good, you can't help the feeling that the IB will screw you over. Especially since my uni conditionals are quite close to my predicted

Yeah I mean, my IA's were 'good'. They were all high 6 or 7s and then I was squashed down anyway. Ended up with 9 points lower than predicted, my school sat exams anyway (just to give us a send off) and I got 42 in total with 3 extra points. 42! in comparison to 33.
Original post by Evil Homer
Hey really sorry to hear this. Have you been able to speak to your teachers about your grade yet?

Yes, they suggest resitting.

Original post by Gent2324
can u try and challenge the grade instead of retaking?

We're also going to try that.
Original post by xCaHx

Yeah so as EH said, I'm pretty sure they won't be targeting you if you don't have your grades yet, it may just be based on your courses and what previous students in a similar demographic may have done. I also can't see Social Work in Clearing for Birmingham yet so it may be that they are being highly selective based on other criteria and not necessarily grades.

When do you receive your grades? Good luck! :biggrin:
Not an IB student, or a student at all (was a private candidate but was withdrawn from A-Levels) but wanted to wish everyone good luck! I have no idea how IB results work/come out but I hope you all get the grades you want and deserve!
Reply 52
Original post by StrawberryDreams
Yeah so as EH said, I'm pretty sure they won't be targeting you if you don't have your grades yet, it may just be based on your courses and what previous students in a similar demographic may have done. I also can't see Social Work in Clearing for Birmingham yet so it may be that they are being highly selective based on other criteria and not necessarily grades.

When do you receive your grades? Good luck! :biggrin:

https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/courses/d85f3bb8-53a7-f256-b53c-7c706fb631c3?academicYearId=2020

My second choice, i might end up waiting for scottish results day to see if Edinburgh offers SW as I'm an eu student. I get my results at 13:30 GMT, i'll see if my clearing plus changes - it might be that they see my predictions and not my actual grades yet
Original post by xCaHx
https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/courses/d85f3bb8-53a7-f256-b53c-7c706fb631c3?academicYearId=2020

My second choice, i might end up waiting for scottish results day to see if Edinburgh offers SW as I'm an eu student. I get my results at 13:30 GMT, i'll see if my clearing plus changes - it might be that they see my predictions and not my actual grades yet

Thanks for this - it's not on Birmingham's own website yet! Things are trickling in it seems :smile:

Good luck, I'm going to double check with UCAS today re. how the targeting works if you don't yet have your grades, but if you have any updates on changes that would be so helpful!
Reply 54
Original post by 学生の父
So sorry to hear that. Have you received your subject breakdown yet?

39 is still a very solid result; well done. Was the 5 in English required to meet a subject offer, or the language requirement?

Thanks. It was part of the subject requirement. I should have had no grades below 5.
Reply 55
I am not gonna resit or support any of these pieces of sh*t with more money. What they did this year is just hilarious. I was predicted a 45 - I got 39. I have never, but NEVER got lower than 7 in any Maths assessment, somehow I got a 6. I was supposed to do Further Maths HL - they put me a 5 for that. On what criteria? I don't know. 5 for Physics and for Computer Science. And now I have to fight and wait so that I get into my firm choice.

Is this what I worked 2 years of my life for ? I am so annoyed and I regret that I have chosen this sh*tty exam board. It's not about the virus, but about the way they chose to deal with it.

Of course, their answer would be 'if you don't like the grades, you should resit'. Just f**k off
Original post by k0nrad
I am not gonna resit or support any of these pieces of sh*t with more money. What they did this year is just hilarious. I was predicted a 45 - I got 39. I have never, but NEVER got lower than 7 in any Maths assessment, somehow I got a 6. I was supposed to do Further Maths HL - they put me a 5 for that. On what criteria? I don't know. 5 for Physics and for Computer Science. And now I have to fight and wait so that I get into my firm choice.

Is this what I worked 2 years of my life for ? I am so annoyed and I regret that I have chosen this sh*tty exam board. It's not about the virus, but about the way they chose to deal with it.

Of course, their answer would be 'if you don't like the grades, you should resit'. Just f**k off

I'm really sorry to hear this terribly disappointing news. How far off your conditional offer are you?
is there anyone who managed to score close to their predicted or above? Purely so I don't lose all hope
Hi! Unfortunately I got 38 points hence not meeting the offer at UCL of 39 points. Does anyone know how to (effectively) contact the uni to ask if they are willing to bend the offer a little bit (1 point) and still accept me?

plsss help me xx
I’m quite interested as to how ib work out your grades as I don’t take ib s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending