The Student Room Group

Getting a job in law after being arrested

Basically I got arrested and then released without bail under investigation for swearing at a police officer quite a few times, am I right in thinking I have ruined any chance of me working in the legal profession
Original post by 123sptn
Basically I got arrested and then released without bail under investigation for swearing at a police officer quite a few times, am I right in thinking I have ruined any chance of me working in the legal profession

Hey! Although having a criminal record does not prevent you from working in the legal profession it does make it highly difficult to secure a TC (due to extremely high competition). It is not impossible it is just going to hinder your chances. Did you go to law school?
Original post by 123sptn

Nope you will be fine dont worry.
Doesnt sound like you were charged or cautioned. (were you?).
Original post by Frenchrose
Hey! Although having a criminal record does not prevent you from working in the legal profession it does make it highly difficult to secure a TC (due to extremely high competition). It is not impossible it is just going to hinder your chances. Did you go to law school?

Do they have a criminal record?
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Nope you will be fine dont worry.
Doesnt sound like you were charged or cautioned. (were you?).

I wasn’t charged or cautioned I was given a piece of paper saying ‘released without bail notice - under investigation’ so just worried if that will result in me eventually being charged/cautioned? Thanks for the response
Reply 5

Hi thanks for your response. I don’t have a criminal record this is my first (and last) dealing with the police. I am currently an undergraduate studying law.
You will be fine then! :smile:
Reply 7
You will be fine then! :smile:

That’s a relief 😅 thank you
Do they have a criminal record?

In order to assess your character and your suitability as a lawyer the SRA will carry out pre admission applicant screening. Thus they will find out if you have a criminal record. Offences will be looked at on a case by case basis.
Reply 9
Everything is looked at on a case by case basis. - Getting nabbed for peeing on the street for example is seen a lot differently to fare evasion (dishonesty offence)/ rape/ affray or murder.

Your main thing when it comes to criminal records is not convincing the firm but rather the regulator. (SRA/BSB/CILEX)

If you are cautioned it isn't a criminal conviction but it will show up on a DBS check, depending on what the forms ask you'll more than likely have to declare it.

Police cautions are covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act and are immediately spent.

If you're worried have a look with the SRA https://www.sra.org.uk/globalassets/documents/sra/consultations/phase-two-assessment-character-suitability-rules.pdf
Reply 10
Original post by FRS500
Everything is looked at on a case by case basis. - Getting nabbed for peeing on the street for example is seen a lot differently to fare evasion (dishonesty offence)/ rape/ affray or murder.

Your main thing when it comes to criminal records is not convincing the firm but rather the regulator. (SRA/BSB/CILEX)

If you are cautioned it isn't a criminal conviction but it will show up on a DBS check, depending on what the forms ask you'll more than likely have to declare it.

Police cautions are covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act and are immediately spent.

If you're worried have a look with the SRA https://www.sra.org.uk/globalassets/documents/sra/consultations/phase-two-assessment-character-suitability-rules.pdf

Thank you very much I will have a read of this now
Original post by 123sptn
I wasn’t charged or cautioned I was given a piece of paper saying ‘released without bail notice - under investigation’ so just worried if that will result in me eventually being charged/cautioned? Thanks for the response

Its possible that the police keep certain information and if relevant can include it on a DBS. I was under the impression this was past and some time ago. When was it?
Reply 12
Its possible that the police keep certain information and if relevant can include it on a DBS. I was under the impression this was past and some time ago. When was it?

No it was very recent but just a bit confused what Happens next
Original post by 123sptn
No it was very recent but just a bit confused what Happens next

How recent?
Were you just drunk?
They will investigate and decide whetehr to charge you.
Doesnt sound like its worth the paperwork.
Reply 14
How recent?
Were you just drunk?
They will investigate and decide whetehr to charge you.
Doesnt sound like its worth the paperwork.

A couple of days ago, I was arrested and held in a cell for a few hours before being released without bail, had a couple of drinks but was not drunk and the officer at the station said I didn’t seem drunk if that’s worth anything.
Fearing the worst as never dealt with police before
Original post by 123sptn
A couple of days ago, I was arrested and held in a cell for a few hours before being released without bail, had a couple of drinks but was not drunk and the officer at the station said I didn’t seem drunk if that’s worth anything.
Fearing the worst as never dealt with police before

Am not making the connection of why they took you in or why you needed to swear at them

In any event its unclear whats happened, but sounds like you are released without bail but pending investigation. Only the police can telll you or how long that investigation may take. They may drop it they may not.

In the worst case scenario where you are charged with a piblic order offence, then I wouldnt worry about that affecting you, but you may have to disclose it or it will be evidence when you come to apply to the SRA. Presumably you got a case or the officers number? Ask them in a month if you dont hear anything. You should be fine with the SRA, but you may have to supply additional explanation. No point going into fit and properr persons tests. Ots all on the sra site.
Reply 16
Am not making the connection of why they took you in or why you needed to swear at them

In any event its unclear whats happened, but sounds like you are released without bail but pending investigation. Only the police can telll you or how long that investigation may take. They may drop it they may not.

In the worst case scenario where you are charged with a piblic order offence, then I wouldnt worry about that affecting you, but you may have to disclose it or it will be evidence when you come to apply to the SRA. Presumably you got a case or the officers number? Ask them in a month if you dont hear anything. You should be fine with the SRA, but you may have to supply additional explanation. No point going into fit and properr persons tests. Ots all on the sra site.

They originally stopped me because I ‘fit the description’ of someone suspected of criminal damage in the area, but then i got into an argument with the officers and ended up swearing at them and being arrested for it. It was silly of me to swear at them i admit that.

Yeah I was released without bail pending investigation and I’m just unsure what that will entail but as you say they might drop the charges or they might not.

And yeah I will contact them in a few weeks if I hear nothing from them.

Thanks for the response

Quick Reply

Latest